Shot placement of bear.

Bionic

Just now, Bionic said:

I hear you, the thick fur soaks up the blood, thud keeping it from dripping on the ground...

Where would you aim though?

i aim where i do on a deer. behind leg middle of chest. and let it move leg forwrd before shot opening chest in case shot drifts forward.  although the 1st bear i got was shot in neck and anyplace else i could hit it untill i was out of bullets

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

dc322502ef347a70f7e8075c42127035.jpgNot allowed in my living room emoji24.png

Nice, I like that, I want it looking as if it is walking on my hardwood floors, lol.

I am not married,  and I bought my house on my own, so I cant comment on not being allowed to have it in your living room, but I know when my day comes, it is going where I chose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

i aim where i do on a deer. behind leg middle of chest. and let it move leg forwrd before shot opening chest in case shot drifts forward.  although the 1st bear i got was shot in neck and anyplace else i could hit it untill i was out of bullets

Thank you G-Man, I appreciate it.  

Nice, I like that, I want it looking as if it is walking on my hardwood floors, lol.
I am not married,  and I bought my house on my own, so I cant comment on not being allowed to have it in your living room, but I know when my day comes, it is going where I chose.

I chose that mount because several times on his way in he got up on a stump or a rock and waved his open mouth side to,side, tasting the air I think. I didn't want him "roaring". Don't over think your shot placement, double lung him behind the leg and he will go down in sight. Like GMan said, let that leg go forward first
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I chose that mount because several times on his way in he got up on a stump or a rock and waved his open mouth side to,side, tasting the air I think. I didn't want him "roaring". Don't over think your shot placement, double lung him behind the leg and he will go down in sight. Like GMan said, let that leg go forward first

That's a beautiful mount, please don't take it as if I am saying otherwise.   Thank you for that, I a feeling confident of a shot now.  

9 hours ago, Bionic said:

Where did you hunt in Maine? Just being nosey, it is my favorite place so far, on earth.  And thank you 

I hunted with OMM Outfitters.  They are the only outfitter that Cabela’s recommend in the state of Maine for bear hunting.  They are about $1000 more than most outfitters there but the odds increase greatly for harvesting a bear with them.  When I was there two years ago 9 out of the 10 hunters all left with a bear.  The food was incredible and the private cabins were amazing!66B15CE0-CBEE-4C84-9577-1CB4F288B634.thumb.jpeg.c84526c5daf94a0a300dab9198fd0a72.jpeg5EB7270D-C3CC-45E4-8CFC-4EAD12CF5A90.thumb.jpeg.e89702b68621ef7b6e5d2f8c8571b4cf.jpeg82248522-272F-4FB2-974B-2BAEE3BCB41A.thumb.jpeg.c8b9cc872801fb0cfa671cbe54545302.jpegD5BF5A1A-B3D0-47BB-90C4-CE2DAB85727D.thumb.jpeg.1cb7d5286c57be93f4bffbed8fdd2f69.jpeg

• Like 1

As mentioned earlier I was told Middle of Middle for bear. this was from a Finger Lakes Deer Search Tracker. I would normally aim as if it were a deer. I would imagine the intentions of this saying was to keep away from that front shoulder. Since the average bow setup wont break through one. Even with deer, id rather it a few inches back and track it properly.. than hit a few inches forward. 

Sorry, have not shot a bear yet.. but these words came straight from a Tracker himself. Plus the fact I have  a lot of bear around me if the right opportunity present itself..   

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Pav2704 said:

I hunted with OMM Outfitters.  They are the only outfitter that Cabela’s recommend in the state of Maine for bear hunting.  They are about $1000 more than most outfitters there but the odds increase greatly for harvesting a bear with them.  When I was there two years ago 9 out of the 10 hunters all left with a bear.  The food was incredible and the private cabins were amazing!66B15CE0-CBEE-4C84-9577-1CB4F288B634.thumb.jpeg.c84526c5daf94a0a300dab9198fd0a72.jpeg5EB7270D-C3CC-45E4-8CFC-4EAD12CF5A90.thumb.jpeg.e89702b68621ef7b6e5d2f8c8571b4cf.jpeg82248522-272F-4FB2-974B-2BAEE3BCB41A.thumb.jpeg.c8b9cc872801fb0cfa671cbe54545302.jpegD5BF5A1A-B3D0-47BB-90C4-CE2DAB85727D.thumb.jpeg.1cb7d5286c57be93f4bffbed8fdd2f69.jpeg

Nice place, and mount.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bionic said:

That's a beautiful mount, please don't take it as if I am saying otherwise.   Thank you for that, I a feeling confident of a shot now.  

I didnt, no worries! I hope you get a shot. I bear hunted in the Maine North Woods a few years back. Awful outfitter but it was cheap and I wanted to do something while I was up there scouting moose for a friend that drew a tag (First try, like hitting the Powerball)

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I didnt, no worries! I hope you get a shot. I bear hunted in the Maine North Woods a few years back. Awful outfitter but it was cheap and I wanted to do something while I was up there scouting moose for a friend that drew a tag (First try, like hitting the Powerball)

Wooow, yeah that is like hitting Powerball.  I want to hunt bull moose so badly up there, and in the Yukon.  Was he/she successful?  

I am a big believer, that you get what you pay for, typically.   I am actually going to look at that outfitter website Pav mentioned if they have.  My dad turns 60 in a year, and a half, would love to take him on a hunt of some kind.  Moose, or Mule deer....it would be, even a white tail hunt would be fun since its in a different element.

I would love to submit for a tag, but I feel overwhelmed by it, as if it will just be a disappointment lol.  That gives the hey you never know, as far as your friend's story goes.

Edited by Bionic

10 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Wooow, yeah that is like hitting Powerball.  I want to hunt bull moose so badly up there, and in the Yukon.  Was he/she successful?  

I am a big believer, that you get what you pay for, typically.   I am actually going to look at that outfitter website Pav mentioned if they have.  My dad turns 60 in a year, and a half, would love to take him on a hunt of some kind.  Moose, or Mule deer....it would be, even a white tail hunt would be fun since its in a different element.

I would love to submit for a tag, but I feel overwhelmed by it, as if it will just be a disappointment lol.  That gives the hey you never know, as far as your friend's story goes.

We had several bulls located prior to opening morning and he had a beauty in 15 minutes. Bear hunting over bait is so exciting, I highly recommend! And there are plenty of places to go in Ontario too, under 8 hours from Buffalo. Most offer incredible fishing as well

8 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

We had several bulls located prior to opening morning and he had a beauty in 15 minutes. Bear hunting over bait is so exciting, I highly recommend! And there are plenty of places to go in Ontario too, under 8 hours from Buffalo. Most offer incredible fishing as well

That's awesome about the bulls.  I am sure you saw my Maine thread, we go just to see moose.  It was tough this year, pretty warm this visit.

I have no issue going to Ontario, its on my list of places to see actually.  I want to tent camp in Alqonquin prov park, and hear the wolves howl.

I am located in the souther tier though, but would be willing to drive 12 hrs.

51 minutes ago, Bionic said:

That's awesome about the bulls.  I am sure you saw my Maine thread, we go just to see moose.  It was tough this year, pretty warm this visit.

I have no issue going to Ontario, its on my list of places to see actually.  I want to tent camp in Alqonquin prov park, and hear the wolves howl.

I am located in the souther tier though, but would be willing to drive 12 hrs.

I can get you the info for the place I always went. Its changed hands but my friend just got back and had a great trip. Gogama Lodge, just north of Barrie. The fishing is fantastic and you can take float plane to remote lakes which is an awesome experience

That is why they say middle of the middle. The heart is a tad back but the lungs really are back further. The have to be becasue of the heavier skeletal design on a bear. if you tuck just behind the leg you can shoot in front of the heart.  maybe not as big of a deal on a gun shot but could be a disaster on a bow shot. And those shoulders are not as easy to poke through with a broadhead as they can be with a  deer.   An animal that can run 30 miles an hour and takes a long time to bleed through the thick fur can mean they are long out of sight before the first drop hits the ground. 

Rough math. 30 miles an hour is about 40 feet per second. just 20 seconds for bleed through could be in the 800' range. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

That is why they say middle of the middle. The heart is a tad back but the lungs really are back further. The have to be becasue of the heavier skeletal design on a bear. if you tuck just behind the leg you can shoot in front of the heart.  maybe not as big of a deal on a gun shot but could be a disaster on a bow shot. And those shoulders are not as easy to poke through with a broadhead as they can be with a  deer.   An animal that can run 30 miles an hour and takes a long time to bleed through the thick fur can mean they are long out of sight before the first drop hits the ground. 

Rough math. 30 miles an hour is about 40 feet per second. just 20 seconds for bleed through could be in the 800' range. 

Great info, THANK YOU.

I really do not think I would chance it with a bow.  However, I am at 48 ish pounds, using Striker G5 broadheads, i believe thats what they are called, definitely G5 though.  Cant remember the weight of the arrow its 400 or 500s. 

28 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I can get you the info for the place I always went. Its changed hands but my friend just got back and had a great trip. Gogama Lodge, just north of Barrie. The fishing is fantastic and you can take float plane to remote lakes which is an awesome experience

It's worth taking a peak, thank you.

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

weight or spine?

I really don't know, to be honest, I will check and get back to you.  I worked with a local bow shop, who set me up, as I am not at all knowledgeable with the techs/specs of bow equipment.