trail cam placement for tresspassers advice

As I mentioned in a recent thread, tresspassers (likey ATVers) cut open the security box of my cellular trail cam and stole it. I want to put a new one up, but I am thinking of putting it high up in a tree so it can't be easily reached. As it will be high, I will need to tilt it back towards the ground, using something like this tree mount , but if I use that, I won't be able to use a security box. Which do you think is better, at eye level inside of a security box, or high up in a tree without one? To be fair, it was my fault for not replacing the batteries, so no pics of the perps were taken. On the other hand, if someone intended to steal or damage the camera, I would think they would be smart enough to approach it from behind and put tape over the lens. Lastly, I will put a regular trail cam that will be aimed towards the cellular trail cam, with the idea that if someone did want to mess with the cellular trail cam, I could get pics of them on the regular trail cam. In a perfect world, I would have two cellular trail cams pointing at each other, but not sure if its worth the cost. But back to the main question, better off high in a tree without a security box, or eye level in a security box. Thanks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I would go up high with it and have a broken one set out as bait to make sure you get their picture.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. I had some crappy trail cams that I threw away a year or two ago that would have been perfect. So I need to figure out which one I have becomes the sacrificial lamb. Never have a broken trail cam when you need one . . . .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 10/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, phade said:

Put cams on the outside of an inside bend on a trail. Riders eyes tend to move with the trail...so trail bending to left, put cam on right so the cam hits them quartering away/side.

This works but make sure there is no flash! Get a blackout camera.

If you go high, you will need to go high enough so they won’t be able to stand on the racks of the atv and get the camera. So if you go at that height will you get a solid photo of them ? Do you know a welder ? He could weld you up a heavy duty box or weld the seams on a store bought one. I have a heavy duty one welded up just for such occasions, if you were close I would let you borrow it. It’s sad you have to deal with this.. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:29 AM, Steuben Jerry said:

Hey @goosifer

How have you made out with this issue, ATVers gone or still causing you grief?

The solar cellular trail cam is watching the fence I built at the back of the property. So far no signs of ATVers on either side of the fence (either trying to enter my property, or trying to leave my property). I have several regular trail cams on the property, and one of them picked up a pic of some kids in some sort of jeep/dune buggy vehicle driving by on the other side of the property. Whether they were attempting/intending to cut through where I put the fence, I don't know. So overall, so far so good. Once we get to snowmobile season, I am hopeful they will just reroute. The real test will be next Spring with the ATVers . . . .

One bad thing is that the camera is now naked with the leaves off the trees. I need to discretely put a regular trail cam just to watch the cellular trail cam.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, goosifer said:

The solar cellular trail cam is watching the fence I built at the back of the property. So far no signs of ATVers on either side of the fence (either trying to enter my property, or trying to leave my property). I have several regular trail cams on the property, and one of them picked up a pic of some kids in some sort of jeep/dune buggy vehicle driving by on the other side of the property. Whether they were attempting/intending to cut through where I put the fence, I don't know. So overall, so far so good. Once we get to snowmobile season, I am hopeful they will just reroute. The real test will be next Spring with the ATVers . . . .

One bad thing is that the camera is now naked with the leaves off the trees. I need to discretely put a regular trail cam just to watch the cellular trail cam.

Good, hope your problems with them are over!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2018 at 10:54 AM, phade said:

Put cams on the outside of an inside bend on a trail. Riders eyes tend to move with the trail...so trail bending to left, put cam on right so the cam hits them quartering away/side.

same with hills versus flat terrain. hills they're more focus on the trail and not looking around. i've had good results with cameras in day time field scan or time lapse mode during logical times of the day or during the week. you can put it farther away beyond the sensor range so they don't notice it.