What gun to use in the Adirondacks?

Hunter007

If you are going to hunt in the Adirondacks Alone !!!  and you have these choices  large bore 8.9 ib  bolt action ,8ib  carbine semi-automatic  8 ib 12ga  shotgun semi-automatic 

Or take down  4.5 ib  single shot shotgun .

What  you going to use up in the big woods :)

Faster follow-up shot and range versus light weight and compact ?

Weight is the third most important part of a gun for a gun you’re going to be carrying a lot.number one is being able to put 3 bullets in a pie plate in under 5 seconds from a carry position at 50yds. Obviously those times and distances are arbitrary but it’s a test I do that I think is very practical for the type of hunting you want to try. Waiting for the broadside shot isn’t going to happen most shot opportunity’s will be at moving likely running deer. Often the first shot hits a branch or just misses the mark it might be hours or days before I catch back up to that deer and I want as many holes in him as possible to up my odds that he dies quickly. Number two is how well the gun carries I would rather carry a 7.5lb perfectly balanced rifle than a 4lb rifle that doesn’t balance and carry well.

A single shot isn’t going to do that. A bolt is capable in the right hands, semis are a good option as long as they’re reliable. I wish my Bennelli R1 was balanced better it’s nice and light but sucks to carry. Pumps and levers are both good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm  leaning to the 4 ib single shot  takedown that I  can backpack  . 

3 inch slug makes a pretty big hole and overthere you can not  see far anyway   maybe know  more then 50 yards in most places that I was at . When I think about it   In All the years I have hunted if I did not hit with the first shot  deer was gone .  Plus I want to walk a lot of miles overthere  and it will make a big difference. 

Probably bring the carbine up there leave in the vehicle just in case I change my mind .

Like stated above if you are covering some miles weight is an issue.  I use a light model 94 in 44 mag for long hikes and scouting while hunting.  If I have a spot within 2-3 miles I might bring the 30-06 if I can shoot more than 80 yards.  Usually those are sit and post spots.  Otherwise take the gun you are most accurate with and can shoulder quickly for quick shots VIP as sometimes the only shot you have is a quick standing shot with nothing to lean on.  

• Like 1

If I had carried a single shot, my first and largest adirondack buck might still be alive.   To this day, I am not sure what caused that first well-rested miss, from a range of about 300 yards, but I am 90 % sure it was a branch strike.   That experience would definitely prevent me from carrying a single shot up there, outside of ML season.   Carrying a single shot up there, during gun season, is not a wise move.   You will run into a deer when you least expect it, and having a couple extra bullets in the gun is the best way to be sure they are ready when needed.   Thinking you can carry an extra bullet in your hand and reload quick is ludicrous.    

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

If I had carried a single shot, my first and largest adirondack buck might still be alive.   To this day, I am not sure what caused that first well-rested miss, from a range of about 300 yards, but I am 90 % sure it was a branch strike.   That experience would definitely prevent me from carrying a single shot up there, outside of ML season.   Carrying a single shot up there, during gun season, is not a wise move.   You will run into a deer when you least expect it, and having a couple extra bullets in the gun is the best way to be sure they are ready when needed.   Thinking you can carry an extra bullet in your hand and reload quick is ludicrous.    

Exstra bullet on  stock  .

Like I said me personally it's always been first shot dead deer or nothing . 

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

I'm  leaning to the 4 ib single shot  takedown that I  can backpack  . 

3 inch slug makes a pretty big hole and overthere you can not  see far anyway   maybe know  more then 50 yards in most places that I was at . When I think about it   In All the years I have hunted if I did not hit with the first shot  deer was gone .  Plus I want to walk a lot of miles overthere  and it will make a big difference. 

Probably bring the carbine up there leave in the vehicle just in case I change my mind .

I wouldn't limit myself.  There are lots of places to shoot over 100 yards up in the dacks esp once the leaves are off.  

My favorite was always my Winchester 30/30.  Light to carry, short, but I can reach out to 150.   

When it's a close shot anything will do, but don't restrict yourself from a possible longer shot. 

Would suck to walk all those miles back in and can't shoot a big Adirondacks buck cause it's 120 yards out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I wouldn't limit myself.  There are lots of places to shoot over 100 yards up in the dacks esp once the leaves are off.  

My favorite was always my Winchester 30/30.  Light to carry, short, but I can reach out to 150.   

When it's a close shot anything will do, but don't restrict yourself from a possible longer shot. 

Would suck to walk all those miles back in and can't shoot a big Adirondacks buck cause it's 120 yards out.

True but getting closer is the fun part for me  :)  and using a single shot  makes it more rewarding  if I do connect. 

Will see when I get up there 

11 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Good luck with that.

That is the challenge of it  I'm not going up there looking for a easy hunt if  I want that got places closer to home to do that . I no more then likely not going to see anything in the short time  I'm up there anyway going to be a good time all the same .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

That is the challenge of I'm not going up there looking for a easy hunt if  I want that got places closer to home to do that .

No problem if you don't mind tag soup.  I have yet to find a good recipe for that myself.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

No problem if you don't mind tag soup.  I have yet to find a good recipe for that myself.  

Yea I know but its different when you are going and doing something new .

Different story if I went up there year after year hunting same area  and got tag soup . 

Then I would be annoyed. 

8 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

How about a Model Seven in 308 or 300wsm? that's a lite gun, under 7# w/o scope, and you can put a nice trigger in it.

Well if I was going to go out and buy another gun just to go up there it would probably be the 44mag take down Taylor Alaskan.  

But I got what I got for now .

Beside dont think my odds are any worse  getting a buck  with any gun up there then  guys that go up there with a bow .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

From someone who’s walked hundreds of miles toting closets full of guns different in the dacks a single shot smoothbore 12ga would be my last choice. I have killed bucks up there with single shot rifles and muzzleloaders and would pick them before you’re choice.

Hunting up there is a challenge and any buck is a trophy, you give up too much and don’t gain enough. The biggest problem with the shotgun is the bead, covers too much you won’t see the branch or the twig between you and him, the range is another big factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

From someone who’s walked hundreds of miles toting closets full of guns different in the dacks a single shot smoothbore 12ga would be my last choice. I have killed bucks up there with single shot rifles and muzzleloaders and would pick them before you’re choice.

Hunting up there is a challenge and any buck is a trophy, you give up too much and don’t gain enough. The biggest problem with the shotgun is the bead, covers too much you won’t see the branch or the twig between you and him, the range is another big factor.

You are %100 right when you try to shoot out past about 70 80yards 

At closer range not a big deal they way I look at it  , guys do this up there with Bows , so doing it with a single shot shotgun  is still better then trying it with a bow .

Besides I'm planning on bringing  some small game loads and do a little small game hunting part of the time I'm up there .

Some of the biggest deer I have ever seen were  taken by someone I know who hunts with  stage coach double barrel .

And one of my cousins shot 2 deer on the run  with a rem 870 with just a beed  only took 2 shots   the first year he went deer hunting  on a drive 

Some States all you can use are single shots  plenty deer killed every year like this .

Is it the easiest way to hunt no 

Is it the hardest way to hunt no. compared to bow 

Is it going to be fun hell yes .

And I'm going to be so happy I took the 4ib gun if I actually do shoot a 200 ib buck up there 5 miles from the road  when I'm dragging  it back that is for sure .

Edited by Storm914

So what was your point in this thread ?

You asked for advice and then picked the LAST firearm that any of the posters advised you to take...

It sounds like you had already made up your mind and were looking for someone to agree with you...

• Like 4