Tractor Supply Bait for Deer

sits in trees

29 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

I hesitate to post this because I don't want to start a war but I have to ask the question. When did hunting become about sitting over a pile of apples and corn or a food plot. I really don't care how anyone else decides to go about harvesting their deer. That's their business, and if it seems a bit unethical to me, or even illegal, I still don't care. Have at it, and enjoy yourself.

But, I wonder if these methods are all that those guys were ever exposed to as they were learning. 

I've been doing this about 30 years......when I started I had a neighbor  that never did anything but buy corn to pour in a spot his entire hunting career from post WW2 to the 90's. And everyone of his buddies did the same including at the hunting shack in the ADK's.

Fun to think about the good ol' days; but guys have been piling apples and corn for  longer than just recent when Tractor Supply came to town. I'm not inclined and why I was never much interested in his camp. 

• Like 2

I would never bait deer, but sometimes I would just like to  try it once...just get a truckload of the licks, apples, Deer Caine, etc. , dump on a main deer trail and just sit and watch....maybe when I'm real old and gray and don't give a crepe anymore...just kiddin'...

2 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

"guys have been piling apples and corn for  longer than just recent when Tractor Supply came to town." 

Dinsdale, Of course they have. If you thought that I was inferring that this practice is something new, I assure you I was not. It just seems like it has become more pervasive the last 15-20 years.

;

3 hours ago, Merlot said:

I would never bait deer, but sometimes I would just like to  try it once...just get a truckload of the licks, apples, Deer Caine, etc. , dump on a main deer trail and just sit and watch....maybe when I'm real old and gray and don't give a crepe anymore...just kiddin'...

Guy who hunted our woods in the past baited all the time before I took over the property. He never got big bucks. I think the older deer know to stay away, at least in daylight hours.

10 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

That's the reason I was told also , we could argue that it's possible to exchange saliva off crops as well . Either way,I'm to lazy to do either .

Yeah like every deer finishes the ear or corn they started or the whole apple off the ground.  The CWD hoax is just an add on to make it sound like its a smart thing to do, or Not.  Wonder if they will try to find a way to stop the deer from being so social with each other and stop all that grooming of one another?

• Like 2

If baiting was as big of a cause of CWD as the states make out to be, NY would be over run with it by now. There are WAY more people baiting than most on here would believe.

When I pick up chicken feed I always take note of how much deer corn they are going through in the warehouse. In the coming weeks this small feed store will be selling a pallet a day. And now we just got a TSC that opened up last week. I’m sure the locals will be stocking up on all the deer candy TSC has to offer.

Personally I don’t see an issue with baiting. It’s happening all around us regardless. Food plotting may not be exactly the same but the goal of pulling deer into a certain area is the same. I grew up watching the old timers feeding all the time and have yet to see any negative side effects of it. That’s over 20 years, if cwd was such a sure thing, why haven’t I seen it yet?

And the myth that the big bucks won’t go near bait piles is just that, a myth. I could upload enough picture proof to overload and crash the forum.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As much as it hurt I had to run into dicks to get my dmp’s on my way back from leaving them a rather large present in the men’s room I came across this fella toting a hundred pounds of deer corn on his buggy.

I long ago stopped giving a crap what other people do but I don’t know if it takes a huge set of nuts to do this or just a total lack of give a F*ck to walk through a store flaunting to everyone that you’re cheating.7cd90ae3644267795c90a20748fb2e2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't give you consent to post my picture

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

I hesitate to post this because I don't want to start a war but I have to ask the question. When did hunting become about sitting over a pile of apples and corn or a food plot. I really don't care how anyone else decides to go about harvesting their deer. That's their business, and if it seems a bit unethical to me, or even illegal, I still don't care. Have at it, and enjoy yourself.

But, I wonder if these methods are all that those guys were ever exposed to as they were learning. Have they ever still hunted or followed a track in fresh snow applying woodsman skills learned, and felt the satisfaction of getting within range of a deer that is unaware of your presence? Or sitting in a little makeshift ground blind,with their back against a tree, at a natural pinch point or intersection of some major deer trails? Or the comradery of getting together with a few neighbors and friends and putting on some small dives on a Saturday or Sunday? 

There used to be a time, when a guy went hunting, his gear included his rifle and shells, a knife, a length of drag rope and a simple compass. Maybe there were a few candy bars or an apple in his coat pockets. The rest of his arsenal was in his brain. The memories and lessons learned from past experiences acquired over the years. It used to take a long time to be considered a good deer hunter. You had to pay dues and earn it. There were no shortcuts.

So, if a guy wants to plunk down his credit card and stare at a pile of apples, more power to 'em. If that's what they think makes a successful deer hunter, then great. I hope they pile em up them like cord wood. But there's so much to the experience that they're missin'. Me, I'm 62 now and crammed full of those lessons learned. I might even be on the back side of the curve, so I think I'm gonna keep doin'  it the old way.

I think there's 2 reasons why people bait. 

1. They're lazy or have such little time in the woods that they are doing what they can for success. And yes I group these together, because if you really wanted to hunt that bad, you could make time. I know I do.

2. Low deer pop. I will honestly and openly admit that while hunting vast public land in Mississippi that I was really considering doing some baiting. I had gone weeks without even a sighting and was picking something up when I walked by some mineral licks and a product called dirt bag. Which is designed specifically to be undetectable. I was really tempted. But I knew any success I had wouldn't feel right. And in MS you can bait so long as you don't hunt over it... which is a weird freaking rule.

Also for what its worth, getting caught on public land where baiting is probably "needed" the most is a heck of a lot more likely than being caught on your own land where there's little to no chance of being caught. You just live with what you did when you brag about that buck.

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

If baiting was as big of a cause of CWD as the states make out to be, NY would be over run with it by now. There are WAY more people baiting than most on here would believe.

1st, it's not the biggest cause, but it doesn't help. Baiting was illegal long before CWD. It's a sporting rule. 2nd, baiting spreads CWD and it's rare to non-existent in NY. It's like going on an airplane without any sick people. You'll be fine when you get off. But if you're surrounded by hacking sneezing people it'll spread a lot quicker on the airplane then if you weren't in contact with it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

But, I wonder if these methods are all that those guys were ever exposed to as they were learning. Have they ever still hunted or followed a track in fresh snow applying woodsman skills learned, and felt the satisfaction of getting within range of a deer that is unaware of your presence? Or sitting in a little makeshift ground blind,with their back against a tree, at a natural pinch point or intersection of some major deer trails? Or the comradery of getting together with a few neighbors and friends and putting on some small dives on a Saturday or Sunday? 

There used to be a time, when a guy went hunting, his gear included his rifle and shells, a knife, a length of drag rope and a simple compass. Maybe there were a few candy bars or an apple in his coat pockets. The rest of his arsenal was in his brain. The memories and lessons learned from past experiences acquired over the years. It used to take a long time to be considered a good deer hunter. You had to pay dues and earn it. There were no shortcuts.

So, if a guy wants to plunk down his credit card and stare at a pile of apples, more power to 'em. If that's what they think makes a successful deer hunter, then great. I hope they pile em up them like cord wood. But there's so much to the experience that they're missin'. Me, I'm 62 now and crammed full of those lessons learned. I might even be on the back side of the curve, so I think I'm gonna keep doin'  it the old way.

So all it is really, is hunting a food source. Same way people have hunted deer forever. Its the same as hunting an oak flat, farm field, apple orchard, etc. The reason tracking and still hunting is not as popular as it used to be, is because in most areas of NY, property sizes are relatively small. I hunt some larger farms (1300+ acres between 3 farms broken up into 5-6 tracts), and even with that much room, its hard to cut a track and catch up to the deer before they cross a property line or two. Still hunting is effective, but I have alot of room to work with. Most people dont, they have 25, 50, 100 acres to work with. Stand hunting is by far, the most effective way to hunt deer, especially on a small property.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

They will even airdrop to remote locations. I hear

now that's doing anything for a sale!  I hear Dick's Spotting Goods also has high powered lights on sale i'll have to ask them about that too. man they keep stocked with all the right gear.

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

....anyway can someone tell me how big of a pile i need to put down to make it effective. i'm not sure as it's right next to a 10 acre secluded corn field that'll be left standing into the season? :rofl:

This should last at least until rifle season before it needs any topping off.

DSCF1647.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As much as it hurt I had to run into dicks to get my dmp’s on my way back from leaving them a rather large present in the men’s room I came across this fella toting a hundred pounds of deer corn on his buggy.

I long ago stopped giving a crap what other people do but I don’t know if it takes a huge set of nuts to do this or just a total lack of give a F*ck to walk through a store flaunting to everyone that you’re cheating.7cd90ae3644267795c90a20748fb2e2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My latest confession, that's me lol.