What gun to use in the Adirondacks?

Hunter007

Wild thread but I will add my 2 cents.

I live on Long Island where shotguns are required. I hunt with a large gang of hunters doing drives. I have seen every shotgun and slug combo possible. You don’t need 3” slugs. They don’t kill and better that 2 3/4”. They also shoot to a much different POI that standard slugs. When shooting a shotgun with a bead it’s the luck of the draw if it will shoot to Point of aim. Remember shotguns are regulated to shoot shot not slugs. You might have to try many brands until you find one that shoots to point of aim or not. That’s why sights and scopes are used to dial shotguns in just like a rifle.

I hunt the big woods of the Catskills. Not as big as the ADK but still large. I don’t hunt on farms or small plots. I hunted with a 742 for over twenty years before the rails wore out inside the receiver. Remington had a trade in program and I got a 7400. The most unlucky gun in the world. I went nine years without a buck, ‘96 to 2004. Heard about the Benoit’s read all their books and started buying 7600’s. 35 Rem, 35 Whelen, 25-06, 7mm-08, 257 Roberts. Sold the 25-06 and 7mm-08. I also bought a 750 in Whelen.

My luck changed. I have shot some good bucks mostly with the 35 Rem. Those rifles carry well and swing well. I tracked my first buck the Benoit way with the 750 a few years ago. Basket  8pt.

My opinion, never limit yourself to a single shot gun except a ML, never choose a shotgun over a rifle and never choose a gun without sights unless it’s an emergency. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, mike103 said:

Wild thread but I will add my 2 cents.

I live on Long Island where shotguns are required. I hunt with a large gang of hunters doing drives. I have seen every shotgun and slug combo possible. You don’t need 3” slugs. They don’t kill and better that 2 3/4”. They also shoot to a much different POI that standard slugs. When shooting a shotgun with a bead it’s the luck of the draw if it will shoot to Point of aim. Remember shotguns are regulated to shoot shot not slugs. You might have to try many brands until you find one that shoots to point of aim or not. That’s why sights and scopes are used to dial shotguns in just like a rifle.

I hunt the big woods of the Catskills. Not as big as the ADK but still large. I don’t hunt on farms or small plots. I hunted with a 742 for over twenty years before the rails wore out inside the receiver. Remington had a trade in program and I got a 7400. The most unlucky gun in the world. I went nine years without a buck, ‘96 to 2004. Heard about the Benoit’s read all their books and started buying 7600’s. 35 Rem, 35 Whelen, 25-06, 7mm-08, 257 Roberts. Sold the 25-06 and 7mm-08. I also bought a 750 in Whelen.

My luck changed. I have shot some good bucks mostly with the 35 Rem. Those rifles carry well and swing well. I tracked my first buck the Benoit way with the 750 a few years ago. Basket  8pt.

My opinion, never limit yourself to a single shot gun except a ML, never choose a shotgun over a rifle and never choose a gun without sights unless it’s an emergency. 

Thanks for your input,   but one thing  I'm not  doing is buying anymore convention  rifles  since %80 of the time I'm hunting in areas that dont allow rifles only shotguns .

If I do get a another rifle for big woods country  it will be a take down and most likely the  blr  lightweight  

Or Taylor Alaskan  .

Leaning to the BLR tho better selection of calibers . 

Anyone want to put there 2 cents in on good and bad of either one of those more then welcome .