Antler Restriction

Team Hoyt

Hoyt look we are not going to be hunting your lease. You guy are the ones hunting the lease so it's is up to you guys to decide what the rules are on your land. Just make sure its something all 4 of you can live with. Remember friendships are more important than any buck no matter how big it is.

• Like 1

If I owned land, or had a lease I wanted to let the bucks grow, I would go with at least 4 on both sides. I only add my opinion based on many on people here stating a 6 might only be 1.5 years old.

I would sit down with the people you share the lease with and figure out the end game. Asking on a web site might get many varied responses. You guys need to decide hot to hunt that land, no one can really tell you how to hunt it. 

23 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

All seasoned hunters? Make the the rule if you kill it you get it mounted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I like this one Tacks

Not me I’d never shoot another buck . Got two on the wall and have no plans to add to that . 

• Like 2

Why would I pay a fine for a buck that met the standards ?

This actually came up where I hunt, where we have  set standards ,as do many landowners around . In fact we get 70 hunters /landowners at our annual meeting , so growing bucks is kind of big thing where I hunt .

When the mount it or pay a fine ,came up two of the guys I hunted with ,who are basically paycheck to paycheck, said they’d be done hunting .

They had no issue with obeying the rules, but never would spend the money to mount a deer that met the standards .

Its this kind of “stuff” that is ruining deer hunting imho ,or least driving out the average joe.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, G-Man said:

450 thats steep.. get them mounted for a lot less than that

I don't advocate charging guys for shooting deer, but I would love to get the name of your taxidermist that does a good mount for a lot less than $450.. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nyantler said:

I don't advocate charging guys for shooting deer, but I would love to get the name of your taxidermist that does a good mount for a lot less than $450.. :)

send you pm.. hes very good and very reasonable and fast turn around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Why would I pay a fine for a buck that met the standards ?

This actually came up where I hunt, where we have  set standards ,as do many landowners around . In fact we get 70 hunters /landowners at our annual meeting , so growing bucks is kind of big thing where I hunt .

When the mount it or pay a fine ,came up two of the guys I hunted with ,who are basically paycheck to paycheck, said they’d be done hunting .

They had no issue with obeying the rules, but never would spend the money to mount a deer that met the standards .

Its this kind of “stuff” that is ruining deer hunting imho ,or least driving out the average joe.

I think Tacks idea is that it becomes an easy standard to follow and one that hunters will consider when shooting a buck - ie if you like the buck well enough to pay to get it mounted, shoot it.  Obviously it doesn't help much if you don't have your bucks mounted no matter the size.  In that case, your beyond the ears standard is just fine (although my only PY buck would have been below your standard with a 16" spread but I suspect obvious exceptions are made). 3, 4 6 and even 8pt don't make a lot of sense given how often we see 1.5 year old bucks that meet that standard if the goal is to let them live beyond 1.5.

• Like 1

I think Tacks idea is that it becomes an easy standard to follow and one that hunters will consider when shooting a buck - ie if you like the buck well enough to pay to get it mounted, shoot it.  Obviously it doesn't help much if you don't have your bucks mounted no matter the size.  In that case, your beyond the ears standard is just fine (although my only PY buck would have been below your standard with a 16" spread but I suspect obvious exceptions are made). 3, 4 6 and even 8pt don't make a lot of sense given how often we see 1.5 year old bucks that meet that standard if the goal is to let them live beyond 1.5.

Just an idea that maybe they could agree upon, I don’t care what anyone shoots but if you’re trying to get the guys you lease with to not shoot small bucks it may be an option that’s all. Our rule was always one buck per hunter so if you took a buck during archery you couldn’t during gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro