Who carries a handgun while hunting?

Years ago I used to. As time went by, I realized it was really just extra weight....anthing...ANYTHING....that may require a bullet I figure could just as well be handled with whatever rifle I was carrying. if a 2nd shot was needed, a neat shot at the base of the skull worked fine. For a while I carried a .22 pistol, thinking for small game. Then I decided if I was deer hunting, I was deer hunting. Honestly, I don't believe there is anything in the woods  I need to worry much about,  and goons tend to prefer places where there are more people to pick from...not secluded areas where they are probably armed. Anyone else in the woods I am more likely to see first, and can avoid if I so choose. 

7 minutes ago, philoshop said:

image.jpeg.06ee08708ebecddef6106d90161f04af.jpeg

.44 Mag. Custom grips by the PhiloCustomShop, from which my screen name comes. I need to get that forend out in the sun a bit more. The grip stock is on there year 'round for woodchuck duty, but the forend stock doesn't get much sun during deer season.

Could it be oils from hand has grip stock darkened more than forend too? Even though both treated same way.    Purty looking gun, great work !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwoSeventy said:

It,s perfectly legal as long as you carry it concealed that  is if  that,s what,s on your Permit. I carry my S@W Shield 45 acp along with my 300 Magnum Cannon.

Not true.  carry concealed means nothing versus target/hunting during archery/ muzzle loader season.  No firearm shall be carried.    regular gun/rifle season it's legal to carry a handgun

• Like 1

It,s perfectly legal as long as you carry it concealed that  is if  that,s what,s on your Permit. I carry my S@W Shield 45 acp along with my 300 Magnum Cannon.

Wrong answer for some seasons. Another stupid Ny law that goes by the wayside for many hunters. I can carry for bow bear but not bow deer? Is a bear not going to attack if it's deer season if it's so inclined? Will always have something regardless of season. I would like to see their answer if some unlucky sap did get ate up by a bear during bow deer season. I know who that sap won't be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, TwoSeventy said:

Your saying it,s ok to carry your Handgun in a open side holster while Deer Hunting is that correct if as long as your hunting with your center fire rifle?

It is illegal to carry a firearm of ANY type when bowhunting during the special bowhunting season...

Other than that, you can carry at any time, as far as I know, except perhaps when mentoring a youth  hunter during the special youth hunt.....

4 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Wrong answer for some seasons. Another stupid Ny law that goes by the wayside for many hunters. I can carry for bow bear but not bow deer? Is a bear not going to attack if it's deer season if it's so inclined? Will always have something regardless of season. I would like to see their answer if some unlucky sap did get ate up by a bear during bow deer season. I know who that sap won't be.

What is legal and what you choose to do is entirely up to you, as far as I am concerned...

Just don't whine if you get busted...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Could it be oils from hand has grip stock darkened more than forend too? Even though both treated same way.    Purty looking gun, great work !

The fore stock just hasn't gotten the same amount of sunlight. I'll need to make it a tanning bed next summer so it can catch up.

I've been looking for a photo of the 16"  .223  that gets the woodchucks. Varmint artillery baby! Pushing 300 yards!! Whack 'em out so far you need a ride to verify.

What is legal and what you choose to do is entirely up to you, as far as I am concerned...

I believe you can carry during early bow bear season. I am also not real worried about ever getting frisked to see if I have a pistol while doing any kind of hunting.

• Like 1

The fore stock just hasn't gotten the same amount of sunlight. I'll need to make it a tanning bed next summer so it can catch up.
I've been looking for a photo of the 16"  .223  that gets the woodchucks. Varmint artillery baby! Pushing 300 yards!! Whack 'em out so far you need a ride to verify.

e7c353230f5e52ea54184db3a8440ff2.jpg. Sweet machine here for that purpose also. Love the look of that wood on yours.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Sig Sauer P220 10mm Hunter.  180 gr sig v crown.  Too many bears and only 1 of me.

20181021_161928.jpg

14 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Sig Sauer P220 10mm Hunter.  180 gr sig v crown.  Too many bears and only 1 of me.

20181021_161928.jpg

Beautiful Gun awsum.

2 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

e7c353230f5e52ea54184db3a8440ff2.jpg. Sweet machine here for that purpose also. Love the look of that wood on yours.

I picked that out of a truck load of hard maple we got into the shop one day. There wasn't very much with any real "curl" or character to it except for the 3 foot end of this one board. I snagged it, because I had that privilege. Not enough to make a full gunstock out of but just right for a few pistol parts.

2 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

In the nys pistol permit laws your completely legal to carry your concealed hunting anytime, nydec it is a violation to have your handgun though. If I ever get to that point so be it, I’ll take it to court then pay the fine if I have too.

Same as “ restrictions “ placed on permits, hunting, target only are just a judges administrative restriction. You were issued a NYS concealed carry permit, you break no law by carrying for other times then the “ restrictions .”

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TwoSeventy said:

We,ll I asked a retired NYS Trooper about that and he smiled and never really gave me a straight answer on that. I,m quite sure your right.

17 hours ago, TwoSeventy said:

Your saying it,s ok to carry your Handgun in a open side holster while Deer Hunting is that correct if as long as your hunting with your center fire rifle?

Asking a retired trooper and reading the regulations are very different. I know which I'd trust. You don't even need your center fire rifle with you during the regular season. While hunting you can open carry whatever you want. It's your right to hunt with that pistol. NY of course, unlike some states still requires you to have a permit and to have that handgun registered to  your permit regardless if you're cc or hunting with it. Some counties are even tough to get a cc and all you get is target and hunting.

17 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I don't cc during bow or gun. I've never felt threatened on  my dad's land, but I understand those that might hunt public land have a good reason. This is one of those areas kind of like having 10 rounds in my mag instead of 7 and if I need all 10 to defend myself or family, I'll deal with those consequences later, knowing I'm alive. I doubt many wardens would pat down a bowhunter looking for a concealed handgun... unless of course you use it to kill an injured deer. Which many would also argue is illegal, but ethical. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I do but have it has nothing to do with the woods and everything to do with walking out to my truck with an unloaded rifle.

Why do you have to walk out to your truck with an unloaded rifle?

After sunset when coming out of the wood,s deer hunting during gunning season it,s illegal to have a loaded hunting implement except permit Handgun,s.  Shit, and how did wining get into this conversation if you get busted. Do you think your talking to children. What a dam remark to make. Do you think your better than anyone else in this club. Man that remark upset me.If I get God dam busted that,s my God dam business not your,s ok. Shit, I,m outa here.