Shot placement of bear.

Bionic

I have seen a lot of debated topics when Google searched in the past about shot placements on black bear.  I have heard to aim as if it were a deer, and also the "middle of the middle".  From my readings online, it is something that is so back, and forth, that I dont know what to do if the opportunity arises.   

Also, is one shot placement, better for the bow, versus a rifle?  where you have that shockwave from a bullet....

I ask here, in hopes of hearing direct from those who HAVE shot a bear, and to hear the outcome.   Even if you shot, and never recovered the bear.

Honestly, I would shoot as if it were a deer, but a few inches back, I feel.  From what I read the middle of the middle needs to be a very accurate shot.  I don't take risks with a living thing, so I want to ask....

Thanks 

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’ve killed three, behind the front shoulder and they don’t go out of sight. I hit one back in the liver and that got interesting but I got him with a second shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you. 

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I was told, midway up body and midway from snout to butt.  Seems to put it back a bit more than Deer but I certainly will defer to those like Tacks that have killed em.  Frankly I like the idea of shooting same as a deer.  Much easier.  

Sounds like the middle of the middle from your description? 

• Like 2

Just now, moog5050 said:

That’s what guide told me.  But it’s much easier to put it behind shoulder where I aim on Deer if that works.  

In my mind, I would prefer to aim as if the bear, was a deer, ut is sounding as if either is acceptable.   

Just now, Bionic said:

In my mind, I would prefer to aim as if the bear, was a deer, ut is sounding as if either is acceptable.   

I think the big thing is not to shoot forward.  Behind shoulder or error slightly back.  Then again I have only seen and killed one in my dreams.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I think the big thing is not to shoot forward.  Behind shoulder or error slightly back.  Then again I have only seen and killed one in my dreams.  

Thanks Moog.  I have quite a few here, see a lot during the off season,  but I know it is a matter of time before I see one while in the stand.  I am keeping hopeful.   I want bear burgers, and will do a full mount walking on the floor of my living room.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pav2704 said:

During my last bear hunt in Maine my guide said to aim for the middle of the middle.  Kind of what moog said.  

Where did you hunt in Maine? Just being nosey, it is my favorite place so far, on earth.  And thank you 

12 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I only saw one bear in my life while hunting in the catskills  it took me  by surprise   was not expecting to see one I thought it  was a lost  black dog at first Lol till I looked  a little harder .

I am just south at the tips of the Catskills.  Lots of bears in the region.  Saw some cubs before,  what a privilege to see.

Just now, Bionic said:

I am just south at the tips of the Catskills.  Lots of bears in the region.  Saw some cubs before,  what a privilege to see.

Yea really this was right on the edge of the park about 15 years ago . I dont hunt that area anymore but I heard numbers  are up since that time . 

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Yea really this was right on the edge of the park about 15 years ago . I dont hunt that area anymore but I heard numbers  are up since that time . 

A couple years ago, I lost track at 23 sightings of bear on my 37 mile commute to work.  Love it here.

• Like 2

I have never seen one (for sure) when hunting.  I will be after one up in the Adirondacks this Friday with my crossbow, and Saturday and Sunday with my Muzzleloader.   I will aim for the "middle of the middle" with either weapon if an opportunity occurs.   Hopefully, I can let you know how that works out on Sunday when I return to "civilization".   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I have never seen one (for sure) when hunting.  I will be after one up in the Adirondacks this Friday with my crossbow, and Saturday and Sunday with my Muzzleloader.   I will aim for the "middle of the middle" with either weapon if an opportunity occurs.   Hopefully, I can let you know how that works out on Sunday when I return to "civilization".   

Out of likes, but good luck, either way, let me know.  

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Nice which side of the park 

best advice i can give killing one and tracking 2 others one recovered other was not is wait..wait longer than you would a deer no matter where you hit it.. they have a lot more blood and can take a while to soak theu the fur to even leave a blood trail. 1 hr min 2 hour min would be better.. the one not recovered was simply looking to soon and jumping it had i waited longer it would of been dead in bed i kicked it out of

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

best advice i can give killing one and tracking 2 others one recovered other was not is wait..wait longer than you would a deer no matter where you hit it.. they have a lot more blood and can take a while to soak theu the fur to even leave a blood trail. 1 hr min 2 hour min would be better.. the one not recovered was simply looking to soon and jumping it had i waited longer it would of been dead in bed i kicked it out of

I hear you, the thick fur soaks up the blood, thud keeping it from dripping on the ground...

Where would you aim though?