Ever see them this aggressive this early?

Culvercreek hunt club

So I am out Friday night for a quick after work hunt. It was an amazing evening for movement. I was in the stand and had a 2.5 year old 8 pointer work his way into 20 yards in front of me. I didn't plan on shooting him so I took out my phone to video him. As I was slowly making my move for the phone he kept looking up the hill behind me. I turned my head to see what he was looking at and I saw another deer in the woods. Just uphill form my shooting lane and about 40 yards out. On this video the downed log is 40 yards. I was waiting to see what he was going to do and I see another deer working it's way up the hill towards the log. I could see glimpses of antler on both of them and was hoping I might see some interaction between them.  Maybe a little brushing or clicking antlers. I wasn't expecting this. The video was cut short when another buck showed up and looked like it was going to go by them and right to me. I dropped the phone on the seat and put my release on. He broke down hill and never came out of the thick stuff. The ones fighting broke up and one was a very nice 10 that ran by me at about 10 yards as fast as he could run from the winner of the fight. Definitely was a 3.5 year old. The winner had a much bigger body and he came walking into another shooting lane at 15 yards. I was at full draw and when he walked out he was definitely mature but his antlers took me by surprise. Left side was a main beam about 2' long and not a single point. Right side was not even there. I was trying to tell if it was broken or deformed for some reason. I let him walk off and as I released my draw the darn arrow popped off the string and rattled it's way all the way down the ladder of the stand. That got his attention and he walked off. In that short sit I saw 14 deer. 10 different bucks. I saw 3 bucks Saturday night that I didn't see Friday and two buck last night that I am pretty sure were repeats. 

Saturday night I went over by the log to see if there was a broken antler there from the winner. Nothing. I can't believe he could effectively take on a challenger with just the one antler. I get the bigger body size would help and have heard stories of bigger bodied less desirable bucks running off ones that have been watched and hunted. 

Wish the quality was better. 

Well I am going to leave this post up while I try to figure out how to put the video up here. 

I will say this taught me that I never have made enough noise when trying rattling.  Have your volume on. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 7

Very  cool  video . I have seen bucks fight but your right not this early. Funny thing is I had a very similar thing happen several years ago, two smaller bucks fighting over a doe they were doging and a dandy 10 comes in and I draw my bow and the nock pulls out of the arrow and it falls to the ground.. 

A 2' long one sided spike would sure be a unique mount!  Sounds like the season is starting off really well Bob!  I do recall last season seeing two bucks going it at hard early season.  I was exiting the woods and they were in a field tearing it up - probably both 2 year olds.  Fun to watch.  I have heard an early rut is predicted this year. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Very  cool  video . I have seen bucks fight but your right not this early. Funny thing is I had a very similar thing happen several years ago, two smaller bucks fighting over a doe they were doging and a dandy 10 comes in and I draw my bow and the nock pulls out of the arrow and it falls to the ground.. 

First time I ever had one pop off letting it down. 

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

A 2' long one sided spike would sure be a unique mount!  Sounds like the season is starting off really well Bob!  I do recall last season seeing two bucks going it at hard early season.  I was exiting the woods and they were in a field tearing it up - probably both 2 year olds.  Fun to watch.  I have heard an early rut is predicted this year. 

I am gonna need a new house and a new wife if I get another mount...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i'm not sure i'd let a handicap stop me from trying to pound some doe ass haha. I've also had the arrow clinker, that sucks. To your question, i've never really seen agression that early. Sparing for sure. From talking with all my buddies, it seems friday night was the night to be out. lots of good action before the front. 

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

First time I ever had one pop off letting it down. 

I hear you, in all the years I have been shooting a bow it’s only happened this one time. Of course it couldn’t have happened when I was shooting 3-d or just shooting in the back yard. 

• Like 1

Jeez that third was a monster compared to the other two. Wonder if he got sick/wounded or something which lead to the antler deformation. Either way it’s good to see rut action out there, cause I haven’t seen many rubs, scrapes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, phillifan22 said:

Jeez that third was a monster compared to the other two. Wonder if he got sick/wounded or something which lead to the antler deformation. Either way it’s good to see rut action out there, cause I haven’t seen many rubs, scrapes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The video doesn't do justice to the two fighting. The loser of the fight was a very nice 10. Maybe 16-17" spread and G2's about 8-9 inches. I hope to give you guys a nice look at a couple of these...lol

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Holy Hell! LOL  That was certainly more of a fight than I was expecting to see this early! I bet seeing that first hand got the blood pumping! Great video Bob!

I really thought the one that runs through at the end was gonna come my way. I still can't figure out what made him run.