Springfield 1903

ny hunter

1903 Springfields were only made in 30-03 ( very rare) and 30-06.....Chances are extremely high it is a 30-06...However, many 03s were sporterized and  re-chambered or re-barreled for numerous other calibers..The safest thing to do is take it a gunsmith and have him confirm it's proper chambering, before you fire it..Good luck with it...1903s are fine old firearms.....

• Like 1

Springfields were a great arm, but I have read a number of times that many of them should be considered wall hangers...metallurgy and steel hardening issues, I believe. Best do some home work first. The fine old arm is over a century old...I would probably get a bit brittle too!

Make a chamber cast from "Cerrosafe". It melts at 190F .

This is how a gunsmith will identify the caliber and is the only 100% sure way ti get an accurate measurement of the chamber and throat.

It is perfectly safe  as if you do screw up, all the have to do is immerse the receiver into a pot of boiling water to melt the Cerrosafe. It will flow out and sink to the bottom of the pan.

In order to control the the temperature of the alloy before pouring, i actually melt the Cerrosafe in a ladle suspended in boiling water. That  limits the temperature to 212F

• Like 1