Crazy Grouse

nobody

I do not know if any of you guy,s ever experienced this from a Grouse before.  On opening day of Deer hunting one time in area 8T Southern Tier we were hunting up on the high hill area just above Cameron, N.Y..  Now there was fresh snow down 

about three to four inches and it was a cold morning.Our Hunting Club, The Clayton Calumet Rod@Gun Club, had 600 acre,s of posted land in Steuben County. Each member paid $150.00 a year.In our group there were Doctor,s, Police officer,s mostly Deputies and justa bunch of good guy,s wanting to bring home some Deer meat. Over the year,s hunting down there, every one of us had their own usual watch they sat on the opening.  We,ll back to me walking in to my watch, I was cutting through some brush near some Pine Tree,s when I was very startled when I flushed under my feet 4 Ruff Grouse.Holy shit I said to myself being startled. There was a slight rise in the ground leval which I proceeded to walk up on top. Now to my left was a tractor trail  through the wood,s that I walked in on for 75 to 80 yds, and then I cut left back down the same type rise but allot steeper. Lot,s of cover here, yet you could see good down through the pine,s.Got down to my favorite sit, kicked the snow away good and placed my hot seat down then sat down.then I leaned back against the tree behind me. Now if you looked up, you could see ok as far as the still existing cloud cover but a few tree limb,s did block some of my view. Now remember those Grouse I kicked out on the way in, we,ll I think their territorial . I know this sound,s crazy but all of a sudden one flew right in over my head and landed on one of those limb,s above me and he kept fluffing his feather,s with his neck stretched out looking down at me and cacklin like no get out. that dam Bird was intent on chewing my ass out. I,ve never ever experienced this before. Dam, funny as hell and that Bird persisted in his cackling down at me for quite a few second,s. We,ll I lifted up my Mossberg Model 500 with a slug barrel attached to see if I could get a reaction. Sure as shit , the big old Grouse split. He sure somehow new what a gun was. Another time I was climbing a wooded hill area that had a walk trail hunting Squirrel,s and Grouse. I had been climbing in a indian slow walk trying to catch a Grouse or Squirrel on the ground with my vision looking far enough out in front of me. Dammit, I thought to myself I gotta take a shit. I always had some toilet paper with me for these occasion,s so I took a right off of the trail and walked in a way,s till I found a good place to squat to take a dump. Pulled down my pant,s and underwear, laid my Mossberg on the side of me and leaned back enough to distribute to nature some fertilizer. All of a sudden, wham to my right toward,s the trail I got a dam Grouse in full wing spread in my face. I waved my one arm and the bird dove down to the ground in back of me running. I pushed myself forward, grabbed my Mossberg and peppered his ass and then commenced to keep shittin.That dam Bird had been watching me slow walking that trail.Watched me cut in and then lost sight of me. So It flew in toward me looking for me. Bad Bad mistake.

Few weeks ago Gman and I were doing a little scouting while on a atv.  We parked it and a grouse was maybe 25 feet away. It's poking around as we walk back to the wheeler . we continue down the trail on the atv and the thing went to wing and flew right over our heads. Could have smashed it with a tennis racket.  It was indeed following us. Funny

I had one sit under me and my camp stool to get out of the rain one time.  Right between my boots.. I can only guess that he was wondering why a human would sit in the rain for as long as I did. I think he might have mumbled something like "birdbrain" when I finally picked up to leave. :rofl:

• Like 1

I love watching the buggers. They used to call them Fools Hens.

I had a cock pheasant that would follow me in to my stand every evening, then wander off. (he was released). I think he had an untimely end, as he was around for about 6 weeks all the time, then was gone.

This picture is from last fall......I was cutting some wood with the chain saw and hauling it with a wagon pulled by the 4wheeler.  I had stopped cut a tree that fell across the trail and the little bugger jumped into the wagon then climbed in my milk crate full of fuel and tools.  It was really something special!!

kOVY552.png

• Like 1