What gun to use in the Adirondacks?

Hunter007

5 hours ago, Savagehunter said:

Are you serious? You still have to make sure you can hit the target with a shotgun too! You owe it to the animal

Of course I am going to  test the shotgun first before I use it ,or if i use it  . And I'm not going to use it at the ranges I would shoot out to with my rifles .  I will limit myself to what  I can shoot well at with that gun . 

Edited by Storm914

19 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

You toting a smooth bore open sighted 12ga 4lb single shot on a deer hunt. 

Think of it this way Is it more crazy then  using a recurve or a crossbow or a hand gun  or musket to hunt deer with ? When you dont half to .

When you can use a high powerd scoped rifle ?

Which btw I'm bringing anyway.

Or hunt public land when you can hunt private property. 

Sometimes people want to limit themself,  that's all,  for the challenge of it .

Anyway if I can't hit for crap with it at moderate range I'm not going to use it .

Edited by Storm914

You are %100 right when you try to shoot out past about 70 80yards 
At closer range not a big deal they way I look at it  , guys do this up there with Bows , so doing it with a single shot shotgun  is still better then trying it with a bow .
Besides I'm planning on bringing  some small game loads and do a little small game hunting part of the time I'm up there .
Some of the biggest deer I have ever seen were  taken by someone I know who hunts with  stage coach double barrel .
And one of my cousins shot 2 deer on the run  with a rem 870 with just a beed  only took 2 shots   the first year he went deer hunting  on a drive 
Some States all you can use are single shots  plenty deer killed every year like this .
Is it the easiest way to hunt no 
Is it the hardest way to hunt no. compared to bow 
Is it going to be fun hell yes .

And I'm going to be so happy I took the 4ib gun if I actually do shoot a 200 ib buck up there 5 miles from the road  when I'm dragging  it back that is for sure .

Last reply to this thread as I can’t take it anymore,
At 70yds a bead covers most of the deer, refer back to my last post.

You’re correct a very few guys kill deer still hunting with bows in the big woods, I have done it twice. Not sure what this has to do with your choice in the shotgun but I bet 100$ I’ll shoot a better 5 shot group with my bow at 70yds than you can with this shotgun.

If you want to hike miles in to hunt small game have at it, the old saying about trying to get two leads to getting none comes to mind.

Yes, everyone knows deer can be killed with shotguns! Years ago many of us on here had to use them. I don’t know of anyone that still used a shotgun in rifle zones unless for sentimental reasons.

Enjoy your hunt, I wish you the best of luck. Please put more rational thought into staying safe than you have your weapon choice.

Let me know if you’re interested in losing the 100$ I’m even willing to travel, I don’t go back to work until dec 18th so I have plenty of time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Last reply to this thread as I can’t take it anymore,
At 70yds a bead covers most of the deer, refer back to my last post.

You’re correct a very few guys kill deer still hunting with bows in the big woods, I have done it twice. Not sure what this has to do with your choice in the shotgun but I bet 100$ I’ll shoot a better 5 shot group with my bow at 70yds than you can with this shotgun.

If you want to hike miles in to hunt small game have at it, the old saying about trying to get two leads to getting none comes to mind.

Yes, everyone knows deer can be killed with shotguns! Years ago many of us on here had to use them. I don’t know of anyone that still used a shotgun in rifle zones unless for sentimental reasons.

Enjoy your hunt, I wish you the best of luck. Please put more rational thought into staying safe than you have your weapon choice.

Let me know if you’re interested in losing the 100$ I’m even willing to travel, I don’t go back to work until dec 18th so I have plenty of time!

Thanks buddy 

I'm not disagreeing with you about a rifle being the best choice.  Or about the beed 

Like I said if I cant get anything to group well in it I'm not using it .

I'm not sure what your saying about you bow exactly 

Are you saying a bow is more effective then a shotgun at 70 yards  on deer ? Or when still hunting ?

Never mind accuracy part because we both know  either one  can put 3 shots   in the kill zone of a deer .

Except  with a  shotgun you  can shoot from many more angles and still  kill effectively. 

Plus by the time your arrow gets there the deer could move out of the way.  

And even a single shot gun can be reloaded faster then a compound bow with a trigger release or crossbow. 

Not as good as a scoped rifle of course not .

Is it going to matter when average shot in NY state taken by hunters is under 70 yards  

Im not going to shoot if it is  out of my range limit anyway . 

Edited by Storm914

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:48 AM, Storm914 said:

you have these choices  large bore 8.9 ib  bolt action ,8ib  carbine semi-automatic  8 ib 12ga  shotgun semi-automatic 

Or take down  4.5 ib  single shot shotgun .

I have actually used all the choices you have listed and have by far taken the most Deer with the semi auto 12 Ga  shotgun. The shotgun made the most kills not because it was the firearm of choice but because back in the day I hunted a lot in shotgun only areas of the state. My preference of the four choices would be either of the rifles as long as they fit me right and I have complete confidence in my ability to shoot them well. I like rifles over slugs because of a little less recoil and their accuracy edge, If there is an edge to be had I like to take it.

Al

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:02 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Maybe it's just me but whether I use a shotgun or rifle depends on the terrain I am hunting. I seldom if ever use a rifle when hunting in the woods and find a shotgun more practical because I don't expect to get a long distant shot in the woods. For me a rifle is for a longer distance in open terrain.

I have shot a hell of a lot more deer with a shotgun than rifle and am confident with it to about 150 yds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

Maybe it's just me but whether I use a shotgun or rifle depends on the terrain I am hunting. I seldom if ever use a rifle when hunting in the woods and find a shotgun more practical because I don't expect to get a long distant shot in the woods. For me a rifle is for a longer distance in open terrain.

I have shot a hell of a lot more deer with a shotgun than rifle and am confident with it to about 150 yds.

Me to , my cousins , friends all have shot plenty of deer with shotguns and with first shot .

I did not think this would be a controversial issue here,  I guess I was wrong  . Nobody is debating that at long range or  in a  field  or open clearing   you need a rifle to take far shots that  may president themselves 

I dont  know maybe I wrote it wrong ?  I wasn't asking which one was going to be more accurate. I already know it's not going to be any of my shotguns  that doesn't mean it's not effective within its range limits. 

Edited by Storm914

Stormy, my friend....Lots of us here have killed LOTS of deer with shotguns....No debating that they are effective for killing deer within their limits...

In your OP, you asked what  the posters here would prefer as a deer gun in the Adirondacks ….

They answered you, from your list of available firearms...  Several of them are experienced  big woods deer hunters...

What more can I say  ?       Have a good day...

• Like 4

In Stormy's defense, I have to admit that I once wished I had a shotgun up there (my short, smooth-bore 12 gauge Remington 870 with open sights and plastic stock and foregrip).  My only deer rifle at the time was a full sized Ruger M77 bolt-action 30/06 with a 3-9X scope.    That thing is long and heavy and has a fancy laminated stock.  It is not an ideal gun for Adirondack deer hunting in any conditions.  The weather forecast for opening weekend of gun season in 2016 was heavy wind-driven rain/sleet/and snow both Saturday and Sunday.  Rather than subject that gun to those conditions, I decided to skip it and drove home early.   I would have toughed it out, if I really needed meat, but I had killed a doe a few days earlier with my ML.  The butcher where I dropped it off at was on my way home.  They had finished packaging it and were closing at noon on Saturday.  They were not open Sunday, which gave me another reason to depart early.   I ended up getting a buck up there later, in much better conditions (light North wind, 3" of fresh powdery snow, temperature about 30 degrees F), on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so at least the story had a happy ending.   

Having to skip a deer hunt, because I don't have the right gun, is something I won't let happen again.  I traded my woodchuck gun (Ruger M77 22/250) for a Remlin 336BL 30/30 lever action.   Last year the conditions were not right for that (no rain or snow when I was up there), so I have yet to hunt with it.  The only way I will go up there again without it is if I get a crack at a deer with it and it fails to deliver.   If that happens, I will sell it and go back to my Remington 870, which has never failed to deliver on the flatlands of home.   They might laugh at me for carrying a shotgun, but at least I will be eating good.  There is something to be said for having confidence in your weapon, even if it is not the "popular" choice in the area you hunt. 

p.s  it looks like Stormy has finally come to his senses  ^^      

• Like 1

I think I'm going to take buckmaster and others advice and take 30-06 semi automatic carbine .
And switch to the light shotgun only if  I start getting fatigued from walking around with it all day long up there . 

20181009_201605.thumb.jpg.08d455661b15937bdcfffe03ee624e23.jpg

Oh dear god, of course it has see through scope mounts.🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Oh dear god, of course it has see through scope mounts.

That's my dads gun he never had a problem with it  getting deer . O did I mention he was in the Special Forces in the military.  If you are good you are good I guess .

Anyway if it was up to me would change it .

Edited by Storm914

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

That's my dads gun he never had a problem with it .

Back in your Dad's day optical sights and scopes did not have the sterling reputation for reliability that today's equipment have. Back 40 years ago when I worked in a gun shop I was constantly boxing up and sending scopes back to manufacturers for repairs, broken lenses, crosshairs and fogging were the main maladies. See through and flip over  and detachable mounts were common back in those days to save the day in case of a scope failure. I mounted many setups for customers exactly as Stormy's Dad's 742, the see throughs raised the scope a bit too high for a good cheek weld but they did actually work as intended.

I tried to talk customers into spending a bit more for a Leupold scope because of the perfect reliability but many thought I was just giving them a sales pitch and after more cash.

Live and Learn

Al

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, airedale said:

Back in your Dad's day optical sights and scopes did not have the sterling reputation for reliability that today's equipment have. Back 40 years ago when I worked in a gun shop I was constantly boxing up and sending scopes back to manufacturers for repairs, broken lenses, crosshairs and fogging were the main maladies. See through and flip over  and detachable mounts were common back in those days to save the day in case of a scope failure. I mounted many setups for customers exactly as Stormy's Dad's 742, the see throughs raised the scope a bit too high for a good cheek weld but they did actually work as intended.

I tried to talk customers into spending a bit more for a Leupold scope because of the perfect reliability but many thought I was just giving them a sales pitch and after more cash.

Live and Learn

Al

Yep that's exactly what he told me he said he really only used the scope to see if the deer was a spike doe buck basically like binoculars and always used the iron sites for shooting he never trusted it . Of course it helps that  he has eyes like Hawk better then 20 20  

Edited by Storm914

That's my dads gun he never had a problem with it  getting deer . O did I mention he was in the Special Forces in the military.  If you are good you are good I guess . Anyway if it was up to me would change it . 

A lot of people used them, a lot of people killed deer with them. The problem with them is that you can’t get a cheekweld and see through the scope. It forces you to have to float your face and try to find the scope costing time and accuracy, scope shadow becomes a big issue! Another big problem with them is that it kills you in low light scenarios if you wanted to use the irons because you’re looking through a tunnel at irons. Another problem when trying to use iron sights is that it takes away one of the biggest attributes of using iron sights, the open sight picture when tracking a moving deer while looking through the sights because of the tunnel vision. The only good part about see through mounts is that they make the scope into an excellent carrying handle.  

You’re worried about weight, there’s an easy way to shave a lb take that scope and mount off and spent 20$ and mount a Williams peep on it and you’ll have an excellent walkabout adk gun! Also ditch that heavy leather sling and takes those sling swivels off they’re well known for squeaking and rattling at the worst times, if you think you need a sling a section of 550 cord with loops on both ends works perfect for when you’re dragging other wise leave it in the pack or pocket. Slings get caught on way too much crap when trying to sneak through the woods!

One piece of advice I’ll give you on the 7400 is make sure it’s clean but don’t put any oil near the firing pin! They’re well known for humming up when it’s cold if oiled and you’ll get light primer strikes.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The only good part about see through mounts is that they make the scope into an excellent carrying handle.

Let me start off by saying that I don't like see thru scope mounts.  I don't see the point behind them.  In my opinion, one should decide on a scope or iron sights and stick with one.  Deciding on one or the other when you have game in front of you isn't the time to be deciding.  Plus, I have never seen a well made see thru scope mount.  Most are made of cheap aluminum which is not what I want on a dependable big game rifle.  I want solid steel.  I would also strongly suggest NOT using a scope set up in see thru mount as a carrying handle.  I will guarantee you that the scope will be knocked out of zero sooner than later.  That cheap aluminum will not hold up to such abuse.  If there is any scope that should be pampered, it's one set up in see thru mounts.  My .02 cents.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

A lot of people used them, a lot of people killed deer with them. The problem with them is that you can’t get a cheekweld and see through the scope. It forces you to have to float your face and try to find the scope costing time and accuracy, scope shadow becomes a big issue! Another big problem with them is that it kills you in low light scenarios if you wanted to use the irons because you’re looking through a tunnel at irons. Another problem when trying to use iron sights is that it takes away one of the biggest attributes of using iron sights, the open sight picture when tracking a moving deer while looking through the sights because of the tunnel vision. The only good part about see through mounts is that they make the scope into an excellent carrying handle.

You’re worried about weight, there’s an easy way to shave a lb take that scope and mount off and spent 20$ and mount a Williams peep on it and you’ll have an excellent walkabout adk gun! Also ditch that heavy leather sling, if you think you need a sling a section of 550 cord with loops on both ends works perfect for when you’re dragging other wise leave it in the pack or pocket. Slings get caught on way too much crap when trying to sneak through the woods!

One piece of advice I’ll give you on the 7400 is make sure it’s clean but don’t put any oil near the foreign pin! They’re well known for humming up when it’s cold if oiled and you’ll get light primer strikes.

I agree with all the advice Buckmaster7600 has given the OP. I have hunted with my Rem 742 since my dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 15. I'm now 62. I have dumped a lot of deer with Ole Reliable in all that time. I am strictly a still hunter, or tracker when snow conditions are right. To that end, my gun wears a Leupold 1.5-5 mounted as low as possible for the cheek weld and pointability. It is set around 2.5x for a wide field of view and I ditched the factory irons so they are not visible through the scope.

When it's raining or snowing hard, I switch to my dad's 742 carbine onto which I installed a Williams peep sight. I took out the aperture and painted the base ring with fluorescent green nail polish. Now it's like a ghost ring with a big field of view. It is really slick to use in thick woods. 

Regarding slings, my guns never wear one. When I was a much younger man, I missed the opportunity at a very large buck while walking out to meet my dad with the gun on my shoulder. There just wasn't enough time to get the gun into position before he set his ears and took off. That was a very hard lesson learned. Since that day I carry a lite black nylon sling in my coat that doesn't go on until I'm ready to drag my deer. My gun is always in front of me ready to go.

We have always kept our 742's very clean and run them almost dry except for the slightest hint of oil on the action bars. We have never had any problems with either gun, in all these years, maintained  this way.

OP, take  and use your dad's 742. The weight is not that bad. You'll get used to it. An added bonus is the connection you'll have to your dad. Believe me when I tell you, that becomes huge when he's gone. 

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 3

I agree with all the advice Buckmaster7600 has given the OP. I have hunted with my Rem 742 since my dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 15. I'm now 62. I have dumped a lot of deer with Ole Reliable in all that time. I am strictly a still hunter, or tracker when snow conditions are right. To that end, my gun wears a Leupold 1.5-5 mounted as low as possible for the cheek weld and pointability. It is set around 2.5x for a wide field of view and I ditched the factory irons so they are not visible through the scope.
When it's raining or snowing hard, I switch to my dad's 742 carbine onto which I installed a Williams peep sight. I took out the aperture and painted the base ring with fluorescent green nail polish. Now it's like a ghost ring with a big field of view. It is really slick to use in thick woods. 
Regarding slings, my guns never wear one. When I was a much younger man, I missed the opportunity at a very large buck while walking out to meet my dad with the gun on my shoulder. There just wasn't enough time to get the gun into position before he set his ears and took off. That was a very hard lesson learned. Since that day I carry a lite black nylon sling in my coat that doesn't go on until I'm ready to drag my deer. My gun is always in front of me ready to go.
We have always kept our 742's very clean and run them almost dry except for the slightest hint of oil on the action bars. We have never had any problems with either gun, in all these years, maintained  this way.
OP, take  and use your dad's 742. The weight is not that bad. You'll get used to it. An added bonus is the connection you'll have to your dad. Believe me when I tell you, that becomes huge when he's gone. 

It’s funny how people that hunt the same way often use the same setups. I probably have 50 deer rifles and like using different guns all the time but when it gets to be the middle of November and it’s time to get serious I either have a 7600 35whelen carbine with a Leopold vx6 1-6 or a when it’s raining or snowing a 760 in 35 rem with a peep gets the call.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It’s funny how people that hunt the same way often use the same setups. I probably have 50 deer rifles and like using different guns all the time but when it gets to be the middle of November and it’s time to get serious I either have a 7600 35whelen carbine with a Leopold vx6 1-6 or a when it’s raining or snowing a 760 in 35 rem with a peep gets the call.

Exactly! I too have other deer rifles that are a joy to carry. Win 70 featherweight in 7mm-08, Ruger RSI 250 Savage, Ruger Ultra lite 257 Rob. But, when it starts to feel like time is getting short and it's crunch time, then I head to the bull pen and grab Ole Reliable. As others have stated many times before, confidence goes a long way in determining our luck. With my beat up old friend in my hands, (actually, I gave it a face lift over the winter), my confidence level increases exponentially. 

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 2

After reading all of this , I'm starting to think  now maybe I should use the gun I have been using the most for the past 10 15 years the semi-automatic shotgun with iron sites I have  shot countless slugs  through  it they fly good out to 100 yards with a rifle choke even tho I like to keep my shooting to 70 anyway. 

I just have much more trigger time with that gun then the others. Since I have been hunting almost exclusively in shotgun only areas .

All the other guns I own just dont get used anymore. 

Shotgun zones screwed me up kinda now . 

Edited by Storm914