Asking woodburners!!!

philoshop

I always try to make it at least half way through October before firing up the wood stove. I'm thinking about lighting it today. The house is cold and damp and my poor old bones need to be warm. Anybody want to talk me out of it? It's like an alcoholic asking if one drink is okay. :sorry: 7 months of wood-burning is a hassle, 8 months will suck. And I haven't even cleaned the stove or chimney from last year. The stove is full of stinkbugs. I hear them rattling down the flue every day and can smell them when I walk by the stove. Screw it, I will be warm tonight and the stinkbugs will be dead. :drinks:

• Like 4

I see it this way if I don't wanna be one of the many who complain about the North country because I do enjoy the cold and the snow I have to adapt myself therefore I put my long guns on this weekend and they will stay on for A while (I do work outdoors fyi) So I say look out stink bugs
get er done

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i basically convinced the wife to do more of her great cooking. also said i'm being conditioned for deer season coming up, so it didn't seem that cold to me.  we tossed a high loft blanket from cabelas on each bed and keep one at the couches. she seems content with wearing a hoody for now. by all means fire it up though, if she can take it and you can't. hahaha

I've spent most of my life doing construction work outdoors. Every part of my body just hurts now, and being warm helps alleviate that. I stay in this area because my elderly parents won't move no matter what. They took care of me when I was young, and I will  help to take care of them as they grow older. Sometimes it sucks, but it's what families do. Would I like to move south to escape the weather? Absolutely. But I won't do it without the family, and the family says no.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, philoshop said:

The wood stove will be fired tonight. If it gets too hot I'll open windows. And stinkbugs be damned. I WILL BE WARM TONIGHT.

i'm just an instigator. if i was to be totally honest we're going to the carribean/dominican republic for a week then when i come back the heat will be plentiful.

As far as heating with firewood, what most people just don't get is the fact that the cost has already been paid. Gas and oil for the saws and the splitter, maybe 10 bucks, and gas for the transportation from one site to another, maybe 40  bucks if it's close. People think about turning up the heat and the reaction is that the gas and electric bill goes up, often skyrockets. I can keep my house at 80+ degrees for the winter if I want with my windows open and it won't cost me one nickle more than keeping it at 72, or 65, or whatever.

Our last home had a OWB. I had a love hate relationship with it. Loved that it kept the house warm, but hated going out twice a day to feed the beast, and cutting/splitting 10+ cord of wood a yr. 

I'd fight the urge to fire it up, but the older I got, the earlier it would get fired. So I say...... Fire r up.. 

• Like 1

I have also not had time to clean the chimney yet, or I would have fired mine up the last couple nights.  The temperature is supposed to get back to the upper 70's later this week though, so I will probably put it off until next weekend.  We will be burning a lot more firewood this winter for sure, because we now have an almost limitless supply.  A couple weeks ago, I dragged about a years worth of ash trees (that I had dropped in February) out of a hedgerow.  The very next day,  the crew chief from our town highway department asked if I wanted the wood they were clearing from a ditch on our property line. He said it would be "a few loads".   They dropped (8) dump truck loads of ash logs out behind the barn.  In addition to all that, we have about (10) face cords cut, split, under tarps, and ready to burn, from the last couple years.         

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

When I lived on the lake property, up until three years ago, we'd burn ten plus, full cords a winter. A lot of work for sure, and I don't really miss that. But I do miss the smell of wood smoke outside, and drying out hunting clothes and boots by the fire. Not to mention nothing takes the chill from your bones quite like a wood fire.

I vote to fire up the wood stove!

• Like 3

We burned wood as a youth when I was younger. My dad would hope to wait to the opening of bow which was the middle of October back then. We had no splitter except an ax and a maul. All summer long we  split and split to stay a year ahead of schedule.  If I recall burned 10 fulls cords a year on average .

Now we both have gas fireplaces, it's just a click of a remote to turn on heat . I couldn't be happier. I give credit to all who burn wood, lots of work that my body just can't do. Let alone the time to do it with having kids in sports.

I grew up burning wood. And in recent years converted to coal.. never going back.. 

And I just told the gf to turn up her electric blanket ,it's too early to fire up the stove .I mean we just closed down camp and took the boat out of the water yesterday.....lol. 

The fire is going, the humidity in the house is coming down, my creaky old bones are happy, and my girlfriend du jour is sitting in the campstool in front of the stove soaking up the heat while I write political stuff on the internet. And I won't have to send a check to NYSEG for any of that. Hah.

Edited by philoshop
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, philoshop said:

The fire is going, the humidity in the house is coming down, my creaky old bones are happy, and my girlfriend du jour is sitting in the campstool in front of the stove soaking up the heat while I write political stuff on the internet. And I won't have to send a check to NYSEG for any of that. Hah.

A lot of damn good reasons to give in to the temptation of warmth.  

• Like 1

Just as an aside: The young lady in my story is black. Not cocoa brown or slightly black, but close your mouth and eyes disappear in the dark black. She's also one of the smartest and most fun people I've ever met. I wish we were closer in age. Fooling around is fun but It's a bit weird. Great chick, and I wish her nothing but the best in life. She'll get it because she is  one of the best that we have among our young people.

• Like 1