Deer Hunting has it,s Moments of Frustration,s

nobody

We were hunting up near Star Lake N.Y. back in about 7 miles near a small camp setting called Aldrich. We drove up early on a Saturday morning from Clayton,N.Y. to be on 

our favorite watch spot,s for early Sun up. We,ll one of my very close friend,s named Ray Couch always hunted with a 308 Norma Magnum. He Deer hunted with it and at time,s Moose and Elk.

That weekend, Ray told me he was not feeling well and said he could not make it. Ray said I could use his Norma, just stop by and pick it up. Ray reloaded his own shell,s always and when I stopped at his 

place along with his Gun he handed me a handful of his reload,s. Now we had one Party Permit to use and there was  4 of us together riding up using two Car,s.  Saturday,s hunt was a bust, none of us saw any White tail.s.

We decided to Hunt Sunday of course and start heading back around 3 P.M..I was riding on the passenger side front seat and I had Ray,s Norma between my leg,s (not) loaded. Doug Shell from Clayton was in the back seat.

Dirt gravel road with pot holes so we were driving real slow in my friend,s Station Wagon. Doug in the back seat had a 30-30 Model 94 Winchester. Our other friend,s Car was behind us back a bit. Still to this day I remember what happened

next now and then around the Deer season opener and I chuckle to myself.  Suddenly from the heavy tree,s ect. on my side, one helluva big Doe jumped in front of our Car . One bound to the middle of the road and one more hop to clear the road on the driver,s side.The Car came to a sudden stop and we were amazed at what just took place. And in the next moment the biggest dam rack Buck cleared the whole road following the Doe. And then they went into a slow walk and on top of that, the wood area on the side where the two Deer were walking was very shootable. Now I quickly moved out of the vehicle, ran across the gravelled road with Ray,s Norma in hand and off onto the grass away,s and thinking to myself., Now be cool about this, don,t "F''Ck" this up.I took one of Ray,s 180 grainer,s and dropped the round into the Barrel. I could still see this nice Buck for a easy shot. Now , here,s what happened. I could not close the Gun,s bolt all the way just almost. With my hand I was beating on the bolt trying to close it.I was thinking to myself no,no ,this cannot be happening to me.But it was. I looked to my left side and Doug with the Winchester had round,s all over the ground, total Buck fever. I finally got the bolt closed and took off to where the Deer had gone, but of course it was way to late.Then when I gave up,  I could not  open the bolt. Had to shoot the round into a fat tree. I off course was thinking, Ray,s G.D. reload,s. We,ll, the story finally played out that it was my own fault.You can not load a Mouser action that way. You have to push a round down into the internal magazine, then close the bolt. The tollerencess on a Mouser are very tight to clear the round ejector,s on each side of rear end of the round your loading.. We,ll , this all happened back in the mid 60,s. I have  lot,s of Deer hunting stories, so now and then I,ll come back and type another one.

• Like 12

50 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Because you my friend are a sadistic little man!!! To think this guy teaches the future!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had so many moments of frustration, over the years hunting deer myself. I like hearing stories from others, to get a chuckle. Just like when I look back on my own, and have to laugh.

But I've learned my lessons well, with all the screw ups I've had! :meeting:

You were road hunting for Bigfoot and then the deer jumped out, or did trying  to shoot Bigfoot jam the gun?
I don't follow.....what happened to Bigfoot in this?

Kind of a douchey post Dins - I bust balls with the rest of them but there was nothing redeeming about your post especially when 270 starts a topic that has merit and interest(at least to the closet sadist we used to know as Grampy-see that ball busting that hopefully is see as harmless if not just plain stupid).

Just sayin’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hiccups over the years were  :

Big ole fat doe broadside at 75 yards. Kaboom goes the 3" Lightfield from sitting up against a tree. No reaction, she's still standing there. Eventually boogies. I walk over looking for blood. Only to find a 3 in diameter hemlock mowed over right in front of where she was standing   Oopsy.  Oddly enough my Pop was quarter mile away on brothers property cutting down hemlock to make Christmas wreaths.

3 blunders last year. Hangfire with ML on juicy doe second day of regular season.  Last 15 minutes of last day of ML I had only primer go on decent buck    Snakebit by condensation of rain, taking ML into garage. My own fault.     Spring turkey I worked a great bird, showed my whole hand   He cut the distance but not enough, woods were bare but I decided to close the gap with a little ridge between us. He still was hammering and walking away so I move another 50 yards. Still hammering so I wait with slate call in hand, He rolls into another gobble and I cut him off with a soft yelp. He now double and triple gobbles. He's pizzed   Here he comes dragging his rope and fullest tallest fan I've ever seen. 40 yards,35 yards, 30 and I got him. Picked out a window, pulled the trigger and WTH he takes off running. I smoked a tree 12-15 feet in front of me I never saw as I close my left eye and it wasn't there in the optics lol.  Tree was about 6 -7 ' across tops and I took a huge gouge out of the side that looks like a slug hit it. One of my most memorable turkey hunts even still. I beat him but he still won.

• Like 1

Here’s one for you:

A few years ago a friend & I decide to do a backpacking/camping/deer/bear trip near Woodgate Ny. I had obtained permission from an acquaintance that owned some private land there. The drawback was their “camp” was approx. 5 miles in from where the road stopped. Their only access was a seasonal rd. that required a four-wheel drive to get in.

Sine I only owned a two-wheel drive at the time and my friend didn’t have a truck we decided to drive to the access rd. and back pack it the rest of the way to prevent getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Less than a half mile in it begins to rain. When it starts raining up there in the fall quite often it will last for two or three days at a time. Keep in mind we are packing food, tents, sleeping bags, clothes, bows, and climbing tree stands. It rained the entire hike in. We got there about 1 ½ hr. before dark completely soaked. We weren’t given  keys to the camp and were planning on tenting it anyway. Not wanting to set up tents in the rain we decided to set up camp inside a nice little metal shed opened on one end where they kept their camp wood etc. We set up the best we could and luckily had a good supply of dry wood so we could dry out.

It rained all night and all the next day but our wood shed was adequate enough to keep us out of the weather and dry.

The next day it quit raining so we decided to spend the day scouting and looking for a decent spot to hunt. We both found spots we liked so settled in for the night with high expectations for the next day.

The next morning while having coffee we hear this rumbling noise and could not for the life of us figure out what was going on. It kept getting closer and closer to the point is was less than a couple of hundred yards from us so we decided to  investigate.

We found the source of the noise only to discover it was a Army Reserve unit that had moved into the area and was going to be bivouacked there 3-4 days for maneuvers.

We hunted part of one day and it was so noisy there was no way we were going to enjoy our peace and quite adventure so we packed up the next day and hiked back out.

Definitely one of my most frustrating and memorable hunts.