Need advice!!

Hunter9396

I am reluctant to disagree with the hundreds of years of solid deer hunting experience on this board, but I know several bow hunters that waited an hour or so to track their deer and had NOTHING except the rack to recover due to Wily E Coyote! Would I wait 2 hours? Probably not. Times have changed. Then again, my recent deer harvests have all been one shot gun kills at standing or slowly walking deer from 5 t0 20 yards. So tracking isn't something that I need to do.

25 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I am reluctant to disagree with the hundreds of years of solid deer hunting experience on this board, but I know several bow hunters that waited an hour or so to track their deer and had NOTHING except the rack to recover due to Wily E Coyote! Would I wait 2 hours? Probably not. Times have changed. Then again, my recent deer harvests have all been one shot gun kills at standing or slowly walking deer from 5 t0 20 yards. So tracking isn't something that I need to do.

1/2 hour is a good general rule of thumb.  I will go less, if if I see or hear the deer crash.  That has been the case with my last (5).   Also, if it is near dusk and I am confident of a good shot, I will go a little early (like 15 minutes) to take advantage of the remaining sunlight.   The coyotes have changed the game for sure.  There was a time, prior to their their arrival in force, when I might have considered an overnight wait, if it looked and/or smelled like a gut hit. That is definitely out of the question now.  Fortunately, it has been about 30 years since I delivered my only gut-shot.   

There may also be times when an immediate pursuit is best.   That would include hits which leave a fixed broadhead in a spot where continued motion could increase the chances of more cutting and greater blood loss.   I had that situation occur once.  The young buck was hit below and in front of the heart.  The broadhead passed thru the near-side upper leg and lodged inside the far-side, upper front leg.  The bow I had back then was not a flat shooter, and I underestimated the range a bit.   If that deer had been left 1/2 hour, it may well have stopped bleeding, because no major artery was hit initially.  The leaves made tracking conditions pretty good, and keeping that deer moving kept the broadhead cutting.  The blood trail got easier to follow after a few hundred yards.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

That’s something to,think about , we have a ton of them where I hunt .

Last year in gun I dropped my buck essentially where he stood 15 yards from my stand , I sat there a few minutes and killed a coyote who, was coming straight to,the buck maybe 5 minutes after I killed the buck .

Last night at last l light two of them came out into a field with deer in it , I believe they scented me ( less then 20 yards) and took off .

Having pushed deer back before I,learned better , I still vote for sitting, but coyotes are a wildcard , but if you jump,the deer and he takes off they still may get him before you do .

12 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

If u put a shot on a deer and u aren't sure it's a kill shot. U go after it after a 1/2 hour? Well I sure hope that you recover that deer. Because I've chased them for a very long time! I'll stay put. And most of the time you only have to worry about that rodent coyote at night. But I do get what u are trying to say. But a bad or not sure bow shot! Wait it out! Some times it's the toughest 2 hrs of ur life. But trust me. My neighbor has my buck! Because I didn't wait. And I pushed him out of his bed. 

13 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

Bears are a wild card too. My neighbor shot a doe at last light during the late season a few years ago, and after helping him look, we decided to let her lay overnight. The next morning we found a crime scene. Followed the bloody drag trail in the snow and found where the bear stashed the remains. Was pretty much just a head, hide, and spine.

13 hours ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

I dont doubt that this has happened, but I believe it's the exception for a deer hit within the hour. In fact, you'd probably hear some pretty vocal yotes so they might even help you find your deer haha.

Thank you guys all for the help! He weighed out to about 170. So it was hard finding blood on him where I shot him because he was in a swampy area and with all the water from the rain it was even harder. So we looked and looked couldn’t find blood or arrow. Then we started looking where I last seen him run in at and it was dry ground. After a couple mins my buddy found blood. Nice bright blood with bubbles in it and a lot of it! So the track was on. There was so much blood after finding first blood even my colorblind ass could track him haha. He was laid up about 70 yards. The shot was a high lung and came out on shoulder blade that’s why I believe the arrow was sticking out of him when I shot him. 

1179ABEC-E326-44AF-9D17-B94ACF3FAACB.jpeg

• Like 11