Bowhunting in the rain

outdoorstom

1 minute ago, outdoorstom said:

was just curious what your policy is when it comes to bowhunting in the rain. Do you think it's a good idea? Bad idea? Do you think it's ethical?

None of the above matter to me. I ain't getting my Mathews wet or myself soaked.;)

• Like 2

I don’t like hunting in the rain bow , gun etc. Me personally it’s not worth it during archery, if you happen to make a low percentage shot and run the risk of a poor blood trail the wet ground will not help in tracking.. 

• Like 5

I don't bowhunt in the rain very often. And only when it is a very light rain, with no heavy rain in the forecast. Also only take high percentage shots. And my max range shrinks from 30 yards to 20.

With the wet leaves and ground, a light blood trail can be diluted quickly and made almost impossible to follow.

• Like 5

agreed... light drizzle OK however I don't like my mathews in freezing rain... however i did read that deer like to feed on cold/wet veggies, it's a tasty snack to them... and I'm colorblind so I don't need any other disadvantage when it comes to finding blood

I hunt in the rain most times! I don't like the pouring rain. But a light rain I will hunt. The deer don't care! It's not like there going back to there nice dry cabin! So I figure if there out there why not be out there too! Oh! And my Hoyt ain't scared of the rain like those Mathews in the above post. Lol!!!! 

• Like 1

Only during a light drizzle in or around the rut.. my effective yardage shrinks dramatically to around the 20-30 yard max.. Too many factors to take in effect.  I love hunting a cool damp or light drizzle kind of day. Just seems a bit  magical in and around the rut.. more times than not.. 

Bow hunting in a drizzle or like it is today around hear (just a sprinkle on and off) yes I am hunting. If it's a hard rain I will watch the radar and try to get out before it stops because the deer start moving after the rain ends. Gun season I don't care how hard it rains, I'm hunting. That's why I have ground blinds.

Funny, I had this discussion this morning. I don't bowhunt in the rain. For me too hard to blood trail. I've always had a  flexible schedule so I can go during more favorable weather. I would  practice in the rain too if I were inclined to go though. Makes a difference in the arrow flight. 

Gun hunting, always

• Like 1

I've always loved hunting in the rain. Especially when stillhunting. (real stillhunting, not just walking around in the woods) Not a horrible downpour/monsoon, of course, but a light to moderate rain or drizzle does a lot more to dull a deer's senses than it does mine. It quiets things down; it pushes odors to the ground; it greatly affects their ability to detect movement because everything is moving in the rain...

I have never taken a long or low-percentage shot in the rain, because that's not smart. But I've taken a number of deer at 8 to10 yards or so in the rain simply because it's easier to get that close. And if a deer walks by grazing at 30 yards, and your woods skills are up to snuff, there's a very good chance in the rain that you can get ahead of that deer and get the close shot. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1