Hunting with glasses

Hunter9396

I have been wearing glasses my whole adult life for both gun and bow and have had no problems with Deer spooking from glare or reflection having had them walk within feet of me with no detection. If I get busted it is from not having the wind right, making a noise or movement at the wrong time.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hunter9396 said:

I’m thinking about wearing my glasses during bow season this year, but I’m worried about the deer seeing them. Has anybody ever had this problem? I’ve heard people say they saw the reflection and the deer take off

let me caution you. Shoot the bow without your glasses before you hunt without them. I wore glasses frequently and hunted with them for a couple years.  It was misty one day and I took them off. I missed a shot a a doe at 30 yards. I went back to the house and shot at the target and I was off about what I missed by. I was cold and wet so I hung up the bow and was going to resight it in the next morning. Nice day. Walked out and had my glasses on and it was dead on. after much head scratching and testing it was the glasses. my form has my right eye looking down the bridge of my nose and out the far left side of the right eye lens. That area of the lens was not ground like the middle and actually was refracting the light. I could not  hold the same POI with them on and off. SO I don't wear them now. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

let me caution you. Shoot the bow without your glasses before you hunt without them. I wore glasses frequently and hunted with them for a couple years.  It was misty one day and I took them off. I missed a shot a a doe at 30 yards. I went back to the house and shot at the target and I was off about what I missed by. I was cold and wet so I hung up the bow and was going to resight it in the next morning. Nice day. Walked out and had my glasses on and it was dead on. after much head scratching and testing it was the glasses. my form has my right eye looking down the bridge of my nose and out the far left side of the right eye lens. That area of the lens was not ground like the middle and actually was refracting the light. I could not  hold the same POI with them on and off. SO I don't wear them now. 

So when I shoot my bow with my glasses I can blowout the bullseye every time with tight grouping. Then if I shoot my bow without my glasses on I shoot to the left about 3/4 inches but the height is still perfect. It’s the craziest thing 

12 minutes ago, Hunter9396 said:

So when I shoot my bow with my glasses I can blowout the bullseye every time with tight grouping. Then if I shoot my bow without my glasses on I shoot to the left about 3/4 inches but the height is still perfect. It’s the craziest thing 

That is what is happening. Refraction at the edge of the lens. I drilled a tree without the glasses on that should have been a chip shot like I was practicing. 

Next time you shoot. Move the glasses out on your nose just a bit so that when you line up you are just on the lens. Slide you head out just a whisker to look by the edge of the lens and over your nose. watch how that pin jumps location. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
added comment

i've hunted all my life with glasses.  i've been pretty successful and have been arms reach away from deer on rare occasion. I've never had any troubles. you're way better off seeing better to pick them out or make the shot then to worry about getting busted by them.

• Like 1

Wearing prescription glasses has its' pit-falls, but the deer seeing a reflection from the lens shouldn't be a top 5 reason not to wear them. If you have prescription glasses due to correcting eye sight irregularities... shooting with & w/o them can be two different "point of aim" scenarios. If this is an OCD concern for you to worry about, there is a non-glare coating that can be added to the lenses, new ones I'm assuming.

People have been hunting with glasses on forever now. 

Somebody mentioned the non-glare coating you can put on glasses, and I personally would stay away from that. My dad got that on a pair of glasses a couple years ago and he hated it. He was always complaining that they were dirty and when he would try to clean them they would get streaks and he could never get them out. This coming from a guy who has been wearing glasses for 40 years now and has OCD when it comes to keeping them clean. 

• Like 1