Archery :Quartering towards shot. Do you ?

turkeyfeathers

At this early stage of my archery career I'm passing on every one of these. Too small and little room for error. Might it blow thru the shoulder blade sure. But I don't want to lose a deer on my stupidity.  Give me a quartering away or broadside and I'm hitting the release.   Gun and it's kaboom   I know some concentrate on the exit hole but that being said there's that shoulder blade getting in the way of the other side.

• Like 5

Nope. Had to put a buck down that I spined with the xbow he was bedded the broadhead did not pass through shoulder blade on my 2nd shot.. Using piledriver bolts and muzzy trocar. Hard lesson learned so now i do not underestimate shoulder blades...

Always pass on those. I have not had a big buck tempt me like that,but i would like to think he would still get a pass. 

Wounding a deer because of my ego/greed is not on my to do list. The way i hunt i know it is going to be luck for the most part anyway if i happen upon a slammer. Scouting is difficult in my area since i hunt high ground mostly and there are no crop fields,just some hay fields.

I did pass on a 6 point two years ago that gave me that shot.

It is extremely important, especially with mechanical broad heads, to have an exit wound.  At least that is the experience that I have had.  So for me that means only broadside or very slightly quartering  shots.  Of course, sometimes they move after the shot is taken!

jperch

A very slight quartering towards me then yes, but the arrow goes behind the shoulder.. not in front of it. Unless your slinging 5 or 600 grain setups.. Good luck. I know people who wont pass this shot up and have been successful but.. Not me. Ive wounded a couple through my years with perfect broadside shots. Im Just not going to chance it. even though on a 3d target and i can sink them in there all day long. 

I did have to put a doe down that i spine shot 3 years ago.. when she collapsed she fell to her side and was facing me straight on from a 12ft elevation. I wanted her out of he misery as quick as possible.. So I tucked an arrow right under her shoulder and up through everything. She passed very fast after. But i wont do it again..  

I’ll admit to going against the grain, slight quartering to yes, hold behind shoulder get a lung and liver dead deer every time lots of blood, hard quartering to hold in front of shoulder bottom1/3 heart a lung and liver even without exit plenty of blood dead deer. I won’t shoot if the angle would force me to aim at shoulder for vitals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why an Elk and not a whitetail? More room for error? Bones arent as tough on a whitetail compared to an Elk I would imagine?  

Google Elk frontal shot. Lots of great videos. I’ve never hunted elk, but many times they come straight into calls at a close range.

Remember, I’m always talking about ground hunting. Treestand angles are obviously different and I know nothing about since I’m always on the ground

I will take the shot of only a very very very slight quarter to like almost broadside. I agree with what was said before if you do take that shot still aim right behind the shoulder, don’t ever bother trying to punch through it...if you look at my doe harvest this year you will see what happens. I found a shaft in her shoulder.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I will take the shot of only a very very very slight quarter to like almost broadside. I agree with what was said before if you do take that shot still aim right behind the shoulder, don’t ever bother trying to punch through it...if you look at my doe harvest this year you will see what happens. I found a shaft in her shoulder.

I killed a 2.5 year old busted up 8-point in 2016 with a shot like that.  He was maybe "1/16th to".  The broadhead must have just clipped the back edge of the shoulder blade and deflected back.  It ended up exiting the ham on the opposite side.  I wondered what the heck happened when the buck stumbled away, dragging his rear leg.  The mechanical broadhead really made a mess thru his guts after going thru both lungs and liver.  He dropped dead in sight about 40 yards away.