wolc123 2018 Whitetail Classic Entry

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Love the PA chest measurement

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Next to the butt-out II, which I purchased on Chef's recommendation, that was the best thing I learned from this forum.  I have to thank G-man for providing that a few years ago.  It is a big help in estimated the amount of venison I need to get our family thru a year.  Surprisingly, the butt-out worked well on this one.  The last time I tried it on a bb that my buddy killed in 2016, it failed miserably.  

One thing is for sure, I am going to be real careful to get all of the 57 pounds of edible meat (per the PA chart) that I can from this one.  I ate the tenderloins for lunch yesterday and they were unbelievable.  I am not going to count any unhatched chickens, this may be the only deer I get this year.   

On 11/12/2018 at 10:28 AM, kpkot said:

Nice job wolc & congrats. Not starting any trouble here, but if you can get 50# off that deer can I hire you for processing my deer?

I finished processing the bb tonight.  It made 12 quart packs of grind and about an equal volume of other cuts including (5) roasts from the rear, a bone-in neck roast, (2) quart vacuum bags of backstrap, and one of "hidden tenderloins".  Looks like right around 50 pounds, not counting the the regular tenderloins, heart and liver.   The PA chest girth chart, using a tight tape measure for the measurement, appears to be almost spot-on for Western New York button-bucks anyhow.  

I think I killed this ones father last season, a year ago to the day.  The body shapes were very similar.  The bb had thick, easily recoverable meat over the rib-cage, just like his poppa did and each of their last meals came from the same clover patch.  The older buck produced almost exactly double the amount of meat, which also matched up good to the PA chart for his 43" chest girth.  Although they never met while alive,  it is cool to see them together now in "deer heaven" (our family's food supply).  There are still a few of the old buck's roasts left in the freezer.       

Just as comparison the pay chart doesn’t work with deer for southern eastern part of state (aka by the city)...my 188 # field dressed deer (aka 230 or so on the hoof with some formula) will yield me about 65 pounds when I’m all done. I did not collect any heart, lungs, testes , etc and I am super picky about fat and sinew and it hung for 12 days so I lost some from the Hinds due to aging...and I am thrilled with 65lbs.

Wolf’s got that “loaves and fishes” thingy going on out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/13/2018 at 11:18 PM, wolc123 said:

I finished processing the bb tonight.  It made 12 quart packs of grind and about an equal volume of other cuts including (5) roasts from the rear, a bone-in neck roast, (2) quart vacuum bags of backstrap, and one of "hidden tenderloins".  Looks like right around 50 pounds, not counting the the regular tenderloins, heart and liver.   The PA chest girth chart, using a tight tape measure for the measurement, appears to be almost spot-on for Western New York button-bucks anyhow.  

I think I killed this ones father last season, a year ago to the day.  The body shapes were very similar.  The bb had thick, easily recoverable meat over the rib-cage, just like his poppa did and each of their last meals came from the same clover patch.  The older buck produced almost exactly double the amount of meat, which also matched up good to the PA chart for his 43" chest girth.  Although they never met while alive,  it is cool to see them together now in "deer heaven" (our family's food supply).  There are still a few of the old buck's roasts left in the freezer.       

Big, early born button bucks in your area. Congrats!

Come on man. Without DNA testing, how can you possibly think you know if a buck you killed last year is the father of a BB this year?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Come on man. Without DNA testing, how can you possibly think you know if a buck you killed last year is the father of a BB this year?

Totally freakin Clueless. Amazes me how one can actually sit and type the stuff that one does. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I actually find Wolc's posts entertaining.  He sort of reminds me of that guy who sells pillows on TV.   Wolc would be an awesome salesman for the PA girth chart and butt-out tool.

You loved it so much you repeated yourself so we all were sure to catch it. lol

Just now, chefhunter86 said:

Congrats man nice buck!

Thanks, I had to get myself out of last place of "scored" contestants.   The downside is no more gun-season NY buck tag, but this one should give us plenty of grind to make it thru to next year.   I will probably grind all but the backstraps.  I don't know how much of them I can save because that is where my slug hit.   I am thankful that I made roasts from the bb.  With my buck tag punched,  it looks like I will be grouse and bear hunting over Thankgiving holiday, up in the Adirondacks.   I was looking forward to tracking some bucks in the snow up there.   Oh well, there is always next year.

I hope your lead holds, but Rob is going to be tough with that 15 pointer.  You got me by an inch on inside spread and the odds of me taking an antlered buck with my ML tag are slim.  I have only ever killed bb's in the late ML season.   Now that we have enough meat, the odds of me filling any of my last three DMP's is also pretty slim.