What Is Your Knife Preference?

kenmat1

I'll be donating a knife as a prize in an upcoming contest and rather than just providing something I like, I thought I'd get some input from the group.

So, let me know what you like, fixed or folder; blade length; serations yes/no; blade shape/style; working knife or collectible, etc. You can also name a specific knife by brand and model as a suggestion.

Any input will be appreciated.

Ken Mathison

www.kmeoutfitters.com

I'm with Eddie- a fine choice and a very practical hunting blade. Tough as nails too. I had one years ago that I lost in the woods somewhere. I look for it to this day but am afraid someone else has stumbled on it.

I have an old black military style knife that I bought at a National hunting & Fishing Day flea market years ago for $5. One would have expected that I probably got ripped off, but amazingly enough, it turned out to a very heavy, sturdy, thing made out of some of the best steel of all the knives in my rather substantial collection. The thing holds an edge forever, but when sharpening is required it takes no time at all to put a shaving edge on it. I have had that knife for close to 20 years, and use it for everything from wacking limbs off trees to gutting my deer. The only modification that I had to make was to grind off the cutting edge that ran up about 2" from the end, opposite the main cutting edge. I did that for my own safety after knicking myself on it while gutting a deer.

Doc

I carry two knives hunting a Buck Muskrat (discontinued) and a 110 Folding Hunter. Mostly for field dressing I use the Muskrat. If I use the 110 its generally just to get the anus completly free of the channel through the pelvis. For skinning deer nothing no nothing beats an Alaskan Ulu. I see too many guys with 6-8" fixed blade knives cut open the gut on deer messy,smelly, and ruins meat.

That reminds me of one year we stopped in the local bar for supper after a day of deer hunting,there were a bunch of down staters walking around with there bowie knives on there sides.One older gent asked them if the used them to chop town brush ect.One said this is what we use to gut our deer.The old fellow pulls a folding pocket knife out of his pocket with a 3" blade and said I have been gutting deer for 50 years and every year with this here knife. 

• 2 months later...

The two knives I use the most are a Puma  3" folder and a Buck Pro-Line fixed blade 4"....

The Puma takes a razor edge quicker than the Buck and is more compact.. However, the Buck holds it's edge longer .. Both are great knives..

I also have a Buck 110 folder that my ex-wife bought me for Xmas  in 1971, the first year we were married..

It is a super knife...On a float trip in Alaska in 1989, I butchered two bull moose in one day by myself using  that Buck knife and a 12" Wyoming saw..  I no longer carry it, for sentimental reasons.. I  have lots of other knives to use and do not want to lose it...