So whats a "shooter" buck.... For you.

Robhuntandfish

Anything that floats my boat, usually in the 8 point 2.5 year old on the ground and 3.5 year old from a tree.  But I still usually pass the 2.5 on Long Island as 3.5's and older are present.  Not sure if I will pass the 2.5's this year, depends on how I feel at the time.  

Hard to say for me... I am leaning toward taking a doe right off the bat, just to get one in the freezer, then the meat pressure is off.  You never know though, If I see a nice buck and I have a tag, it is going down.  Whats a nice buck to me?  Ill know it when I see it.  Two years ago (or maybe 3) I kept having this 6 pointer walking around behind my stand... always grunting him out it seems... I think I passed on him three different times... it was the second week of bow at the time and I figured it was pretty early in the season and I have a good chance of seeing more bucks.   Glad I did because the last time I passed on him, 20 minutes later an 8 point came out of the bedding after grunting him out and I took that one.  I  guess I'll know it when I see it!

• Like 1

For me the answer is "when I see it I will know it."

It changes for me every year, sometimes every hunt, sometimes in the middle of a hunt. During the morning rides out to the woods we always have the "what are ya shooting today?" conversation to get ourselves excited for the day. It ranges from "the first buck I see"  to "only that big one" 

It depends on so many factors, from the time available to hunt to the number of deer seen to the mood of the day. Last year I held out and was fortunate enough to shoot a very nice and old buck.  This year, who knows?  We have a perfect 10 point on camera that I would love to see my son get a shot at. He will be a really good deer in another year or two and that may prevent me from taking a shot if I do see him, or maybe not... If I have an opportunity to put an arrow in one of the smaller bucks we've seen and it feels right, I'll do it.   

• Like 3

I have a saying, "shoot what you like, like what you shoot".   That encompasses anything from a yearling doe to a monster buck. As long as you are happy, never mind what others may say or think!!!  We all hunt for different reasons. One size does not fit all, when it comes to shooting deer. I honestly feel that EVERY deer is a trophy to be cherished.

That said, I've killed a pretty good number of deer over the last 45 years. From small button bucks, and doe, to some respectable mature bucks. I don't need to kill any more deer, as I've nothing to prove. Yes I love the meat! But I'll survive if I don't have any. Over the last year or so, I've even contemplated hanging up my hunting hat. Perhaps when my grandson is on his own I may do just that? The time spent in the woods, the quiet time, the smells, sunrise and sunset, the cool breeze in my face on a frosty fall morning. This is the part I love. And if I shoot no deer, that's ok by me.

But when I do decide to shoot one, I try for a three year old or older buck. Rack size doesn't really matter, as long as he has a little age. That to me is a bit more of a challenge, and more of what I "like" at this point of my hunting journey.

One thing is for sure. When I make the decision to shoot a deer, any deer, I'll really "like it!!!

• Like 11

I try not to shoot yearlings, although I have a couple of times. Other then that I don't care. I have a hard time passing on a deer to wait for another deer that might never show up. Example, last year my dad passed on a button buck that gave him an easy shot with his crossbow, he never had another shot all year.

• Like 1

For the last 10 years or so my dad and I have had a 6 point or better policy. We've taken a number of 6's and a couple 8's in that time. There have been a few years we haven't taken a deer. We let a LOT of spikes and 4's pass. It has been getting tougher to do so lately as DMP's have been few and far between in our unit. We didn't get a deer last year and my freezer is currently empty of venison. If a decent buck doesn't present itself early, the spike or 4 is going to be hard to let pass this year.

• Like 1

This year, I am hunting new land, and for the entire summer, and even now into late September the only pics ive gotten are of several 1.5 - 2.5 year old bucks. I really would like to take something 3.5 or older, however im not sure that will happen at the property im at, so I have my eye on the 2 or 3 biggest of the several bucks that I have seen. I have set the standard that I will not shoot anything less than a 6 pointer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wfmiller said:

I try not to shoot yearlings, although I have a couple of times. Other then that I don't care. I have a hard time passing on a deer to wait for another deer that might never show up. Example, last year my dad passed on a button buck that gave him an easy shot with his crossbow, he never had another shot all year.

this happened to me 3 years ago, second day or bow season I had a spike horn actually licking the latter on my stand, and he was so little that I just couldn't bring myself to taking a shot. I never got within 250 yards of another deer that entire season, but to be honest, I don't regret it one bit, that Buck was given a chance to grow another year, and maybe eventually be a trophy

• Like 1

Very tough question.  So many factors.  This year will be a very busy year for me. I will not have a lot of time on stand.  Plus, I have no scouting and the season is upon us. When that happens, filling the freezer and harvesting anything becomes a success in my eyes.  Good luck and shoot straight guys and gals!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I have a saying, "shoot what you like, like what you shoot".   That encompasses anything from a yearling doe to a monster buck.

I agree with this, with the exception of button bucks. Unless you're a first time hunter or a kid... for god's sakes leave the dumbest animal in the woods alone. 

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

I agree with this, with the exception of button bucks. Unless you're a first time hunter or a kid... for god's sakes leave the dumbest animal in the woods alone. 

I think the dumbest animal in the woods is the ones sitting up in the trees.

Edit: groundblinds too

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Two things that I count myself extremely blessed to have never experienced are: #1, Passing a small "legal" buck, and not being rewarded with a larger one later during that same season (the fastest was about 2 minutes later) #2, Killing a small buck and seeing a larger one, that I could have taken, while hunting later with only doe permit(s) left.  

For those who have experienced either of those situations, I would like to know:  1.) How did you feel about it after the season ended ?  If you could go back and shoot or not shoot that first little buck, would you still have done it ?   

I am very thankful to have no "regrets".     I will admit that most of the wind flows out of my sails for hunting, after my buck tag is punched, and all of it does when a year's worth of venison is secured.  That is probably the biggest reason why I have never saw a larger antlered buck after punching my tag on a smaller one.  I have seldom put in enough time and effort later to make it happen.  As far as why bigger ones have always showed up after I pass smaller ones, only He who controls the fate of all living things knows why that is, I suppose.   That is just one of the reasons why I always try my best to stay on good terms with Him.   

p.s: I consider button bucks a "gift from God" because they are the tenderest, tastiest animal in the woods.  It sounds like at least one unfortunate member just don't know what he is missing. 

Well i know the OP said buck, but to be brutally honest i will shoot anthing that gets me excited that day. Im a meat hunter by far, have nothing to prove as i have taken my fair share of mature bucks. To me i really enjoy eating venison, making sausage, jerky etc., it has been and will always be about the hunt, quality time with family and just enjoying what mother nature has to offer. I LOVE THE FALL AND WINTER WOODS, theres nothing nicer and more peaceful. 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Belo said:

But its meat and very tender. I have seen some mature bucks do some pretty dumb stuff as well that got them killed. To each their own. Your sort of passing  judgement when you say only kids and beginners should be the only ones shooting butron bucks. My theory is that we as hunters should not pass judgements on others as long as our activities are within the confines of the rules and regs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

But its meat and very tender. I have seen some mature bucks do some pretty dumb stuff as well that got them killed. To each their own. Your sort of passing  judgement when you say only kids and beginners should be the only ones shooting butron bucks. My theory is that we as hunters should not pass judgements on others as long as our activities are within the confines of the rules and regs.

so is a yearling doe.

Go ahead and shoot  bb's :rolleyes:. That attitude will eventually get ARs passed statewide, which btw I'm against, because yeah I've had a tough season or 2 and shot a yearling. As a kid I even shot a bb not knowing it was a bb. The DEC has already started their education campaign. What do you think is next on their agenda if that doesn't work? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Belo said:

tough to tell a bb late season running or at distance . with a bow i would agree 

.gun well ive shot a 103lb dressed button that was bigger than my freid father 101lb spike. really thought i was shooting a doe with 2 fawns. till i rolled it over and it had a sack...lol

• Like 3

I don't shoot fawns....I don't shoot does with really SMALL fawns... I don't shoot antlered bucks that are physically smaller than average does...

Other than that, it's open season...Spikes and 4 points are fine as long as they look like they'll dress out 110 to 120 lbs, which is the size of an average  1 1/2 year old buck around here...Half racks are fine...I don't have room for any more trophies...I sold a bunch of quality  shoulder mounts after my divorce simply because I no longer had the room to display them...I do like venison, and try to put a couple in the freezer each year...

Last year I passed up several antlered bucks because when I first saw them they looked liked fawns..Probably would not have dressed out at 100 pounds..

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I don't shoot fawns....I don't shoot does with really SMALL fawns... I don't shoot antlered bucks that are physically smaller than average does...

Other than that, it's open season...Spikes and 4 points are fine as long as they look like they'll dress out 110 to 120 lbs, which is the size of an average  1 1/2 year old buck around here...Half racks are fine...I don't have room for any more trophies...I sold a bunch of quality  shoulder mounts after my divorce simply because I no longer had the room to display them...I do like venison, and try to put a couple in the freezer each year...

Last year I passed up several antlered bucks because when I first saw them they looked liked fawns..Probably would not have dressed out at 100 pounds..

This guy is all yours come gun Dan. 

18C853FF-9939-4806-8A82-AAA084085BF5.jpeg

• Like 2

Used to be the first buck that was above the ears i tried to harvest. Last year i set myself to minimum a 6. Well that changed when my disabled father wanted to go out so i shot a busted up little 5 opening morning to have more time to take him.  This year will be the same hoping for atleast a 6 but if its the end of the season freezer will get filled before i eat a tag.  I hunt stateland that gets hunted hard so its hard to get to picky.

1 hour ago, Belo said:

so is a yearling doe.

Go ahead and shoot  bb's :rolleyes:. That attitude will eventually get ARs passed statewide, which btw I'm against, because yeah I've had a tough season or 2 and shot a yearling. As a kid I even shot a bb not knowing it was a bb. The DEC has already started their education campaign. What do you think is next on their agenda if that doesn't work? 

Hate to break the news  to you but there are alot of wmu's that already have AR, which by the way has nothing to do with shooting button bucks. By the rules and regs a BB is considered a doe and im sure are factored into part of the annual anterless harvest totals.  Even if AR were to go statewide, how would that protect a BB? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The deer means nothing to me the hunt means everything. I would rather track and kill a spike in the snow in the Adirondacks than kill a 10pt from a tree stand on my property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With out giving up your spots if I want to do a lot of walking stalking  on more or less flat ground in the adirondacks what general area is best .