New Muzzle Loader

Salmon_Run

After years of carrying around the barrel heavy old Knight disc rifle I sprang for a Traditions G4 Pursuit (Nitride) and so far like the handling and break open breech. Headed to the range early next week and will decide on propellant/sabot combo. I'm starting out with 245 Gr. Power Belt HP bullets...

I'm leaning towards the Triple 7 Fire Star (pellets), Black Horn 209 or the IMR White Hot (pellets).

Any thoughts ? 

Edited by Salmon_Run
add info
  • Like 1

I use BH209 in my mz. its easy to clean and it not hygroscopic than the other alternatives. Plus it leaves less residue in the barrel. If it does leave unburned powder than just lessen your load or check your primer for a tight fit and or a blow back problem. remember not all primers are created equal or the same size. Good luck.

• Like 1

Range day: 74 degrees / humidity in 90% range / negligible wind 

Load:

Triple 7 "FIRESTAR" pellets (3) = 100 grain (can use 5 pellets max.)

"Smackdown" 250 gr. Sabot from Traditions

CCI #209 primers

At 100 yards with a bore sight I was only about 4 inches low, fast ignition and no sulfur smell upon firing. About the same clean burn as Pryodex pellets I used in my Knight. Bore cleaned with a patch after each shot with no decline in accuracy. Clean up at the home bench was about normal with significant scrubbing and multiple patches used to get the fouling out.

I found the pellets easy to use and no significant gain in clean burn from Pyrodex pellets. 

24 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

can you provide links to the bullets and sabots?

Sure 

https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php/products/crush-rib-sabots/item/48-50-cal-crushed-rib-sabot-for-451-452-cal-bullet

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Hornady-reg-Caliber-Diameter-Pistol-Bullets/740743.uts?slotId=9

Buying bullets in bulk with sabot and bullet separate is way cheaper then buying pre packed. Just select .452 and 300 non Mag in drop down for cabelas. Just about any bullet store has them too, I use graft and sons for both bullet and sabot on line because I get various other items

Steve 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sbuff said:

Thank you. think there would be any issue pushing those at magnum velocities?  150gr of 777

What speeds are you talking, you could switch to the mag xtp. I forget what hornady recommended to me, I think 1200 fps was there cut off before suggesting to use the Mag bullet in a muzzloader. I'd have to confirm that with my notes later.

Edited by sbuff

11 minutes ago, sbuff said:

What speeds are you talking, you could switch to the mag xtp. I forget what hornady recommended to me, I think 1200 fps was there cut off before suggesting to use the Mag bullet in a muzzloader. I'd have to confirm that with my notes later.

I'd bet it is somewhere at 1800 - 200 FPS based on what I have read, but never chrono'd it