What gun to use in the Adirondacks?

Hunter007

6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

So what was your point in this thread ?

You asked for advice and then picked the LAST firearm that any of the posters advised you to take...

It sounds like you had already made up your mind and were looking for someone to agree with you...

Strange ain’t it? 

Cant wait for the field report if he ever goes. 

• Like 2

The guys with the bows usually can consistently put one arrow after another into a peapod in their limitations.  They (We) the vast majority of the time are hunting from a stand. 

Bring the gun you shoot best, no reason at all to bring anything else. Do not think you can consider yourself actually hunting if you are carrying your backpack/ camping gear. Have you practiced any shooting with your pack on ? That will be an eye opener.The best bet is to set your base camp and still hunt from it. Your gun is the most important piece of gear you are bringing, (well, perhaps boots are) don't compromise.

I hope you go and have a great time, but you need to realistically understand the conditions you will be in. Of course, by now you have scoped out an area and scouted (just like the rest of us have been doing for months, right?)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

The guys with the bows usually can consistently put one arrow after another into a peapod in their limitations.  They (We) the vast majority of the time are hunting from a stand. 

Bring the gun you shoot best, no reason at all to bring anything else. Do not think you can consider yourself actually hunting if you are carrying your backpack/ camping gear. Have you practiced any shooting with your pack on ? That will be an eye opener.The best bet is to set your base camp and still hunt from it. Your gun is the most important piece of gear you are bringing, (well, perhaps boots are) don't compromise.

I hope you go and have a great time, but you need to realistically understand the conditions you will be in. Of course, by now you have scoped out an area and scouted (just like the rest of us have been doing for months, right?)

I shoot good with all my guns and bows and I dont take shots  I know I cant hit at .  The hard part going to be finding a buck up there in my opinion. 

If I bring the shotgun I'm not going to shoot at the range I would with my rifle obviously.

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

So what was your point in this thread ?

You asked for advice and then picked the LAST firearm that any of the posters advised you to take...

It sounds like you had already made up your mind and were looking for someone to agree with you...

Go back and read it  again pygm ask what you would use 

If you had a choice between those guns .

To bring up there 

If you want to agrea or not  with what I feel like using does not offend me buddy 

I like to here opinions anyway. 

I'd use the semi auto carbine in a rifle chambering...

I hunted ( as a guest)  from an Adirondack camp back around 1980....There were 20 members in camp, and we executed  " organized still hunts", where some hunters would slowly still hunt a large area and others would  stand  in areas where deer were likely  move ahead of the  stillhunters...They were very successful...Nearly all of the guys in camp used  pumps or autos, mostly in .308  or 30-06...I was one of only two hunters who carried a bolt action, and there were a couple of levers... As I recall, the walkers killed about as many deer as the standers..  If I were to hunt that terrain again, I would want a reasonably light, handy rifle capable of delivering  quick, accurate backup shots toward the south end of a rapidly departing northbound deer... Notably, nobody carried a shotgun....

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Remington 7400 30_06 semi auto carbine. The rifle i carry and when one doesn't do it there's more bullets to come. Many deer met there Demise in The adirondacks to my rifle nothing monstrous but meat in the freezer.

I got that same gun  :)

had it for over 30 years .

I  am bringing that along  but the new  light shotgun I got is  coming along no matter what  . 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

From someone who’s walked hundreds of miles toting closets full of guns different in the dacks a single shot smoothbore 12ga would be my last choice. I have killed bucks up there with single shot rifles and muzzleloaders and would pick them before you’re choice.

Hunting up there is a challenge and any buck is a trophy, you give up too much and don’t gain enough. The biggest problem with the shotgun is the bead, covers too much you won’t see the branch or the twig between you and him, the range is another big factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storm, Buckmaster is like the E.F. Hutton of hunting ADK big bucks.  If he's sharing tips, you should listen.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I want to see his shoulder after rangework and dialing it in. Black n blue comes to mind with loosened fillings in the teeth 

I'm not scoping the shotgun it   has back notch,  besides that adds weight and the only reason I got it was I always  wanted something very light but very powerful not for long range work .

20181007_223914.jpg

Edited by Storm914

4 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Storm, Buckmaster is like the E.F. Hutton of hunting ADK big bucks.  If he's sharing tips, you should listen.  

I know I agree with what he saying %100 totally but I'm still bringing  the shotgun just because Its new and the carbine that's all 

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I'm not scoping the shotgun it   has back notch,  besides that adds weight and the only reason I got it was I always  wanted something very light but very powerful not for long range work .

You still need to feed it different ammo to see what it likes   Shooting beads ? Smoothbore? Try the federal tru ball as a lot more accurate than sluggers 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You still need to feed it different ammo to see what it likes   Shooting beads ? Smoothbore? Try the federal tru ball as a lot more accurate than sluggers 

I got bernanke's ko I got the Winchesters  and I got the Sluggers to try out 

10 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I know I agree with what he saying %100 totally but I'm still bringing  the shotgun just because Its new and the carbine that's all 

How much range time do you have with the 4 lb shotty?  All that 12ga slug recoil has to go somewhere and I can't imagine that experience is too pleasant.

Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

How much range time do you have with the 4 lb shotty?  All that 12ga slug recoil has to go somewhere and I can't imagine that experience is too pleasant.

Good luck on your hunt.

Just got it waiting on choke for it before i run slugs  in it, it came with modified .

I orderd Improve cylinder that  is supposed to work best with slugs at least it does in my other shotgun .

If I can not  shoot for shit with it tho I'm not going to use it .  or limit  my self to the range it or I can shot good  at , keeping my fingers  crossed  hopefully I can get a decent group out to about 75 yards and I will be happy  I'm limiting my self to that distance with this type of gun and no scope if I use it .

That's the thing when you hunt really no your limits of what ever weapon you are going to use and it's not a problem . 

No different then the many deer I have passed bow hunting  on because they were at the wrong angle or a little to far out .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I shoot good with all my guns and bows and I dont take shots  I know I cant hit at .  The hard part going to be finding a buck up there in my opinion. 

If I bring the shotgun I'm not going to shoot at the range I would with my rifle obviously.

Are you serious? You still have to make sure you can hit the target with a shotgun too! You owe it to the animal

6 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Just got it waiting on choke for it before i run slugs  in it, it came with modified .

I orderd Improve cylinder that  is supposed to work best with slugs at least it does in my other shotgun .

If I can not  shoot for shit with it tho I'm not going to use it .  or limit  my self to the range it or I can shot good  at , keeping my fingers  crossed  hopefully I can get a decent group out to about 75 yards and I will be happy  I'm limiting my self to that distance with this type of gun and no scope if I use it .

That's the thing when you hunt really no your limits of what ever weapon you are going to use and it's not a problem . 

No different then the many deer I have passed bow hunting  on because they were at the wrong angle or a little to far out .

Ever think of using periods in your sentence's. No offense but your posts are hard to read.

• Thanks 1