Plattsburg man kills mother bear and cubs

fasteddie

1 hour ago, jmark said:

I wonder what the penalty is.  Article says "ticketed".  He should be locked up, and should never be allowed to obtain a hunting license again.  At a minimum.  

Unfortunately Albany watered down the new poaching bill to get it to pass. It's better than it was but still WAY behind what it should be. 

• Like 1

Just FYI, shooting a sow with cubs is NOT ILLEGAL in the Northern Zone (which is where this incident took place).

The man was ticketed for taking more than 1 bear and hunting over bait.

I would not be surprised if more than a few successful bear hunters up there committed the same crime as this man (hunting over bait) as finding bear up there is not easy.

Edited by Padre86

Sad news to hear.

I had a guy a few years back place his "bait" on my land behind his property. ENCON showed up on my door to inquire and determined that he placed the bait there, spot lighted and more than likely shot deer over the bait.

Because he wasn't actively hunting over it when they caught him, all he was ticketed for was placing bait on lands inhabited by deer and paid a small fine/civil penalty. The slob even left the bags from the bait on my property; go figure !!!!!

Just FYI, shooting a sow with cubs is NOT ILLEGAL in the Northern Zone (which is where this incident took place).

The man was ticketed for taking more than 1 bear and hunting over bait.

I would not be surprised if more than a few successful bear hunters up there committed the same crime as this man (hunting over bait) as finding bear up there is not easy.

Pretty sure that is a southern zone regulation

• 2 months later...