New member - rookie hunter

Mozzie27

Hi all-

Moved from the city to Westchester last year and been hunting for about 3 years - or as I call it - hiking with a bow and rifle. 

Trying to learn the hunting craft mostly on my own since hunting isn’t a big interest for people from the city. 

Willing to to learn and discuss. Thanks for having me guys

• Like 1

Thanks for joining our "family". I'm a long way from Westchester, but I'll give you the most sound advice I've heard in the last 50 years: just spend as much time in the woods as you can. Even if it's only a couple of hours. And don't just "hike". Stop often, watch, listen, pay attention, and be curious about everything that moves or makes a noise. The more comfortable you become in the woods, knowing how the birds and squirrels, and the nearby traffic on the road operate and such, the better hunter you can become. Just friendly advice from an older guy. Best of luck to you.

Welcome aboard.  There's a lot more hunters in the city than one might think.  We're just all under cover.  Been working with someone for over a year now and never knew we both hunted.  I mentioned it once to the one of the security guards and he mentioned it to him once as well.  The security guard was like "you should talk to this person...he hunts too."

Here’s what you need to know:
Drink what Turkeyfeathers drinks, eat like Bionic, vacation like Biz, pray like Wolc, and whatever Grampy says LISTEN! Oh yeah, watch out for Paula- she’s got a wild side to her!

Don’t take yourself or others too serious when on here..couple of class act ball busters for sure!

Supposedly Westchester gives deer away but that has not always been my experience. Where you hunting? Private? Watershed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/25/2018 at 5:37 PM, Dinsdale said:

More self taught folks then you'd think, so don't be bashful.

You'll get some good advice too; ^^^see philoshops' post above

Thanks for that, Dinsdale. It's the most important piece of hunting advice I've ever received. And I got it from my Italian grandfather in broken English, "if you don't understand the woods, how do you expect to know how the animals in the woods live?"

A very simple statement that speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, Mozzie27 said:

Appreciate all the good vibes. Thanks all. 

Just spend time learning the woods, my friend.The critters spend 24/7 there and they know it better than you ever will, but your brain is bigger and more adaptive. That makes it a fairer fight in the end, but you have to do your homewoodswork.