chefhunter86 2018 Whitetail Classic Entry

chefhunter86, can you get me a better pic of that 7th point on your buck? I need to determine if it meets the 1 inch guideline.
Congrats on all of your successful harvests so far!

e7a3f1813fcb60432bfb9f793970b16e.png

That’s the best one I got it’s pretty close, and I’m perfectly ok with just calling it a 6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, hconn2018 said:

One thing to shoot it and not brag about it but to post it for "points" lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 11/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, 52 farmer said:

Wow-IMO-shameful

i know they're not going to see it but.... i'm one for strongly advising against shooting button bucks. that said i respect him more for posting it and admitting he made an error. points or not points matters nothing it's dead and won't be for nothing. the world won't end. life moves on. congrats @chefhunter86! nice job John.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i know they're not going to see it but.... i'm one for strongly advising against shooting button bucks. that said i respect him more for posting it and admitting he made an error. points or not points matters nothing it's dead and won't be for nothing. the world won't end. life moves on. congrats @chefhunter86! nice job John.

I dont like shooting buttons, but thats just my preference. I will never bash anyone for taking the deer of their choice as long as its legal. I will not tolerate bashing people in this contest at all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

i know they're not going to see it but.... i'm one for strongly advising against shooting button bucks. that said i respect him more for posting it and admitting he made an error. points or not points matters nothing it's dead and won't be for nothing. the world won't end. life moves on. congrats [mention=762]chefhunter86[/mention]! nice job John.

Thanks and yea. If I knew it was a button there was no way I would have shot it. I thought it was a doe lol

35 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Thanks and yea. If I knew it was a button there was no way I would have shot it. I thought it was a doe lol

last season or the one before a young hunter on the farm belly crawled up to what he thought was a huge doe the last weekend in muzzleloader season. shot it at 20 yards. walked up to it and it was a buck that shed it's antlers. from the jawbone, pedicle bases, and weight it was a smaller bodied 2.5 yr old buck. things like that can happen. no worries. he was all bothered at first and i just said it was fine and actually a story and hunt he'll always remember. we even use it as another example to the other hunters now why you should take doe earlier vs later in the season.  late season for multiple reasons that button buck would be even harder to tell the difference from a doe.

chefhunter86, can you get me a better pic of that 7th point on your buck? I need to determine if it meets the 1 inch guideline.
Congrats on all of your successful harvests so far!

Just for clarification and I’m good either way. How is the BB scored for the contest?

On 11/5/2018 at 12:23 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

52Farmer and hconn2018 have been banned from the site. This kind of thing will not be tolerated and will result in an immediate banning with no warning.

really? instant ban with no warning? I've seen a lot worse let slide without so much as a slap on the wrist. 

fwiw, I think the pic and post is what struck some, not the actual taking of a legal deer. We've probably  all done it. I know I have. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 11:14 AM, chefhunter86 said:

Button buck filled on my dmp, not thrilled about it but I’ll take the contest points

5d9d1ef6f66ef882e355ae273256a1f7.heic

I shot one about that size in 1990 with my recurve bow. We roasted it whole for about 10 hours at a keg party on my 40th birthday. The cavity was filled with potatoes, carrots and onions.  When we placed it on the table I gave a little speech. "I know I promised everyone that we would roast a deer.  I didn't get one so I shot the neighbors dog instead."

After 20 minutes there was nothing but bones left on the aluminum foil that we had wrapped the deer in.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Since this was an honest mistake, and Chef has no more antlerless permits, I would be ok with him being allowed to enter a 3rd buck with his gun tag, including any "extra points" for the antlers.  I do not want such an exception myself (if I happen to kill a BB), but I have (4) DMP tags so it should not be as big of an issue for me.  It does not seem fair that one "mistake" may take Chef out of the running, when he was off to such a great start on this contest.  It is not his fault that doe permits are so hard to get in his zone and he needed three preference points to get one.  Especially when you consider that so many others in the contest hunt zones where they are handed out like candy.  

I have killed more button bucks than I can recall, and none of them were "mistakes".  Antlerless deer sightings are few and far between, where I do most of my hunting.  I will seldom pass a shot opportunity on one, if I have a tag.   I always target the largest antlerless deer first, from a group.  If there is not a mature doe in the group, that is usually a button buck.  In 35 seasons I have yet to kill a doe fawn.  A few of the button bucks were "doubles" after their mother was "anchored" with a shoulder blade shot.    

Did you save the liver Chef ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Since this was an honest mistake, and Chef has no more antlerless permits, I would be ok with him being allowed to enter a 3rd buck with his gun tag, including any "extra points" for the antlers.  I do not want such an exception myself (if I happen to kill a BB), but I have (4) DMP tags so it should not be as big of an issue for me.  It does not seem fair that one "mistake" may take Chef out of the running, when he was off to such a great start on this contest.  It is not his fault that doe permits are so hard to get in his zone and he needed three preference points to get one.  Especially when you consider that so many others in the contest hunt zones where they are handed out like candy.  

I have killed more button bucks than I can recall, and none of them were "mistakes".  Antlerless deer sightings are few and far between, where I do most of my hunting.  I will seldom pass a shot opportunity on one, if I have a tag.   I always target the largest antlerless deer first, from a group.  If there is not a mature doe in the group, that is usually a button buck.  In 35 seasons I have yet to kill a doe fawn.  A few of the button bucks were "doubles" after their mother was "anchored" with a shoulder blade shot.    

A button buck is the same as a doe, "antlerless". It should not count as a buck in this contest IMO.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

A button buck is the same as a doe, "antlerless". It should not count as a buck in this contest IMO.

I thought so to, but the moderator made it clear to me that was not the case when I asked prior to the entry cut-off date.   

Thanks pal, im good either way, just felt i should be honest with my post. It’s been a great season for Me either way...

• Like 1

I thought so to, but the moderator made it clear to me that was not the case when I asked prior to the entry cut-off date.   

Maybe if I get a buck during gun i could withdraw this one and at least enter the other

Maybe, but you would still be getting jipped out of your "doe" points that way.   

Yea it’s no big deal though it’s all for fun, you are all a great group of guys and I’m enjoying this season with u all

• Like 4

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

It’s a doe since that is the legal tag used....10 points! Kill a well- pointed buck in gun

Not per the printed contest rules.  Hopefully, the administrators will permit an exception to the "two bucks and two does" part, in this special case, due to the limited availability of DMP tags in his hunting zone (3 preference points required).    

Not per the printed contest rules.  Hopefully, the administrators will permit an exception to the "two bucks and two does" part, in this special case, due to the limited availability of DMP tags in his hunting zone (3 preference points required).    

b2a92e80cd676144a92b15ebede216e7.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Belo said:

really? instant ban with no warning? I've seen a lot worse let slide without so much as a slap on the wrist. 

fwiw, I think the pic and post is what struck some, not the actual taking of a legal deer. We've probably  all done it. I know I have. 

Yep. This contest is meant to be fun and enjoyable for all of our members, and we do not want anyone to feel like they should be ashamed of any deer that they legally take and want to enter into the contest. We are normally pretty lenient in the regular threads, but anyone that chooses to bring that sort of nonsense into the contest threads will be immediately banned.

38 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Yep. This contest is meant to be fun and enjoyable for all of our members, and we do not want anyone to feel like they should be ashamed of any deer that they legally take and want to enter into the contest. We are normally pretty lenient in the regular threads, but anyone that chooses to bring that sort of nonsense into the contest threads will be immediately banned.

fair enough. Not sure hconn really said anything all that bad though.