Anyone ever do a hog hunt ?

Jeremy K

I'm looking for some info on doing a hog hunt with the bow . I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible because i plan on using it to fill the freezer and not as a trophy . Trying to keep the price per pound to a number i can justify going forward with.  It seems like if you go to Texas you can hunt all you want for free almost and as you travel north the problem isnt as bad so the price starts to increase ,plus i heard that texas hogs taste like hot garbage. 

I have been to south carolina 3-4 times hunting hogs. The place I hunted was 1250 for a five day hunt everyhing included except license. That's 40$ I think. The place was trad only but has since changed and I think the price went up.  

You will not get the amount of pork on a wild hog as a domestic and it isn't as easy as they make it out to be. Spot and stalk is hard with the swirling wind and pigs have great noses. Standing over bait is easier but again the big hogs are smart and always seem to come in down wind. They are tough animals and a blast to hunt though.

• Like 1

I’ve hunted them in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. I’ve killed a bunch of them, if they’re over 50lbs give them away or leave them for the coyotes. Never hunted one over bait just free range. Florida was the best hunting I’ve found, lots of public land and plenty of hogs.

If you’re doing it to fill the freezer, shoot a round of 3D then stop at the grocery store it will taste way better. If you want quality meat find a local pig farmer that sells hogs to individuals and it will be the best pork you’ll ever eat. If you want to have fun and shoot some hogs than have at it it’s a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I killed some at that place in Forestville, go there and save the flight money. The bacon they made from them was fantastic and so were the hams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i dont think they can have boar in nys anymore .. not sure but i remember bill banning them.

• Like 2

The biggest boar I ever shot weighed 100 lb dressed...The meat was good, but not great..You could tell it was a boar...

My buddy shot a 175 dry sow  in the same place...It was EXCELLENT !!

The rest of the piggies I shot were 40 pounds or less..They were very tasty...

• Like 2

I’ve hunted them in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. I’ve killed a bunch of them, if they’re over 50lbs give them away or leave them for the coyotes. Never hunted one over bait just free range. Florida was the best hunting I’ve found, lots of public land and plenty of hogs.

If you’re doing it to fill the freezer, shoot a round of 3D then stop at the grocery store it will taste way better. If you want quality meat find a local pig farmer that sells hogs to individuals and it will be the best pork you’ll ever eat. If you want to have fun and shoot some hogs than have at it it’s a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from Florida and agree with this 100%.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've hunted hogs many times, I head down to Georgia every year and have also killed them in Florida & Texas.

I like the taste of the meat, but it's different than domestic pig meat (but not much). Leaner & piggier tasting. I never noticed the difference between a hog from Texas and a hog from Georgia.

We soak the meat in ice water first to cool it down and drain some blood out, after a day drain the water and just keep topping off with ice as you ride home. I've never had a hog I'd consider inedible (yet), even an old 350 boar who died hard. but I'm sure keeping it cold and the initial soak in ice water helps. We usually use dogs, I had one old codger on another forum try arguing that a hog chased by dogs is worthless for eating since it's full of adrenaline, but that's pure BS as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck with a bow, if you're purely interested in a meat hunt, I'd go with a dog hunt. A night vision hunt with a rifle CAN be productive, but can also be a strikeout too, depending on if the hogs are moving that night. Hate to sound negative, but with the price of gas, location involved, meals, motel rooms, outfitter fees...it would be cheaper to just shop at a grocery store, if money is the sole concern. 

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Went to Texas twice. Look at Four County Outfitters near Seymour TX.  Did a 4 night combo turkey and hog hunt. They do deer and ducks as well. Hogs in TX can be hunted any time of year, day or night, no bag limit. If you want to go cheap, you can probably find a motel 6 and knock on some doors. Farmers want to get rid of them. But using an Outfitter makes things much easier as they have feeders and stands setup on leases for you to use. And you get food and lodging. I think it was like $1200 for 4 nights. 3 hours from Dallas. If money is a real concern, don't go at all. But if you want to have a fun hunt, just spend the money.

Most hunting in TX is rifle, but I'm sure you can get setup with a bow spot. 

The second hunt i did was on a private ranch I was invited to through my job. Again it was a turkey and hog combo hunt. I shot a 75 pound hog and they sent it to a processor and covered all those costs so it was nice. I got 22 pounds of meat back and it was some of the best tasting meat I've had in my life.  They say the trick is to get one about 50-100 pounds to get some good meat.  The small ones are good whole, and the larger ones are tough. You need one in the sweet spot.