So whats a "shooter" buck.... For you.

Robhuntandfish

For me a shooter buck depends on how the season is going and what time of year.  If i have a doe or two in the freezer i tend to look for something bigger. 5 point walks by, the freezer is empty and its the first week of Nov, i probably take it.  I have buddies that a shooter buck is the first one in range and buddies that wont shoot a buck unless its gonna hang on the wall.  Where i hunt there isnt a lot of huge bucks to just pass anything by.  Last year i passed on a 7 point that is a deer i would never have passed before because i already had meat in the freezer.  I say take the one that makes you happy of course, but what is your cut line.  Mine is kinda odd - I tend to pass anything with 4 points or less/ take anything 5 points or more.  I generally get enough chances on a doe to check meat off the list and a 5 point is a good representative of where i hunt.  I have never gotten a monster wall hanger and have held out a few seasons trying to get one.  But with the neighbors all hunting hard in gun season, just not a lot of large bucks around.  but i can say i am always happy with that 5 point anyway ! lol.  

last year passed on this 7 at 7 yards hoping for a big one.  Prob should have shot it cause it was such a great hunt.   I rattled him in and he was ripping up bushes showing off and looking for me.  I prob wont pass him this year ..... probably.  But i think a lot of that depends on what you have to hunt for sure.  If you 8 big bucks around or just one it def makes a difference. and would think a big buck on public land is so much tougher than private land.   I didnt even fill a buck tag last year but hoping to this year - cmon 5 point!  

So whats a "shooter" for you?  

a stota buck.JPG

• Like 3

Very similar for me to how you described it. Depends on my situation and attitude that day. I have shot a few forkhorns,but generally i am looking for at least a 2.5 year old. I know there are bigger ones around,but those guys only show up on the camera for the most part. I passed a six point last year in the middle of bow season and that ended empty handed for me. I got close several times to an 8 point on the ground,that was thrilling. Never quite connected,until gun season. That morning i could have shot him with the bow,figures.

I think i saw or got closer to more bigger bucks last year than the years before,so i hope that trend continues. 

I have to say too,an old doe can be very clever as well. I was stalking a group of deer and was doing good,getting to 40 yds until the lead doe crested the knoll,she picked me out in 2 seconds.

• Like 1

It depends on the state of my freezer. If my freezer is empty, every buck is a shooter buck. If I have a deer in the freezer, I will be more selective. Last year I passed on a 4 pointer while the freezer was empty. I was confident I would get a deer with 2 weeks left in the season. I didn't end up getting a chance at another deer so I have had an empty freezer all year. I won't make that mistake again.

• Like 2

A shooter buck to me has to be atleast 3.5 yrs old. I strive for 4.5yr olds and better but it depends on how the season is going as well. But nothing under 3.5yr for me unless its injured or what not. I have no problem passing bucks. I dont need to harvest a buck every year, im past that point in my life. In fact I dont even need to take a doe. Just being in the tree is successful enough for me really. After wounding a few slammer bucks over the years and not finding them... Unless the shot is absolutely perfect I wont take it.. I've passed many good bucks due to the shot not being perfect. No longer will i force a shot..

My wife hasnt seemed to enjoy venison the last couple years as much as she has before, so maybe that helps me some for being more patient in a stand.. 

• Like 2

This is an age old question. I think to many people get wrapped up in what other people are pushing (T.V shows, Magazines. etc.). I think people actually don't shoot a smaller buck just because they might get ridiculed and it ruins their season.

That being said, I am like you it depends on my freezer. I like to eat venison to much to not have some in the freezer. 

You always have that one deer who might not be a wall hanger but he came in and kept you on your toes, made your heart jump in your throat. The shakes hit you and when he/she presented you the shot it was an automatic thing you just pulled the bow back or raised the gun. Those are the hunts you will always remember, and they way hunting should be. It a different journey for everyone and there is no right or wrong as long it is legal.

• Like 2

Is there where I insert “ if it’s brown it’s down ?”     I’ve only seen two slob bucks all these years while hunting. One of which was a real giant I hit and lost on thanksgiving a few years ago. Tracked him forever on what I’m pretty sure I hit an inch or so outside the boiler room in the brisket. Still pains me today. But you guys keep saying archery season I’ll see a bunch of bucks unlike gun season where I barely see any. I plan on being quite selective this year   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

A shooter buck to me has to be atleast 3.5 yrs old. I strive for 4.5yr olds and better but it depends on how the season is going as well. But nothing under 3.5yr for me unless its injured or what not. I have no problem passing bucks. I dont need to harvest a buck every year, im past that point in my life. In fact I dont even need to take a doe. Just being in the tree is successful enough for me really. After wounding a few slammer bucks over the years and not finding them... Unless the shot is absolutely perfect I wont take it.. I've passed many good bucks due to the shot not being perfect. No longer will i force a shot..

My wife hasnt seemed to enjoy venison the last couple years as much as she has before, so maybe that helps me some for being more patient in a stand.. 

What he said............

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, J.B. said:

I usually start the season off with the idea that i will wait on one that has at least 8 points or is outside of his ears. When Thanksgiving rolls around those standards drop pretty quick if the freezer is still empty. 

Yeah, this is kind of where i am at too.  Only been hunting for a couple of years though... so my stand on this can change pretty quickly. 

I'll know it when I see it. I haven't got a lot that I have to prove to anyone anymore (even myself). So if it can be converted into venison, it had better keep it's distance.

No really, I am getting of the age where it doesn't even have to be a buck to meet my minimums. In fact smaller is probably better from a safe dragging perspective.

• Like 4

For me it would depend on how much work I had to do to get a shot. I put a stalk on a doe a couple years ago while she was in a field feeding, it was a bunch of low crawls and finding stuff to hide behind . The experience and rush of that hunt sticks with me as much as the biggest buck I ever took.

• Like 6

My situation is very similar.   It has been more than 10 years, since I tagged one with less than three points on a side.   We are usually very busy at work during hunting season, so my opportunities are typically limited to weekends and one or two vacation days (if I am lucky).  At the same time, my family of four depends on venison for the bulk of our protein and I am the only one who hunts.   Prior to gaining access to some decent hunting up in the northern zone, I was basically a "brown-down" guy.   Now, I generally pass those with less than three points on a side, during the first half of the seasons (archery and bow).   That said, my passes are few and far between, and I could probably count them on two hands over 35 years of hunting.   I did not fill my gun tag last fall and I passed a 1.5 year old six-point.  That was because the only time he offered me a shot, he was standing on posted land.   He was pointed towards my dad's property, and had walked from it, but breaking the law is not in my nature. 

Like TF, I have also not seen too many "slobs" while hunting, but have bagged a few thru the years, including a 3.5 year old with a 46" chest girth with my crossbow last year.  The long Thanksgiving weekend, up in the Adirondacks, is my favorite time and place to hunt.   The only way I can really enjoy that, is if I pass ALL bucks at home in the southern zone on opening weekend of gun.   The vast majority of the antlered bucks that I have killed, were on opening weekend of gun season, in the southern zone.  Thanks to the wonderful hunting up north, It is highly unlikely that I will ever again take one again, then and there, that is not at least a 2.5 year old.   

Since the question was about "bucks": any button buck is a "shooter" for me, if I have a tag, and there is not a larger antlerless deer in range.   Several have joined their momma in "deer heaven"  (our family's food supply) thru the years.  I have personally killed about a dozen (including my first gun and bow kills), but never a doe fawn.  Those "fatted-calfs" are always a welcome treat on our family's table.  My wife and daughters litteraly jump for joy when they see me bringing one in because they are so tender and tasty.   Those of you who abhor killing them have not a clue what you are missing.    The farmers around home really hammer the local antlerless deer, prior to October first, when their nuisance permits expire.  Because of that, filling DMS's later is no easy task, and most of our venison has always been from antlered bucks.      

I hunt in a small, highly pressured area, so my idea of selection is to not press a bad shot.  There was one nice spike that elluded me twice last year that I would have harvested (once during xbow, once during regular) if presented with a clean shot.

Depends on my mood and what's around. Back in the day when the "doe tag" was an either sex tag I would shoot the first buck I saw for the freezer and then hold out for a bigger one. Now I'm more selective, since it's one and done.

I've taken more than 50 bucks in my hunting career, when the kids were small it was all about the freezer. I have never taken a 150 inch buck- I doubt I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 in almost 50 years afield. And those were out of range (shotgun country).

One year I passed on a six point twice in the same morning. When he came by a third time in the afternoon it was strike three you're out!

Shooter buck for me is just about the same as most of u guys! I will wait and let a lot of small guys go! Just happy to see them. I've even let a few nice ones go over the years! Some days I just don't want to deal with the work of getting them out of the woods and cut up. Then it starts to get late in the season and I think it's time to fill the freezer! Some years I say to myself! Boy you should have shot that one a week ago!! But all and all. I just love being in the woods! Happy hunting and be safe everyone 

I am fortunate to own or have access to some decent properties with decent bucks on a fairly regular basis come rut.  Over the last 5 years, I have killed 4 that were good 3.5 year old or older bucks.  But last year heading into the rut, I kinda thought I was losing perspective on why I hunt.  I wasn't having as much fun just seeing doe and smaller bucks. 

Confession time:  My buddy shot his best buck (one that my partner passed the same morning), an 11pt 2yr old early rut.  He has only been hunting a few years and was ecstatic.  While I was happy for him, my first thought was geeze that would be a great buck in a year or two.  I didn't say it to him but the fact that I thought it really bothered me.  When I realized that, I intentionally shot a small buck.  Why, I don't know.  When my partners asked why, I really couldn't explain it well.  It just seemed the right thing to do to me to remember why I hunt and to continue to share in the joy of others success. 

Since doe are usually not all that difficult to kill around me, I will wait for another 3.5 or older buck again, but hopefully maintain the joy of just being out there this year.  If I see a big boy, great.  If not, that is completely OK too.  And I will celebrate when anyone I hunt with has success - doe, small buck, big buck - who cares.  I really don't want to lose the excitement of THE HUNT regardless of what I shoot or others shoot. 

I guess a shooter is a 3.5 year old or older but at times, I guess that can change.  lol

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I’ve shot a pile of 1 1/2 over the years ,the ag land I hunt many of those are 8s and up . Was always happy to take the first one that came by , last idk 10 years ,it’s been basically outside the ears ,which it turns out isn’t that much harder most years .

I have no “target bucks “don’t even have one camera out, dont scout , and right now I find that rather exciting , I’d like to hold out for a true giant, but I don’t see that happening . Although my rule is a gun buck must be bigger then my bow buck , which may account for why I seldom kill any in gun anymore .

I seldom take does anymore ,one deer is fine for the wife and I, plus if my daughter tags one it’s more then enough . I don’t mind whacking  one to give away though .

Sometimes I hold out, sometimes I kill a small buck. Depends on if I have a doe in the freezer, a lot of time left to hunt, or if the mood just strikes me lol. This year I know there are some really good bucks in my areas so I fully expect to not kill a buck in 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Good thread, Rob!

For me, I simply try to do a bit better than the previous buck if I can. I’ve been lucky enough that the last three bucks over five years have been progressively bigger. Those other two years I passed a few that were close in size because I was holding out for the big boy on the trailcam pics, but of course never saw him. So those years no buck, but I did take a doe or two. Never saw the passed bucks again those years – other local guys all dropped them early in the rifle season.

I like having a good venny supply so I can’t say that I would keep passing if my freezer was empty near the end of the season. To be honest, if it was the closing days and I was deerless, the little four or six point gets whacked. I haven’t had to do that yet. DMP’s are difficult to get in our area, but I do get a landowner’s tag and have never had to make soup out of it.

My buddy and neighbor whom I’ll affectionately call an antler snob has frowned on every buck I’ve taken since he found the antler religion about 15 years ago. To be fair, He’s shot the only two monsters in our area over that time. But he’s gone multiple years without deer in that pursuit. I’m not a meat hunter per say, but I don’t hunt deer to not shoot deer. Especially multiple years in a row.

The buck in my avatar is my best to date and was from last year. I’m told I should’ve passed on him, think of how big next year, blah, blah, blah. No bigger bucks were taken last year that I know of, and the only larger racked buck that was spotted was missing most of his right antler. I get it. It’s all about the rack for some and I respect that. But while I’m interested (and who doesn’t want to shoot the local giant), It’s not the only thing for me about deer hunting.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 4

i've shot a few yearlings and piles of 2.5 yr old bucks in the past. i'm a manager for a large QDM co-op in WMU 4C that the family farm is part of. We've talked to all those involved and consulted an actual whitetail biologist. Set the guidelines (rules) at 3 pts on each side and 15" spread, which was designed and has been proven for our area to protect a portion of 2.5 year olds and about all the yearlings. it's something cut and dry that everyone can figure out.  historically 1 buck is taken for every 300 acres with those standards.  any given season that's my minimum standards for a shooter buck. many years my standards are higher and i pass a handful at least that big. last year like Moog I grounded myself and shot a 16" wide 8 pointer smaller than i normally would. i was happy at the time to do so but probably won't drop to the minimum for quite a while.  i've been told it sounds complicated but it's really not. it actually lets a lot of us sit back and take it all in with stories to share. i enjoy the outdoors a little before unleashing a hand cannon and having work begin... and going back to work. we're not well off with doe numbers as much as WNY folks but being a QDM and ag country we create enough opportunity to fill some freezers.

• Like 1

always starting good threads Rob... a 2.5 year old buck is a shooter during bow or gun around here (Rochester).. heavy hunting pressure and car vs deer accidents..... I'll usually have a good idea of what's running around as I have 3 places with permission to hunt.. 5 acres.. 12 acres.. and 40 acres.... the 5 acres is my best spot and I will be very selective there... don't forget that button bucks are good eating!!

I did shoot a 1.5 year old 5 pointer about 2 or 3 years ago because I noticed someone had shot him in the foot.. well I was rewarded for that last year with a 138" 9 pointer that the taxidermist thought was 5.5 years old

• Like 1