Field Binoculars....?

Ok, just read FastEddies thread/topic about people using their scopes to spot while gun hunting. Ok, I'll admit it I've done it in the past.

I was wondering what power binoculars are people using while they are hunting? I'm going past a Cabelas tomorrow and my points are itching to be used. I'm figuring on spending $200-400 on a pair to carry this year. Any suggestions in brand and power would be great.

Cheers,

Jsin

I have a set of Nikon bino's 10 x 50 that is nice and clear. Very good in low light too. I keep them in my hunting pack and they get knocked around pretty good. Had them three or four years now, with no problems. Spent around $200.

You could spend ten times that. But why? Unless you are hunting plains game in Africa, or hunting in the western USA, where long distance glassing is needed. 

For deer hunting in NY, my cheap Nikons are all I need.

• Like 1

8x42 for me.  I don't have a steady enough hand for 10x.  It actually looks more blurry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-BX-4-Pro-Guide-HD-Binocular-Cammo-10x42mm-174394/352465143400?epid=17012045432&hash=item52108f4668:g:YGEAAOSwnZxbokrU:sc:USPSPriority!13202!US!-1

I picked up a pair of these last season for around 320 new.  Compared them to zeiss and vortex that were more than twice as much.  I sold the zeiss and vortex.  The quality was identical to my eye.

Sorry those are 10x.  I bought the 8x.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

I collect binoculars like I do firearms, I have all powers, sizes and styles. My favorite brand has been the upper end Bushnells specifically the Legends in both compact and full size. 

As someone who wears glasses I need binos with longer eye relief to get a full field of view, I like screw down eye pieces and the Bushnell brand accomplishes that for me.

For open country when glassing long distance for woodchucks and crows size and weight do not come into play much, I carry higher powered full size binos in 10X

For still hunting I like to keep the weight down and use light weight compacts in medium powers

For the woods where the distances are shorter high power is not so important I need a wide field of view and like 7X.

I picked up a pair of full size Nikons last spring to keep in my truck, did not pay a lot for them but have been impressed, wide angle with huge field of view, crystal clear and screw down eye pieces. Probably the best buy I have ever made for a good pair of binos, now how they will hold up over the long haul is yet to be seen but so far so good.

Al

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001EFIGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I use two pair of binos for different situations. When hunting more open terrain such as out west or up north, on the tundra in a spot and stalk scenario, I use a pair of Cabelas Alaskan Guide 10X42. I find for me 10X is about as high a magnification as I can hand  hold steadily. Also, for me, 10X is too much power while still hunting for deer in the Catskills. For that, I carry a pair of Vortex Diamondback Classic 8X32. Both have extremely clear glass and, for me, work very well. There's a lot of good glass out there in you price point. I would strongly suggest however that you compare your options outdoors as opposed to inside a store. Good luck in your search.

I actually only carry a little monocular.  Dont want the extra weight and gear and fumbling to get them .  I just have a little monocular to see quick for long distance.  If it's farther than that don't have a play on it anyway.  Just want to be able to identify what something is far away if I need to.  Prob really only use it twice a season anyway.  

57 minutes ago, J sin said:

Ok, just read FastEddies thread/topic about people using their scopes to spot while gun hunting. Ok, I'll admit it I've done it in the past.

Good on ya' for wanting to make a change.

Thats a good price range to look for glass, try a bunch in hand. I struggle with the small compacts and favor 8x30 or 8x42. 10x50 a bit big for me unless I'm birding or looking at distance.

May want to check out a harness too, although I like slung under one shoulder to keep them out of the way for hunting with a long gun.

• Like 3

One thing I can say is try to get a light small pair, they are much more user friendly to a hunter and you are more apt to use it.  Also test them out, each one is different and a really good pair in the 1,000 and up range are far better than the cheap ones but cheap ones are easy to replace and no big deal if they brake.  

I use a cheap pair of bushnell I think they are 10-40.  Actually looking for a good pair that I do not have to spend 1000 dollars on in the same 200-300 range, let me know what you find and how you like them!

I have a pair of Bushnell 7X15 power Binos . I like them but lighter is better . They were $100 at DICKs and were on sale for $50 plus I used a $10 coupon .

However , I grabbed a pair of 8X binos at WalMart for $7 that are compact and work fine . 

My problem with all the binos is ---- In cold weather , they fog up from the heat from my face . Still trying to figure out how to eliminate that problem . 

51 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Good on ya' for wanting to make a change.

Thats a good price range to look for glass, try a bunch in hand. I struggle with the small compacts and favor 8x30 or 8x42. 10x50 a bit big for me unless I'm birding or looking at distance.

May want to check out a harness too, although I like slung under one shoulder to keep them out of the way for hunting with a long gun.

Here is solid advice......ABOVE. 

8x30 or 8x32 is really all you need in NYS.  Like a handgun, if it’s too big it’ll be left at home.  

No expert here, but I was in Cabela's in Charlotte NC a couple months ago and got quite a nice deal.  They were apparently closing out the back room where they sell discounted items, so lots of stuff on sale there plus an additional 25% off.  There was a pair of Leupolds and a pair of Vortex, similar pricing.  I can't remember the model of the Leupolds, but they started around $300 and were on sale for around $125.  Vortex about the same.  

My son and I spent about 20 minutes comparing them.  It was pretty much hands down the Vortex.  Much cleaner image, better light.  

These are Vortex Diamondback 10x42.  About as good as I could want for anything under 200 yards.  FWIW. 

jm

I use Steiner, Military and Marine . Not bad size, built to take some punishment . I don’t know much about binoculars, and may think about a new pair myself .

Use them almost every time I hunt , it’s one of a handful of items I take every time I go in the woods for any reason .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I have a pair of Leica 8x42s  that I pad $1000 for about 20 years ago...

Yes, they are a little large and heavy, but they are ALWAYS  with me when hunting deer or turkeys...

Back when I was hunting Alaska, the western US and northern Canada, they were invaluable....They still work fine for my local hunting..

• Like 2

I've had a pair of Leupold 8 x 23 binocs for many years. Very light and compact and they will easily sit on my left arm with the strap on my neck so they're out of the way during a bow draw. Or go inside the jacket if it's raining or snowing. Not the greatest for light gathering, obviously, and if I was hunting big country I would choose something entirely different. But for glassing every blade of grass while still hunting thick stuff they're quick, clear and lightweight. That's how most of my hunting was done anyway, and I spent more time with those binos to my eyes than without.

One quick suggestion: look through them before you purchase. The store where I bought those Leupolds had 6 pair of that model. I looked through them all and they were all slightly different in clarity, and I picked the best one to go home with me.

• Like 1

There is a lot of great bino's on the market today and while I have been doing freelance work with Nikon NY for almost 10 years now I tell anyone looking to get them in their hands and look through them. See how they feel, is the weight good, can you carry them all day and glass as much as you need too? That being said, Nikon has gone to great lengths to make sure that they cover all those bases with all their choices. For preseason scouting I have been a fan of the MONARCH 7 8x30's. Compact, bright and clear, plus you can't beat the price! Nikon has a promo going on right now if you are looking to buy, it covers many of their MONARCH line of bino's and will give you a nice discount when you buy from a participating dealer. Just passing this along in case you didn't know about it.