Montec Crossbow Broadheads

fasteddie

Used those for years with a compound bow. Dependable, easily resharpened and decent penetration. Depending on hit, had situations where blood trail was not great. Montec did it's job, just more internal bleeding than onto a blood trail. They don't have the biggest cut diameter as some others do. BTW - Had been anti-mechanical BHs my entire life for compound bows, a personal choice. Bite the bullet and when I got a Xbow & started using the NAP Spitfire mechanical BHs. Not a single complaint with them!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Couldn't get Montecs to shoot well at all on my compound bow. All over the place in fact. 

Jay, I got my Montecs shooting perfect... The cabellas brand shoot the exact same also.  I found that the cable guide set screw was loose on my bow allowing the fletchings to contact the string sometimes... ill show you next time I see you..I am probably calling the part the wrong name.

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I used to use them. They made a pretty noticeable hissing sound when you shot them, so I stopped using them.

I will admit, I notice they are louder than the cabella's  brand.  Since I just purchased three more Cabella's, I am using these up first.

i was recently considering these as potential switch as i am starting to feel mechanicals aren't worth the risk.. after extensive research i found several complaints as too durability. i decided to go with VPA . they are of a similar style however are one piece machined. They are highly recommended .

Loved them, flew great, until I shot 3 deer with them, double lung shots and the blood trail was terrible. The deer didn't go far but if they did I may not have found them. Check out reviews online you'll see A LOT of the same complaint. Also could never seem to put a decent edge back on them, even with both of the Montec sharpeners...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 10:01 AM, SilentStalker said:

Not to hijack, but while on the Montec topic, do you guys know the differences (if any) between the regular G5 Montecs and the "Crossbow" G5's?

I asked Montec this last year. I'm pretty sure the reply was the package is different.

As for edge, I can get an okay edge. Is it razor sharp, no, but I am not convinced at all the animal cares or that makes a difference.

I bought a pack of these last year. I liked the idea of cut on contact with zero reliability issues, and high likelihood of being able to reuse them. They shoot well on my compound, but I still using rage because I have some and they cut bigger.

I wanted to use these on the xbow because I felt they'd have enough kinetic energy to make even a shot through bone forgiving (not that I want one). The problem is they do not fly well on my centerpoint 370. I could use out to 30 but some of them were of several inches from field point at 40 and I just didn't like that. It may not be the broadhead's fault per se, and the xbow may just not be tuned properly, but with field points and practice rage tips it is extremely accurate, so that's what I go with. 

I still love the look of these and I suspect they would offer higher odds than rage of full penetration (which I have never had with my compound on any deer).

One thing I LOVE about these is that unlike practice broadhead tips with these I can practice with the actual head I'm going to use, then just run it across wet stone a few times (or just have a permanent practice head) and I'm back in business. There is zero guess work about field point vs broadhead or where the arrow will go, which can't be said about a mechanical.

Edited by Core

1 hour ago, Core said:

I asked Montec this last year. I'm pretty sure the reply was the package is different.

As for edge, I can get an okay edge. Is it razor sharp, no, but I am not convinced at all the animal cares or that makes a difference.

I bought a pack of these last year. I liked the idea of cut on contact with zero reliability issues, and high likelihood of being able to reuse them. They shoot well on my compound, but I still using rage because I have some and they cut bigger.

I wanted to use these on the xbow because I felt they'd have enough kinetic energy to make even a shot through bone forgiving (not that I want one). The problem is they do not fly well on my centerpoint 370. I could use out to 30 but some of them were of several inches from field point at 40 and I just didn't like that. It may not be the broadhead's fault per se, and the xbow may just not be tuned properly, but with field points and practice rage tips it is extremely accurate, so that's what I go with. 

I still love the look of these and I suspect they would offer higher odds than rage of full penetration (which I have never had with my compound on any deer).

One thing I LOVE about these is that unlike practice broadhead tips with these I can practice with the actual head I'm going to use, then just run it across wet stone a few times (or just have a permanent practice head) and I'm back in business. There is zero guess work about field point vs broadhead or where the arrow will go, which can't be said about a mechanical.

Try a diamond stone to sharpen them. Do not move them in circles. Straight push forward with even number of counts on each side. They will come out sharp enough to shave with. I have a 6" piece of a broken arrow that I screw the head onto so I can use it like a handle.

• Like 2

i don't use Montecs now but use NAP Hellrazors that are basically the same thing. the machining isn't razor sharp finish but relies on the texture of the edge to cut too. if you try to sharpen them but don't take enough material then they'll cut not as well. take enough material off and they'll be shaving sharp. it needs to be balanced though like a tire. take equal stroke on all sides with even pressure. my edges look like a mirror when i'm done. i've been using a 1000 and 6000 grit whetstone. push forward with one pass toward the end at a time per side. otherwise you won't polish off the burr that's there. set your spin tester on a piece of white paper with a fine dot marked on it. spin the arrow slow with the point at the dot and see if it drifts. as you switch through each head once weigh them again to match weights of ones that spin true.  seems like over kill but you can get them flying well way out passed yardage you should be shooting at game.

• Like 1

Dunno how much bias there is in this but when I googled most accurate fixed, this site still says the G5 does it.

https://toxophilites.com/fixed-blade-broadheads/

I guess with even stronger metal they could take more mass from the blades themselves and push it down toward the insert. In theory with strong enough metal there could be so little metal in the blade area you could have a fixed broadhead fly precisely like a field tip because there would be no flat surface out front to plane.

Sharpened these really nice with the diamond stone and shot them a few days ago and point of impact were with in a half in of poi as my field points.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:37 AM, Red said:

They have the knock offs on amazon 6 for $18 they are the exact same as the montec i haven't had a chance to use them yet