Crossbow help.... sighting

zeus1gdsm

I have a Barnett whitetail hunter 2.

my field points are dialed in from 20 to 50 yd not that I would shoot at 50 yd

however when I put on my broadheads . my arrows are all over the place I tried going up in weight to 125 grain tips again my field points are dialed in and my broadheads are not

I also attempted to try a knock off rage mechanical again more accurate than the fixed blade but still off

is there some way to tune the cross bow like I would the site on my vertical bow

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Should add I was using mozy 3 blade 100g and 125g. The rage knockoff mechanical was 125g.

Arrows weights with fields and broads all match within a grain or two.

The deviation on poi is several inches. High or left or right.

Shot over 20 broadhead shots. Nothing resembling a group.

Is there a preferred broadhead for crossbow for this issue?

Or do I just need to adjust the scope for the heads?

Easiest To try different broadheads. They can be tuned but a press and knowledge of crossbows needed. Some shops wont touch them. 
Do I need to index the fixed blades to the vanes?

I assumed this wouldnt be an issue with a crossbow. Slight adjustments sure, but this far off is disconcerting.

without the ability to make adjustments at home, I cant take this thing out if it's not drilling the broadheads consistently

I am literally having the same issue Zeus. Field Tips perfect 20 to 50. Put BH on last night and having issues with them grouping. They shoot at least 2" low at 20 and i have fliers to the Left or Right!!

I too am shooting the Muzzy Trocar 100gr.

I'm hoping to shoot more tonight and see if i can figure it out. Sorry to hijack but i thought it ok to chime in considering we are shooting the same BH and having same issue.

I can't get a fixed blade to shoot like FP's out of either of my crossbows. (Barnett Raptor and Centerpoint Sniper 370)  I've tried Muzzys, Thunderheads, Wasps, Tro-cars, Allens, and a couple more that I can't remember the brand. Each one would not shoot the same as FP. Some were way off, others close, but not close enough.

The most accurate head I've found, is the NAP Slingblade in 100gr. Shoots exactly like FPs, from both crossbows.

And don't go with the NAP Spitfire Maxx!  The first shot I took with them missed the target completely! Proceeding shots were not much better.

I am literally having the same issue Zeus. Field Tips perfect 20 to 50. Put BH on last night and having issues with them grouping. They shoot at least 2" low at 20 and i have fliers to the Left or Right!!
I too am shooting the Muzzy Trocar 100gr.
I'm hoping to shoot more tonight and see if i can figure it out. Sorry to hijack but i thought it ok to chime in considering we are shooting the same BH and having same issue.

Nah it's fine. The issue is super frustrating... I hate buying tons of broadheads... I alrdy have 6 different kinds from find some for my bow

I also use Slick Trick 125 gr. for my crossbow. I have my crossbow dialed in and they are extremely accurate but they do not shoot to the same point of impact as field points. I just use some of the broadheads for practice and you don't have to practice very much with a crossbow. The first thing you need to check is the manufacturer's recommended total weight for your bolt including bolt and nock and broadhead. If you are not within the recommended range you will never get consistent accuracy. I hope this helps you out.          valoroutdoors.com 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grampy said:

And don't go with the NAP Spitfire Maxx!  The first shot I took with them missed the target completely! Proceeding shots were not much better.

Hate to disagree, but with my 10pt Xbow, the Nap Spitfire & their Maxx version only shot 1-2" off from the field points. So ... assuming it has a lot to due with the specific Xbow you're using!??! Or the scope...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Hate to disagree, but with my 10pt Xbow, the Nap Spitfire & their Maxx version only shot 1-2" off from the field points. So ... assuming it has a lot to due with the specific Xbow you're using!??! Or the scope...?

Admittedly, my crossbows are on the lower end of the price scale. Both have upgraded scopes (Nikon Bolt) though. And both seemed to shoot whichever broadhead the same, as far as POI, compared to field points. Spent the better part of a whole day testing and fine tuning both of them, with all the various heads.

My conclusions are based on my crossbows. And no doubt different crossbows will have different results. As with anything, if it works for you, that's awesome!

Best of luck to you out there!

If you PM your address to me, I'll send you the two unused Spitfire Maxx heads, along with the one I used to try sighting in. 

Edited by grampy

I imagine that the speed (350 fps) has something to do with your issues.   Those extended blades like to "plane" at higher speeds.  With my 300 FPS Barnett Recruit, 125 gr 3-fixed blade Muzzy's flew identical to field points out to 40 yards.  Wasps of the same configuration also struck very close (within 2" at 40 yards).   No such luck with the Allens however.  I only tried two shots with those and both missed the mark (wide left and low) by about 6" at 20 yards and 10" at 40 yards.  (3) shots at targets with the Muzzys and Wasps were very consistent.

I am too cheap to buy new mechanical broadheads this year.  I was able to salvage one "gently-used" one and I honed the cutting edges and installed a new o-ring.   I will keep that in my quiver just in case a 50 yard shot develops at some point during the season.   I will not shoot over that range with my current setup because my penetration was marginal the only time I did (fortunately all the way thru the heart but not much more).  Otherwise, one of my two remaining fixed Muzzy's will be on the rail while I am deer hunting.   I will keep shots at under 40 yards with those, where I know exactly where they will strike.  I have about a half dozen sharp Wasps left for backup. 

The Allens will go to the trash.  The blades protrude more on them than the Muzzys or Wasps, which may contribute to their accuracy problems.   Before I toss them, I will check their weight on a postal scale because they struck way low both times.  I suspect that the "125 grains" may be just the center section, and might not include the weight of the three blades.   That will be easy to verify.   

I have gone three for three killing bucks with that crossbow and mechanical broadheads.  All (3) piled up within 40 yards from where they were struck with the longest shot taken at 59 yards.   I am still waiting to see how it does with the fixed-blade broadheads.  Hopefully, I will get a chance to find out next Friday up in the Northern zone.   There are also bears up there and I think I would be more comfortable with a fixed blade broadhead with them.   

You are very wise to get your broadhead accuracy issues ironed out on targets before using them on deer.  I suspect that the vast majority of deer hunters neglect that important step.  YOUR, OTHERS, AND MY OWN EXPERIENCES HAVE DEMONSTRATED JUST HOW IMPORTANT THAT STEP IS. That said, I have a hard time believing that any mechanical broadhead would fly much different than a field tip of the same weight.  It looks like I will have to choose carefully when and if  I scrape up enough cash and time for some more.   

About 14 years ago, I purchased (6) of them on clearance from Bass-Pro shops.  They were 125 grain o-ring, three-blade models, and I think the brand was "Blackout".   I tried the first one on a 30 yard target, where it struck right on the mark but ruined the blades.  The other (5) have killed deer (two with my vertical bow in addition to the three with my crossbow).   The first with the vertical (a 1.5 year old doe) took one thru both lungs, but she then ran off about 75 yards before expiring.  The second one (a 1.5 year 4 point buck) must have been "alerted" by my draw.  He reared back and down, when he heard my bow release, and took his 30 yard shot, thru the jugular.  He piled up 20 yards away but that was the last shot I took at a deer with a vertical bow. 

The legalization of the crossbow in 2014 meant that I could put that kind of nonsense behind.    All three bucks that I have shot at with that have been exactly where I expected them to be when the bolt struck, thanks in large part by eliminating the need to draw with them in close.   Like you are doing, I also made sure that I knew exactly where my bolt was going to hit, before I went after them to begin with.  

18 hours ago, grampy said:

.....My conclusions are based on my crossbows. And no doubt different crossbows will have different results. As with anything, if it works for you, that's awesome!..... 

It's all about personal choice and what works for you & your equipment, like you said! Sounds like the beginnings of the Rage debate, huh? You either love em or hate em! Kidding, of course!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only fixed I've tried in my centerpoint is montec and the consistency was too poor to take in field. That xbow with the nikon bolt scope and field tip normally gets within 1" of aim point at 30 yards (rarely worse, and generally better), but with the fixed it was just off too much. I think mechanical suit xbow very well because you're likely to have better accuracy, and the incredible kinetic energy of the arrow means even with the large cutting area you will have superb penetration. 

The inability to tune it like a vertical is likely also an issue, so the fixed just planes. 

There is a definite comfort level shooting fixed that isn't possible with mechanical, though (i.e. do the mechanical practice heads really fly the same as the regular?).

Edited by Core