Taxidermist- Terrible Experience

JFB

I will start this by saying I have NEVER before taken the time to post something negative about any business and frankly I don't know if this site has rules against sharing bad experiences so I'll wait to get input from the administrators on whether to identify my former taxidermist but I'll write a bit on what transpired. I will say that in my opinion, when this person is focused, the work is among the best I've ever seen. My main complaint is NOT related to turn around time however that plays into it. On my first mount it took one full year PAST the time that was estimated and totaled over 2 years. Last year, I was fortunate to harvest two bucks that I wanted mounted and cautiously decided to give a second chance. I had candid conversations about how waiting a full year past the target date (of one year) was frustrating and it was assured to me that these could be done in roughly a year. Again, I don't mind waiting for a quality mount. At 13 months, I made a polite call to check in and it was said it would be done around Christmas. Well, I then checked in around February and the excuses just start rolling in (injuries, illnesses, family issues, losing venders who did work of them, etc, etc). Shortly after, I started asking around and have heard many stories about how this taxidermist has a history of not being able to purchase equipment and is short on operating cash. Apparently I am not the only one to get the run around. When I heard about the other issues, I called and reminded the taxidermist that I go to them because I believe in their work and whatever happens I do not want another taxidermist to be subcontracted out (as I had heard this happens at times). I told them I would remain patient for quality work. Well at the 18th month I called again and it was then I learned that the normal tanner was not doing their work any longer and then they told me "I had an issue with your tan that took some extra time" but it was supposed to be done shortly. It was then I feared the worst. I walked in to see my mount and the entire brisket has tick damage. Now I'm malicious in examining my deer and especially the cape when I consider mounting it. This buck did NOT have tick damage and I didn't even drag the buck so to take care of the cape. It looks like the buck got run over by a truck and dragged on the pavement (tick damage looks like road rash hair loss... it looks similar to slippage but it's not). I asked for my other cape and rack back because I have had it. Stupidly, I had money on hand when I dropped off the original deer so I voluntarily gave a 50% ($300) deposit. Well imagine my shock when they told me I'd forfeit my deposit and when I got nasty I was told that they didn't even have enough money on hand to issue a deposit even if they wanted to. So as the cape was searched for, it was concluded it still must be at the tannery and I was forced to wait yet again. Today I finally got my cape returned and they rationalized all kinds of charges and issued a small refund. I just wanted my antlers and cape back in my hand. It is my belief something went wrong with the new tannery and that a substitute (damaged) cape was used. Very sad a talented person tries to run a business like this. 

ive heard many stories similar many do the work as a side job, those that only do it as a main buisness really have no excuse.nothing should take over a year.. of a quality taxidermist is that far behind they turn down the work.  ones that keep taking in work are usually cash strapped in my experiance.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

I have a guy in kendell not to far from rochester if u need a taxidermist. Hes done my last 2 deer and they are great. Usually 6month turn around time.

He's good.. Did my first mount and was very very pleased. Went to someone else last fall on a recommendation and still have not got my 2017 buck back yet...

No excuse for any business to treat a customer like this. And no matter what kind of business it is, once I'm lied to, I'm DONE! As there is no way a good business person, would jeopardize the integrity of his business, by lying to customers! 

So sorry to hear this from a fellow sportsman. And I'd have no problem naming this business. It may save someone else, all the trouble the OP went through. 

Sadly this isn't the first time I've heard of a taxidermist being unscrupulous. When you find a very good one, treat them as good as they treat you. Give good reviews. And always leave a nice tip!

• Like 1

I’m gathering your from western NY based on some of the comments suggestions of other taxis. But my buddy is going through the same thing with a taxi here in the capital district region. Except this taxi has had his deer head for 3 years now!!! And the guy hasn’t answered the last few phone calls over the past couple months. I keep telling my buddy to kiss that head goodbye but he’s trying to remain positive. I have high doubts he will ever see his head after this much time. Sucks when taxis can ruin good memories of your hunts. Good luck to you OP I hope you find a new taxi that can get you taken care of!

8 hours ago, moog5050 said:

First name Matt?   We went from good to horrible experience over 3 seasons.  Sad really.  

Our current taxi wnybowhunter is the best as long as he keeps accepting our deer!  Don’t stop buddy.  

I was going to ask the same question! lol.

Agreed, WNYBH gets my buck if he accepts. 

• Thanks 1

Had a similar experience with a local REPUTABLE taxidermist a few years ago when my sis shot her first turkey. As it turned out, the taxi MAY have honestly run into some legitimate issues with the bird that were simply beyond his control, but after catching them in a few lies, and the stall tactics they used on us for over a year, will never go back to them or recommend them to anyone else. It was a sad day when we picked up her gobbler handed over to her in a black trash bag with no work having yet been done to it other than disassembly. The half frozen carcass with wings, beard, legs, cape, and fan, all stuffed in a bag like rotten Thanksgiving day dinner. Here's a $25 in store gift card that will make things right. Sorry for the inconvenience.:ireful:

I wont mention the store by name, but if you're taking your trophies anywhere out in the Springville way you probably have a pretty good idea, and need to be VERY cautious if you end up waiting longer than the estimated completion timeframe for your mount.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

No, not a Matt. This taxidermist is in Rochester just off Browncroft Blvd heading east and operates out of their house. 

2 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Ole Matt went from an artist to scam artist in no time.   He lost my buddy’s duck and took almost 3 years to get him back a mount with glue on the cape.  

• Like 1

Had a similar experience with a local REPUTABLE taxidermist a few years ago when my sis shot her first turkey. As it turned out, the taxi MAY have honestly run into some legitimate issues with the bird that were simply beyond his control, but after catching them in a few lies, and the stall tactics they used on us for over a year, will never go back to them or recommend them to anyone else. It was a sad day when we picked up her gobbler handed over to her in a black trash bag with no work having yet been done to it other than disassembly. The half frozen carcass with wings, beard, legs, cape, and fan, all stuffed in a bag like rotten Thanksgiving day dinner. Here's a $25 in store gift card that will make things right. Sorry for the inconvenience.:ireful:
I wont mention the store by name, but if you're taking your trophies anywhere out in the Springville way you probably have a pretty good idea, and need to be VERY cautious if you end up waiting longer than the estimated completion timeframe for your mount.
You shouldn't feel bad for mentioning names. Op or wooly. The working man can't afford to deal with that bs especially when we get to cloud 9 and have a deer worthy of the wall !! All those "highs" get shut down real quick when the bs at the taxi happens.

Wooly- they treated their taxi like garbage all the while he was pounding out top quality work and making that store tons of money. He quit around that time and they scrambled to get another decent taxi in there. Thankfully, I have access to that same top quality work, better prices and I have made a friendship in the meantime. If your out in the springville area and looking for a fantastic taxi, Wareham taxidermy on Bryant hill in machias. He's got a Facebook.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2