October 1st

biggamefish

2012-2013

More Bowhunting Opportunity

Bow season in the Southern Zone and the regular season in Westchester County (bowhunting only) will now begin October 1 each year. In the Northern Zone, a new bowhunting season will run for 7 days following the close of the regular season in areas that also have a late muzzleloader season.

2013 was first season with Oct. 1 opener

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hate that change more than anything else hunting related

no the sat operning for gun was the worse by far.. many just dont hunt bow till later but the gun change killled hunting camps and many buisnesses in southern tier..jmo

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, G-Man said:

no the sat operning for gun was the worse by far.. many just dont hunt bow till later but the gun change killled hunting camps and many buisnesses in southern tier..jmo

Thats why I hate it, the two arent mutually exclusive. We lost the best (IMO) weekend of bowhunting and were given 10/1 opener. Im not some snob bowhunter either but I loved the Monday opener for the reasons you mentioned

• Like 2

I'm not sure why anybody would care about a 10/1 opener. I've seen people say because it's to warm, and I respond don't hunt then. My dad says there are to many leaves, I tell him so don't hunt then. Me I love it! I see more deer in those 2 weeks then the rest of the season combined.

It's not 10/1, it's losing the third weekend in November. I always loved that weekend for bow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob... said:

How did you loose the third week in November? If I may ask.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

when they moved archery to oct 1st from the 15th they moved the gun opening day from 3rd monday to 3rd sat. thus a last weekend of bow and turkey was lost . we always hunted turkey the last weekend before gun, visited other camps, went into town ,poker/ euchre nights stacked wood for the week.... many time s the monday fell on. thanksgiving week so 3 days gave you all week off as most places are closed thsnksgiving and day after..

• Like 4

I for sure miss the Monday opener bow hunt saturday morning party and play poker saturday night recuperate on sunday and have an entire week to gun hunt because you only had to take 3 days off because i already had thanksgiving and friday off. 

Seemed like there were way more guys in the woods for a Monday opener vs saturday opener.

• Like 2

I understand the reasoning for not liking the Saturday gun opener VS the Monday opener. If you have a camp that was the weekend to visit neighbors, get a little crazy with the booze, and catch up. I don;t understand how it cost the whole week. I am not trying to start a ruckus, I honestly don't see how changing the SZ opener by two days can cost a week. If you prefer to be in the woods with a bow that week you certainly still can. Again, I am not being a smart ass.