What gun to use in the Adirondacks?

Hunter007

Like to put this out there for anybody who knows the answer , Remington 742 7400 7500 series of guns you here  alot on the web they have jamming problems is it the guns or is it people dont take care of them  dont clean them right or  try shooting them  like a AR when there not design for that . 

Never had problem with my dads 

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Like to put this out there for anybody who knows the answer , Remington 742 7400 7500 series of guns you here  alot on the web they have jamming problems is it the guns or is it people dont take care of them  dont clean them right or  try shooting them  like a AR when there not design for that . 

Helped a guy out with a heirloom gun and fixing his broken stock.

Took it out of the stock what was comfortable to assume first time ever. Had 2-3 shotglass full of oil soaked hemlock needles stuffed into the action from neglect; wouldn't cycle and acted as single shot for many years.

Not a problem since.

• Haha 1

90+% of all issues with Remington autos is magazine related.

I have worked on 20 or 30 of them and have owned better than 10 all issues were fixed with magazine adjustments unless something was broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

We have never had a problem with the two that we have owned since the early 70's.  There is a condition that arises between the bolt and the receiver on some of these guns, where over time, the bolt lugs cut chatter grooves into the receiver as the action cycles. When these grooves become bad enough, the gun starts to jam. I've heard different theories on why this happens, but can't speak with authority if any are true. I won't get into any of those theories, but I can say this, both of  ours are kept immaculately clean and are run with very, very little oil. Mine is 47 years old and my dad's is a few years younger. Both have in excess of 1800 rounds through them. The receivers have some blueing missing and normal wear at bolt contact points, but neither one has even a hint of a chatter groove. I believe if they're properly maintained and used as intended, there won't be any problems.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 5:37 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Don't hold your breath.....

Heres the   updated  you sarcastically  want to know about sounds like , not using the 4 ib shotgun , still waiting for the right choke I ordered to come in, but I just couldn't wait to at least try the gun out with a 3inch slug so I took one shot from a standing position on a sheet of paper no rest just to see what would happen .

Well I missed!!  Distance was 60 yards from a standing position with my other shotgun I would hit that sheet 10 for 10 every time  and close to dead center easily at that distance. 

Needless to say that gun will not be doing any deer hunting until  I can figure out wtf its hitting .

O btw heres a  tip dont shoot 3 inch Mag slug in a short sleeve tshirt  because it leaves a mark lol  and I'm a big guy.

Edited by Storm914

Heres the   updated  you sarcastically  want to know about sounds like , not using the 4 ib shotgun , still waiting for the right choke I ordered to come in, but I just couldn't wait to at least try the gun out with a 3inch slug so I took one shot from a standing position on a sheet of paper no rest just to see what would happen .
Well I missed!!  Distance was 60 yards from a standing position with my other shotgun I would hit that sheet 10 for 10 every time  and close to dead center easily at that distance. 
Needless to say that gun will not be doing any deer hunting until  I can figure out wtf its hitting .
O btw heres a  tip dont shoot 3 inch Mag slug in a short sleeve tshirt  because it leaves a mark lol  and I'm a big guy.

wise doesn’t mean intelligent, it means you’ve done enough dumb shit to learn our lessons. fec96fa4e7b4b4d2be54de189c57bd03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

What are your thoughts on a mini 30 for hunting up there ?

You seem to be going around in circles in this thread to be quite honest.  Just pick a gun that you already own and have been successful with and go hunting.  Believe me it will get the job done if you do your part.

• Like 3

On 10/16/2018 at 1:04 AM, Storm914 said:

Now your turn:) 

images-65.jpg

Your funny, not really but.......

I have far from the collection most on here have, and not the purdiest, but these are my firearms left to right:

Tristar Raptor 12ga -  Really like this shotgun. Wish I had known when I bought it I couldn't get more barrels. Choke system is same as Bennelli and Browning, and spensive Lucy.

Smith And Wesson M&P 15 22 - NYS Compliant ( due to a high density polymer frame, and being a .22LR, I opted to stay with the spur grip and not pin the mag ) - I got used to using the spur, and ya know what, the tree rats don't know the difference.

Savage Axis SS - 25-06

Howa Ranchland Compact ( Weatherby Vanguard ) - 7mm-08.

My choice between the deer rifles to use in the true ADK's would be either. I would lean a little more towards the Axis though, because even though it's a tad longer then the Howa, it's a little over a pound lighter. But, they both handle and swing well.

geez.jpg

Edited by Rob...

28 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Your funny, not really but.......

I have far from the collection most on here have, and not the purdiest, but these are my firearms left to right:

Tristar Raptor 12ga -  Really like this shotgun. Wish I had known when I bought it I couldn't get more barrels. Choke system is same as Bennelli and Browning, and spensive Lucy.

Smith And Wesson M&P 15 22 - NYS Compliant ( due to a high density polymer frame, and being a .22LR, I opted to stay with the spur grip and not pin the mag ) - I got used to using the spur, and ya know what, the tree rats don't know the difference.

Savage Axis SS - 25-06

Howa Ranchland Compact ( Weatherby Vanguard ) - 7mm-08.

My choice between the deer rifles to use in the true ADK's would be either. I would lean a little more towards the Axis though, because even though it's a tad longer then the Howa, it's a little over a pound lighter. But, they both handle and swing well.

geez.jpg

Nice