Who carries a handgun while hunting?

On the way in last night I saw a state trooper car at the farmhouse, so I stopped to see what the hubbub was.  I guess our neighbors had their trail cameras all stolen and the officer was talking to my aunt and uncle by marriage.  I mentioned I was on my way out to the stand (pretty obvious in full camo) and had my 10 mil on my hip.  Dude didn't say a word.  I get that it's technically a fine, but like many things they just have better things to do.  I do think an encon officer would probably ticket me.  I just think it's worth the price if I get caught.  I feel alot better in pitch black walking a mile through bear territory back to the quad.  To each their own!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Belo said:

agreed. But then we get into the "after sunset" with a loaded gun debate :rofl:

Ah no coyote season.

I actually had two DEC officers stop me coming out after dark last year on public land. I was out of stand at end of legal and a good 30 minute walk. I usually empty the gun but it was pissing rain and i'd rather do it at the truck. Any how they ask if my gun is unloaded. I'm like no. They are like why not. My answer was there is no law against me carrying a loaded long gun. They left me alone and went on their way.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, nobody said:

After sunset when coming out of the wood,s deer hunting during gunning season it,s illegal to have a loaded hunting implement except permit Handgun,s.  Shit, and how did wining get into this conversation if you get busted. Do you think your talking to children. What a dam remark to make. Do you think your better than anyone else in this club. Man that remark upset me.If I get God dam busted that,s my God dam business not your,s ok. Shit, I,m outa here.

15 minutes ago, nobody said:

SHIT, I,M ALL DONE WITH THIS CLUB FORUM EFFECTIVE NOW.

does anyone have any idea what's going here? Is there a filter I need to turn on to decode this?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Don’t have to, I’m usually waking a long ways in the darn and usually unload it for the walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. Like I said I usually do to. I was just interested because some folks and some DEC seem to think you have to be unloaded after dark.

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Gotcha. Like I said I usually do to. I was just interested because some folks and some DEC seem to think you have to be unloaded after dark.

Technically a hunting reg. Not a bad idea though, for safety. Hence, why I am always strapped when I hunt, I am still able to defend myself when my rifle is cleared.

48 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Can someone post that regulation?

It's not black and white if i remember. We've had multiple page threads on it. I always found it interesting watching some of the hunting shows out west where they dont even chamber the round till they're in shooting position. I generally understand not having one in the pipe, but always like having the mag loaded regardless. 

I once had a conservation officer explain it to me that most of the time the assumption is if the gun is loaded you are assumed to be hunting. He was prepared to give me a "hunting after hours ticket" until he found out it(shot gun) wasn't loaded.

It is probably like most laws and depends on who is interpreting it and how they want to interpret it. For whatever reason pistols are different.

I once had a conservation officer explain it to me that most of the time the assumption is if the gun is loaded you are assumed to be hunting. He was prepared to give me a "hunting after hours ticket" until he found out it(shot gun) wasn't loaded.
 It is probably like most laws and depends on who is interpreting it and how they want to interpret it. For whatever reason pistols are different.

All that has to be said is I was looking for coyotes on my way out. He can’t prove you weren’t and that is 100% legal if you ever fought that ticket in court and said that you would win 100%..... you could also say you were bow hunting coyote and carried a side arm during bow season also 100% legal and they can’t prove you weren’t... one way to get In trouble is if you have a down deer during bow season and have a hand gun with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

All that has to be said is I was looking for coyotes on my way out. He can’t prove you weren’t and that is 100% legal if you ever fought that ticket in court and said that you would win 100%

I just figure why push my luck. I don't think to many Conservation officers would buy that story considering I am in blaze orange and carrying slugs. It is hard in this area to convince them you are not poaching deer when out predator hunting.

And besides I am not a big fan of courts. I would rather avoid a ticket than have to fight one.

It’s not a law . Although some down state Econ officers seem to think so  from  what I read here in the past .  I’ve had this discussion with Econ Officers I know ,where I hunt in reg 8 . No issue walking in/out loaded long gun in dark .

Theres a reason why nobody can post a link to the “Law” .

• Like 2

On 10/30/2018 at 8:50 PM, Steve D said:

I just figure why push my luck. I don't think to many Conservation officers would buy that story considering I am in blaze orange and carrying slugs. It is hard in this area to convince them you are not poaching deer when out predator hunting.

And besides I am not a big fan of courts. I would rather avoid a ticket than have to fight one.

It's always up to the officer. That's why we've had so many 20 page threads on these kinds of topics. Too many members try to get into little technicalities and while they may win in court, I've just never thought it was worth the hassle.

However, to your point. If I was yote hunting in the deer woods, I'd still be wanting to wear blaze while I traveled. 

10 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

It’s not a law . Although some down state Econ officers seem to think so  from  what I read here in the past .  I’ve had this discussion with Econ Officers I know ,where I hunt in reg 8 . No issue walking in/out loaded long gun in dark .

Theres a reason why nobody can post a link to the “Law” .

The text was posted, which we've all read many times. However, it sounds like you're saying NY DEC mentions this but actually has no law it's leveraging in this claim...? That sounds entirely plausible.

Here's a question: is anybody here aware of a person with a concealed carry permit ever being charged for having a concealed, otherwise-legal pistol on them during bow season? My guess is nobody is :)

On 11/7/2018 at 7:13 PM, Nytracker said:

Hard to decide which one but for deer my sbhh in 44 mag gets some love 240 grain xtp over 21.5 grains of h110. But then again the rifle hasn't been out of the safe in more than a few years.

IMG_20130320_060123-1.jpg

Nice piece. Everytime I go to my local gun store I am always tempted by the .357 revolvers. Love the Taurus in particular.