Climber stand guys

Jeremy K

I forgot my rope to hoist my bow up Saturday.  Are you guys hanging the bow off the upper portion while climbing or leave the bow on the ground with a rope attached and then climb? I climbed Saturday ,I had to put the bow between me and the tree and I really didn't like the string grinding on the bark of the tree.

I have two haul lines attached to the upper section and when not in use, stuffed in a zippered side pouch.  (different compartments to avoid a birds nest)

After I have the stand all set and I'm ready to climb aboard for the ascent, I hook a dog collar type snap to the upper wheel (YIKES, don't tell Tacks) and then climb up, get stand locked in, hang bow holder and then haul up the bow.

The second line is two fold, the obvious is for a back up and also if I have a ton of clothes, I tie them on and haul them up too.

• Like 1

I pull mine up with a rope, I have my rope cut to length so when it’s taught with my bow on the ground I am up 23 feet. Third hand archery makes a bow holder that you can climb with your bow in it. I bought 3 of the holders for myself wife and my son and it is a high quality holder. My rope always goes in my fanny pack.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

I sometimes climb with my pack on and the bow hoist is attached to the pack. Then when I am set in the stand I pull it up or I tie a rope or hoist to bow and the stand an once again pull it up when the stand is set. I always have a "extra" cord in my  pack as a back-up and would never consider climbing with my bow.

One distraction  that is not needed during climbing. If for some reason I should not have a means to pull the bow up after getting set I would be heading for home or the hardware store to get one.

• Like 1

Guess my pack was a wee heavy yesterday afternoon when trying to defy gravity and hoist it up into oak tree lock on stand. . It felt anchored to the ground and hoist line had a lot of stretch   Second attempt and I had her up. Oh yeah I’m pretty good about letting it slip through my fingers on way down getting rope burn   Gloves dummy , gloves !  I need a pulley system for climber stand for bow / gun rope and one for pack. I was a cubscout and taught to be prepared. Maybe pack my backpack lighter would be prepared 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I tie my pull rope to the climber,then pull the bow up when i am all set. That is if i remember to tie my bow to the line. Never had to climb with the bow and cant  even imagine that. I do climb with my backpack on.

At  first i gave up , i went and sat on a stump staring at the climber still on the tree . I decided i was getting up that tree any way possible . Once in position,i started thinking if i should put hooks off the front or use a rope . Sounds like a rope is the popular way to go. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have one thats similar to it , just have to remember where it is . I'm digging the third hand archery straps too. 

Bought the straps, bow holders and insulator strips for our stands for this year. Tested them out and very happy with it all.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

The straps are literally the best $20 youll ever spend for your climber

At first I liked them for how tight I could hold the top and bottom pieces together during transport ,once I got in the tree and tightened up on them,what a difference. 

I always carry a backpack with me. I attach it to my stand with a carabiner and the bungee it on. I say that because I have a 20' section of 550 paracord in the back pack. It is on the bottom but it is always there, you never know when you will need it. Doesn't weigh anything either. I always pull my bow up and wear the back pack. 

Edited by biggamefish

I still need to get a thumb screw or I'll make something tomorrow to tighten it down more . I can't get enough leverage with the wing nut. I wish I started using this stand last year , I have a really cool idea to attach some mounts to it for holding the bow while I hike in.  Best treestand I've ever used .

20181011_164239.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 10:23 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

8d2f1a55b345bc405a0f46984b95f26e.jpgthirdhand archery bow holder, I climb with the bow in it

Thanks for posting this, this would be a huge convenience for me, I really dislike hoisting up with a rope, I can do it, but its annoying.

Also I qouted Jeremy first by mistake, so if the posts are whacky thats why

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting this, this would be a huge convenience for me, I really dislike hoisting up with a rope, I can do it, but its annoying.
Also I qouted Jeremy first by mistake, so if the posts are whacky thats why

Of you don’t already have his stabilizer straps I’m telling you there’s no better add on to a climber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2