Question about hunting Adirondacks

Hunter007

1 hour ago, Rob... said:

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your trip Storm914. Any idea when you will get this trip in the books?

Some time this gun  hunting season if I can  dont  think I will be able to spend more then 2 days up there tho basically just going for a  long walk in the woods not expecting  to see much :)  but that is  ok .  You never know  maybe the deer gods will bring me luck .

If I go I will definitely post pics of the trip  even if I see Jack 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Yea hotel motel probably 
I'm much more into hunting then camping but I love roaming tracking on a  lot of ground .   Near old Forge there is this nice hotel I stayed at when I was up there last summer exploring around  route 28 probably stay there.  

Hotel is a good idea, also keeps you mobile. It’s common for me to travel 50-100 miles a morning chasing the right conditions within the dacks.

I have a camp but don’t hunt bear it very often, just use it as a base camp and travel to the conditions I want if they’re available.

There are deer everywhere if I get the right conditions the odds of me killing them is on my side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

i used to go for early muzzle but now that bow opens early i dont anymore.  I raised my gun once prob every three years.  The scenery was great, used to go with a few buddies and had a great time, but not many deer.  What was the kicker - we would get up in the morning to hunt and there were deer right outside the cabins, couldnt shoot there.  Hunt most of the whole day and never see a thing til we came back to the cabin before dark and there they were.  They were out eating the mowed grass and by a couple of apple trees.  One of the days i set up on this ridge off a trail quite a ways back inn and i hear something coming, then talking - two hikers. And i was def off the beaten path.  I had some inlaws in Indian lake that had gotten some bucks and a couple nice ones , but they also lived up there their whole lives and most of them were just stumbled into.  BIL shot one that was standing in a trail out behind his house.  But they rarely had venison in the freezer.    

53 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i used to go for early muzzle but now that bow opens early i dont anymore.  I raised my gun once prob every three years.  The scenery was great, used to go with a few buddies and had a great time, but not many deer.  What was the kicker - we would get up in the morning to hunt and there were deer right outside the cabins, couldnt shoot there.  Hunt most of the whole day and never see a thing til we came back to the cabin before dark and there they were.  They were out eating the mowed grass and by a couple of apple trees.  One of the days i set up on this ridge off a trail quite a ways back inn and i hear something coming, then talking - two hikers. And i was def off the beaten path.  I had some inlaws in Indian lake that had gotten some bucks and a couple nice ones , but they also lived up there their whole lives and most of them were just stumbled into.  BIL shot one that was standing in a trail out behind his house.  But they rarely had venison in the freezer.    

hahaha that reminds  what my  dad use to joke he would say deer are just like people  they would rather stay near the subburbs then in the woods  just like people  .

Yea and the 2 times I saw deer in the summer up there was near campgrounds  and  near houses  where you cant hunt  .  Lol 

• Like 1

Your best bet in the ADK's will be on snow... it is the easiest way to get yourself on some deer. But remember with the snow comes some tougher challenges and some added cold weather gear. It is a bit harder to get lost seeing how you can usually backtrack yourself out of the woods as a last resort. The big woods are NOTHING like hunting smaller patches of southern tier woods.... be prepared!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've had that go south on me before because of snow fall...lol

Absolutely!!  I've never hunted in the Adirondacks, but had this happen to me elsewhere.  Not only do your tracks get covered really quick, the trees, brush and everything else gets covered with snow making everything look completely different than you remembered it.  Add heavy overcast to the mix and before you know it you are saying to yourself, "Where the f**k am I!!!

• Like 1

One has to be an experienced woodsman to hunt in the deep woods, there are several logistical challenges as terrain, weather and the ability to navigate through certain areas.

The terrain is challenging (at best), the weather is unpredictable and ever changing as the woods themselves change dramatically through the season and it becomes a challenge to navigate easily.

I've hunted the same Hamilton County area for nearly 50 years and have found on cloudy, snowy, dark days I've become "turned around". I'm most often alone at camp and am fully prepared for any eventuality I may encounter.

It is one of my favorite types of hunts and just know the pitfalls and be prepared. Last season right near my camp a person became "lost" about 8 tenths of a mile from his camp and spent the night. This resulted in the rangers having to conduct a search for him.

Be aware of navigation, dehydration and hypothermia as they all can creep up on you. I dress in multiple layers and am constantly adjusting for my exercise level and stop frequently for drinks and snacks. I carry a fanny pack with the basics and be ready....

It also can be rewarding to out first light in an area no one has been and stalk a Adirondack whitetail...

I wish you an enjoyable experience and luck in an harvest...

Dan

• Like 3

On 10/5/2018 at 5:45 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Did you try hunting along  any of the snowmobile trails up there ? 

One piece of advice I will give you is plan your trip to be hunting on the 20th of November! I think I have killed all but 3 bucks within 5 days of the 20th. Good rut activity and a good chance of snow. If I could only hunt 5 days in the adks it would be the 17-22 of November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

One piece of advice I will give you is plan your trip to be hunting on the 20th of November! I think I have killed all but 3 bucks within 5 days of the 20th. Good rut activity and a good chance of snow. If I could only hunt 5 days in the adks it would be the 17-22 of November.

I agree with that and have killed both of my Adirondack bucks at that time (each on the Saturday after Thanksgiving).   Snow is the biggest key to that.  Without it, is is much harder to see them, and next to impossible to see where they have been.     

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Adirondacks has been my playground for over 55 years.  Those deer you see all summer are never there when hunting season arrives.  This is land of mile long driveways.  I was always amazed how spooked deer are when the first legal day of hunting arrives.

I can recall a weekend I hunted hard tracing down every sign of deer and coming up with nothing.  that night I come to town to get an pack of adult pop only to find every freaking deer of the area stand in people's yards around town where they know they can't be shot.

The OP of this thread was banned, along with about 10 of his other accounts. Pretty sure he's still around with a new handle though, it's kind of ghostly, even phantom like.

He didn't hunt the ADK,s in a pure sense, he walked hiking trails hoping to see a deer. Which is dangerous because people hike those trails he was on all year long.

• Like 1