Used bow shopping

BowmanMike

I just have a question about used bows in general. Do the limbs wear out over time or is that not a concern? 

So how long is a bow good for that shoots maybe 1500 arrows a year?

I dont mind replacing parts like the string and even cams if need be,that is like tires and brakes on a vehicle. As long as i know the bow will be ok. 

3 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I just have a question about used bows in general. Do the limbs wear out over time or is that not a concern? 

So how long is a bow good for that shoots maybe 1500 arrows a year?

I dont mind replacing parts like the string and even cams if need be,that is like tires and brakes on a vehicle. As long as i know the bow will be ok. 

Any bow can have a defective limb no matter its age, but its pretty rare.  Bowtech had an issue with them a few years ago.  I would not worry about limbs wearing out and cams should not have to be replaced unless there was an accident.  Not that it matters, but most folks don't shoot anywhere near 1500 arrows a year either. 

You can buy a top notch bow that is 5 years old loaded with accessories for pretty cheap now.  It wouldn't concern me a bit.  Be sure to know your DL.  Honestly, the 5 year old flagship bows from all of the big manufacturers are going to be really nice shooting bows.  Some smoother, or faster or quieter or more adjustable, but all very nice.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Any bow can have a defective limb no matter its age, but its pretty rare.  Bowtech had an issue with them a few years ago.  I would not worry about limbs wearing out and cams should not have to be replaced unless there was an accident.  Not that it matters, but most folks don't shoot anywhere near 1500 arrows a year either. 

You can buy a top notch bow that is 5 years old loaded with accessories for pretty cheap now.  It wouldn't concern me a bit.  Be sure to know your DL.  Honestly, the 5 year old flagship bows from all of the big manufacturers are going to be really nice shooting bows.  Some smoother, or faster or quieter or more adjustable, but all very nice.

Damage aside from a fall or dry fire, I assume that as these things age they'll just start to only marginally slow down, right? Has anybody really worn out a compound bow--assuming cams/strings are good, the limbs just got so loose the thing become useless?

Just now, Core said:

Damage aside from a fall or dry fire, I assume that as these things age they'll just start to only marginally slow down, right? Has anybody really worn out a compound bow--assuming cams/strings are good, the limbs just got so loose the thing become useless?

It doesn't happen Core.  The limbs don't lose strength.  I have 50 year old recurves that stay strung all the time and still pull the same.  If you have new strings and cables, a bow really shouldn't slow down due to age.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

that is excellent to hear. I guess i will be in the market for any of the quality bows from 3 to 5 years ago. I don't even have to test shoot them,they all will blow my mind after shooting this starter bow for 3.5 years. Maybe i will see if there are some good bows available at my shop to test out.

14 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Any bow can have a defective limb no matter its age, but its pretty rare.  Bowtech had an issue with them a few years ago. 

Pretty sure that was on BowTech's entry into the Xbow market where the limbs were failing &/or delaminating. If it was on their compound bow limbs, I'm not aware of any.

Will agree that if you purchase a name brand compound bow, the damned thing will out-live the user with minimal maintenance.

Just in my experience, finding a used bow at an archery shop for a decent price is an unlikely occurrence. Private for-sale listings on bow sites, hunting forums, Craigslist, ebay, etc have a better selection & pricing. Needless to say - buyer beware! JMO, best time to shop for used bows is late spring thru early summer when others have upgraded to the latest n greatest bows. But ... you do what ya' gotta do!?!

You already know this, but .... be aware of a used bows DL and poundage adjustable ranges.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

Pretty sure that was on BowTech's entry into the Xbow market where the limbs were failing &/or delaminating. If it was on their compound bow limbs, I'm not aware of any.
Will agree that if you purchase a name brand compound bow, the damned thing will out-live the user with minimal maintenance.
Just in my experience, finding a used bow at an archery shop for a decent price is an unlikely occurrence. Private for-sale listings on bow sites, hunting forums, Craigslist, ebay, etc have a better selection & pricing. Needless to say - buyer beware! JMO, best time to shop for used bows is late spring thru early summer when others have upgraded to the latest n greatest bows. But ... you do what ya' gotta do!?!
You already know this, but .... be aware of a used bows DL and poundage adjustable ranges.

It was their compound bows that were blowing limbs apart left and right a few years back. Like 2008-2011 maybe into 2012 as well if I remember right. It’s been a few years since they’ve had any more problems with their limbs. I’m a Bowtech shooter and fan so I’m not trying to bash the company or anything but their reputation took a beating with that whole scenario. Mostly because they let it go on for a number of years in a row before getting a handle on it. But all seems good now in the Bowtech world, I haven’t seen or heard of any mass amount of blown up bowtechs in at least 6 years I’d say.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

It was their compound bows that were blowing limbs apart left and right a few years back. Like 2008-2011 maybe into 2012 as well if I remember right. It’s been a few years since they’ve had any more problems with their limbs. I’m a Bowtech shooter and fan so I’m not trying to bash the company or anything but their reputation took a beating with that whole scenario. Mostly because they let it go on for a number of years in a row before getting a handle on it. But all seems good now in the Bowtech world, I haven’t seen or heard of any mass amount of blown up bowtechs in at least 6 years I’d say.

Yep- it made me question whether to buy the insanity at the time - I did and it was a great bow.   

• Like 1

Yep- it made me question whether to buy the insanity at the time - I did and it was a great bow.   

They were great bows if they didn’t blow up. I never owned one during those years but had shot buddies who did have them and they were nice. I stuck with Hoyt up until 2015 when I bought my Bowtech. It’s been a great bow and I’m glad I finally got one. Next year I will probably buy a new Bowtech again. I do like their support for the good ol USA and hero’s like Chris Kyle.

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’ve heard wonderful things about the Realm X, that may be my next bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They do have a good rep.   Crazy prices.  That and the new top end Hoyt 1500-2000.    Not long ago 1000 was considered crazy.   Slightly used is the way to go.  

• Like 1

Next year I want to get a 2nd Bow. It would too much of a psychological leap however to go from my 15+ yr old Darton I got for free, to a 1000+ dollar Bow that will essentially do the same thing. I will certainly be looking for a used one in the 3-5 range. I like Darton, but apparently the cams and modules are not adjustable for a new user on a 2nd hand bow and need to be replaced. This was the case with my current Bow. So the free Bow in fact cost me about 100 in parts and labor.

They do have a good rep.   Crazy prices.  That and the new top end Hoyt 1500-2000.    Not long ago 1000 was considered crazy.   Slightly used is the way to go.  

Oh I wouldn’t buy a new one in a million years, after the season I’ll look for a used one for $600 or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Thank you guys for all the input. I think i will go the archery talk route,unless i find something good locally. I want to get a nice bow and keep it for a long time. I can't see where the development in bows will make big leaps like it has in the last 10 - 15 years,so i should be ok. I have never owned a new vehicle,and i think i can do the same for the bows now that i know a little more about it.

i have a mathews chill r 70lb and i believe 29in draw would have to confirm that. with HHA DS 5019 , QAD HDX ultra rest (maybe mathews ). it would need strings and cables soon. its in great condition and loved it. however this year i switched to a left handed bow as im rt. handed left eye dominant. asking 600. I also have older Hoyt maxxis 31 rt hand 60lb limbs (i think would need to confirm) also has a quiver (i forget which one) and 28.5 draw(again i think and would need to confirm), i would also recommend strings and cables but otherwise in great shape.  it basically bare bow other and the quiver and is also in great shape and asking $200. im not too far and could meet half way or something. both were well cared for and tuned yearly at Flying arrow in carmel ny.