Bringing gun to Canada and back

Core

Going to Canada shortly for a tiny hunting trip and bringing a gun or two, via the 60 day non-resident permit.

I see reference on a couple of sites to stop at US customs on the way out of the country to help document the gun (beyond the documentation on the non resident permit that Canada wants), but that this is optional. This seems like a pointless hassle to me. Has anybody here bothered with that part? 

Heck yes....I have done that with all my guns that I took into Canada...No big deal and once you do it for  a firearm, the cert is good indefinitely...

I HAVE been asked a couple of times for the cert when I came back into the US..It proves that the firearm that you possess is the same one that you took into Canada...US customs does not give a rat's ass about Canadian documentation...

• Like 3

Technically you need a receipt for purchase  or Customs Form #4457 (thats not just guns but can list anything of value purchased in the US and brought back into the country like a scope);

You can get a 4457 stamped at any Customs office before your trip (I use airports with any international flight) you show up with firearm and they stamp form for you. Usually you have to call and make sure of a time window someone is in office at smaller airports/borders; but big crossings like Peace Bridge/Buffalo or say JFK, you can get one while you wait.

You can pre print that 4457 all filled out before hand also when getting it stamped.

I laminate mine and have a stack of them as other countries use them as a gun permit for US residents as they state "registration" on them. LOL

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Core said:

What do they hassle about?

I was always told be 100% honest when they ask questions.

Once I was coming into Canada fishing (no guns). Border guard asked if I had any weapons, I said no. He said "not even a filet knife?". I said, "yes, I have a filet knife, hadn't even thought of that". Apparently, wrong answer...They searched the truck, my baggage, fishing gear, food for the week (confiscated my potatoes). After 3 hours and I'm assuming a background check, they let me move on.

Every time I've entered and declared rifles, it's a good 45 minute wait while they run a background check, I've crossed in Vermont, NY, Maine, & Michigan. I've heard others say in & out in 5 minutes, I've also heard others get turned away for having criminal records, so I'm not complaining. Cost of bringing a firearm into Canada I suppose.

I've only been questioned once coming back into the U.S. I'd been fishing, some of my gear was in heavy black trash bags, which I guess is a no-no. The border guard asked why I didn't use duffel bags. I laughed & said "Because I'm cheap". Wrong answer again I guess..he said "people often smuggle marijuana into the U.S. in trash bags...you aren't bringing marijuana in, are you?" I told him toss the truck if he wanted, it's been decades. He laughed & let me go in, but it was the last time I carried gear in trash bags, LOL.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Core said:

What do they hassle about?

Those forms have always been around as long as I can remember. I have been on several hunts in Canada and have always filled out one of those forms for any firearm I brought in going back almost fifty years. Theses days Canadian border crossings are not so casual as they once were, it is not a big hassle and only takes a few minutes of time to take care of and makes everyone happy.  Like Uncle Nicky stated above if you put up what they consider to be a red flag they will pull you aside. I once witnessed someone's vehicle and contents being basically dismantled searched for whatever, so don't give them any excuses.

Al

• Like 2

Been to Canada via plane. Never filled out anything for US customs on the return. Once they pulled me aside and ran the firearm serial number only to ensure it wasn't stolen.  It's US customs, so all they care about is stolen weapons and whether or not you are a felon. US customs cannot enforce local NYS rules regarding firearm ownership.

In terms of Canada, at the airport, declare the firearm to customs. They'll then send you to a separate line with your baggage and you need to pay a tax of around $50 to possess the firearm in Canada. It's good for 60 days if you happen to return. The officer may question you as to what you're hunting, where you are going, etc. Pretty basic innocuous stuff.

• Like 1

Back in the day ,when we canoed up in Western Canada, we always brought a 12 Ga. never filled out anything never had an issue, but that was way before 911. We were also,young and dumb.

But they don’t mess around at boarders anymore . Daughter lives in Buffalo, Couple months ago her and two friends were taking an Uber in Buff . Driver got in wrong lane and headed into Canada by mistake apparently there’s no way to turn around prior to check ?

Anyway, daughter and friends all has passport cards, driver did not .....

They said we just want to turn around ,Uber driver made wrong turn that’s why we’re here, they were brought inside for a couple hours !

Only when they contacted friends Dad ,an attorney were they allowed to return . It was all very strange, daughter and friends said can we simply walk back? No ! And they had proper IDs but were held in limbo .

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

I was always told be 100% honest when they ask questions.

Once I was coming into Canada fishing (no guns). Border guard asked if I had any weapons, I said no. He said "not even a filet knife?". I said, "yes, I have a filet knife, hadn't even thought of that". Apparently, wrong answer...They searched the truck, my baggage, fishing gear, food for the week (confiscated my potatoes). After 3 hours and I'm assuming a background check, they let me move on.

Every time I've entered and declared rifles, it's a good 45 minute wait while they run a background check, I've crossed in Vermont, NY, Maine, & Michigan. I've heard others say in & out in 5 minutes, I've also heard others get turned away for having criminal records, so I'm not complaining. Cost of bringing a firearm into Canada I suppose.

I've only been questioned once coming back into the U.S. I'd been fishing, some of my gear was in heavy black trash bags, which I guess is a no-no. The border guard asked why I didn't use duffel bags. I laughed & said "Because I'm cheap". Wrong answer again I guess..he said "people often smuggle marijuana into the U.S. in trash bags...you aren't bringing marijuana in, are you?" I told him toss the truck if he wanted, it's been decades. He laughed & let me go in, but it was the last time I carried gear in trash bags, LOL.

Oh God.

I'm trying to do a 16 hour drive in one day. I really cannot afford more time at the border than needed. Will be absurd if they have to run a background check for me to take a shotgun across, what a lot of nonsense.

Speaking of meat, it is legal to bring back deer meat (if I'm lucky) into the US, right?

As for truth at the border, I'm pretty sure that if I lied to a guard they would catch me instantly. I'd really make an awful smuggler.

Edited by Core

Two more questions--and I did try and call their number but they are so busy it just hangs up:

1) Bringing 100-150 rounds ammo is reasonable? I see nothing about a particular allowed number amount

2) Anybody know if I can do this at a nexus lane?

oops, answered 2)--nexus is a no no for firearms.

Edited by Core

Assuming you are hunting in Ontario?

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/importation/9909

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/207/~/regulations-for-importing-meat-%2F-wild-game-products

https://www.ontario.ca/page/export-dead-wild-animals-ontario

I don't think there is any fast-lane at the border. You are a stranger visiting a foreign country, subject to their laws, regulations, and whims.

you absolutely want to register your gun. Look in the govt. listings for the closest customs office. It is free and painless to do, call first so they are expecting you. If you tell them you are going to Canada to hunt, and then tell them you don't have a gun, it will be a flag for a search. Returning, having our paperwork in order, it has always been very painless and quick. 

I recommend doing it before the trip, avoid doing it as you are crossing. the border is a very busy place and not the place to do something like that at the last minute, when it is easily done well before hand.

The same going into Canada. Go to the website, fill out the form BUT DO NOT SIGN IT! You must sign it in front of them after they verify it. Canada Customs is very easy and painless if you do as expected. If not....just like at the US Border, you may not like the outcome. REad the form and their regulations. they are simple and reasonable. Be honest, have your paperwork ready, and be pleasant, It usually only takes a few minutes (we last crossed in the beginning of September). 

For a shotgun, I would think you 100 rds or so is very reasonable. Deer meat / antlers /etc. are all fine to bring back, but you must have your import permit filled out by your guide. any antlers/ etc. must be cleaned of all hair/ meat/ brains.

• Like 1