Need advice!!

Hunter9396

Shot a nice 8pt this morning and when I shot him I misjudged yardage and hit him a little high. When he took off, he took off hard and fast, my arrow was sticking out of him and then fell out after he started running. He ran into some thick stuff and sounded like he was falling when he was running. Not sure tho because I couldn’t see him. Haven’t gotten down yet to look for arrow. What do you guys think? Low chance of recovering him?

• Like 1

Shot a nice 8pt this morning and when I shot him I misjudged yardage and hit him a little high. When he took off, he took off hard and fast, my arrow was sticking out of him and then fell out after he started running. He ran into some thick stuff and sounded like he was falling when he was running. Not sure tho because I couldn’t see him. Haven’t gotten down yet to look for arrow. What do you guys think? Low chance of recovering him?
I'd wait at least 2 hours before trying to find him especially since you don't know for sure where you hit him

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Get down and go to the arrow, and look at it. What you do next is going to depend on that. Noone on here can tell you what the recovery percentage is, as none of us were there to see the hit. The area you circled on the picture encompases everything from a dead deer in less than 50 yards, to a non-lethal meat hit lol.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Hunter9396 said:

Quietly climb down and as wnybuckhunter said check your arrow then go home or back to the truck. Keep going over the shot in your head and where he went in to the brush. It will be hard but grab some breakfast  etc. and if you can call a buddy to help track him. Myself I would give  him as much time as you can, I wouldn’t go back in till noon at the earliest. Good luck and take your time.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

Could you tell how much penetration from arrow.  High lung can go a long ways as confirmed by my opening day buck which traveled over .56 miles (zigzagging and doubling back) according to onx maps.  Hopefully he will bed.  Grab arrow and don’t bump him.  Go back later this afternoon.   One good thing was that we had blood most of the trail but not much at very start.   We did have 2 holes.  With only one you will have less blood.  Be patient and methodical.   

One more thing - watch the forecast.  You want to get on blood before any expected rain.  Doppler radar will let you know if and when rain is coming.

Edited by moog5050

Don't leave us hanging....did you grab the arrow yet?
What sound did the arrow make at impact....loud snapping?? Potential high shoulder hit?
Post a pic of the arrow and amount it penetrated. Hopefully that broadhead was grinding a bit as he was running and chewing up a nice hole.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Here's what I would do sit fo1/2 hour you said the arrow fell out. I would climb down go to the spot where you shot the deer and try to find a blood trail to the arrow. If you find blood look at the color and for bubbles if you find bubbles you have at lease one lung. Check the arrow to see how much penetration you have. Then I would sit at lease 1 hour or go get something to eat. Then get back on the trail if you have less than 8 inches of penetration you probably hit one lung then wait longer. Remember there is no mythic dead spot in the chest cavity.

• Like 1

What are are you in? I could consider bringing my dog out later but I would not want you guys to pursue it unless you are seeing things like bubbles in your blood. If it's an unknown hit, a 6-8 hour wait is best because very very few non lethal hits end up expiring in just a few hours. But many expire after 6, 8, 10 hours. Many times when blind searching this early you just end up pushing a deer that may otherwise die in its first bed if left alone long enough. The big question here is what exactly the blood looks like? If it does not look good you are searching way too early. Good luck

• Like 2

if it was high and the arrow fell out there's a good chance he's fine. Not mortally wounded and nothing that will bother him in the long run. That said, with adrenaline pumping i've had a few shots I thought were off on impact and ended up being double lungers. My best buck was shot high but at a steep downward angle. so it went down into the vitals and not missing them from a flatter shot. He only went 30 yards and expired.

As mentioned, your arrow will tell a great deal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hunter9396 said:

Looking right now. I’m in a swampy area so it’s hard to look. Hoping arrow didn’t fall into water. Plus I’m color blind so that doesn’t make it any better. Waiting on a buddy to get here and help 

oh no, i'm colorblind too.... ALWAYS need help finding blood so i have to call buddies as well..

• Like 1

Sounds like it could be a high lung, I agree that waiting at least 2 hours is a minimum.  If you can wait till noon you have a better chance at getting him, I also agree to get help with tracking, high hits can be hard to track as the blood needs to fill the cavity.  Best of luck, keep us posted. 

The advice given here is generally solid. But even climbing out of your stand to look for the arrow could get that deer up and moving if he's close by and can hear you. That's the last thing you want to have happen. I hate to be coarse about it but you want him to lie down and bleed to death. That's the point, so to speak, and that won't likely happen if he's being chased.

Apparently you're already moving, but next time use your binoculars from the stand. It will take you some time with the binos to locate the arrow and study it through the glass, and to look at the blood in the area and give everything a thorough look. Point one: It will keep you in your stand for a couple of critical hours. Point two: It will make you a better observer through your binoculars.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, philoshop said:

The advice given here is generally solid. But even climbing out of your stand to look for the arrow could get that deer up and moving if he's close by and can hear you. That's the last thing you want to have happen. I hate to be coarse about it but you want him to lie down and bleed to death. That's the point, so to speak, and that won't likely happen if he's being chased.

Apparently you're already moving, but next time use your binoculars from the stand. It will take you some time with the binos to locate the arrow and study it through the glass, and to look at the blood in the area and give everything a thorough look. Point one: It will keep you in your stand for a couple of critical hours. Point two: It will make you a better observer through your binoculars.

Good advice 

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I try to pound this into the heads of new hunters on a regular basis.

The primary point of hunting is killing. If you have no interest in killing carry a camera.

That killing happens primarily from blood loss. You can't scare a deer to death no matter how loud your gun is. If you don't give the animal time to die then you end up chasing it. Not good for you, as a human, and very disrespectful of the animal.

2 hours ago, Hunter9396 said:

What do you guys think? Low chance of recovering him?

It doesn't matter what we think. You were there, you took the shot, and it is up to you to follow up and make a decision based on what you find or do not find. Tracking and interpreting sign is part of the hunt.

Not sure if this is current but when in doubt call in some help:

https://huntingny.com/forums/topic/7058-deer-search-inc/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philoshop said:

But even climbing out of your stand to look for the arrow could get that deer up and moving if he's close by and can hear you.

Good advice, that happened to me three years ago. Was fortunate to recover the doe the next morning after a high lung hit. She went another 800 yards after I bumped her. I should have stayed put.

• Like 1