Bionic's 3 handed adventures.

Bionic

I figured I might try this. 

Late start to the year,  but my dad came up yesterday,  and we set up 2 ladders stands.  I bought two used cheapy stands from a family friend, who is moving to Florida,  abd is unloading as much as he can.  I bought a 20' ladder stand, and a 15' for $45. I could not pass it up.  I finally have some variety, and choices, as far as where to sit.  I own 5 acres, in front of 68 ish acres that I have sole permission to hunt.  I am feeling pretty good, and I have finally setup these 2 stands within pretty good cover.

20181008_095642.jpg

20181008_095155.jpg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Looks like some good setups.  All I hunt from are ladder stands for bow.  I do prefer ones with the rail though. Good luck, hope they produce for you.  

Thanks Rob, mich appreciated. 

I do too prefer a rail, not a fan of these cheapies with the square tube ladders, I like the D shape style.  Also, like the 1.5 or 2 person setups.  I will be adding some 2x4's as a rail,  on my sides, for added security.   I have a safety harness on the way too.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Nothing wrong with a good deal, and one can never have enough stands . get yourself a climber soon,  you’ll love it. 

I have had a climber since as lomg as I can remember,  probably 15 yrs I would say.  It has seen better days,  and is to the point of being dangerous,  it has freeze damage, etc, lol.  I have retired it.  I bought my dad a Summit Viper 2 yrs ago for his birthday,  and he LOVES it.  I used it for the first time yesterday to ratchet strap that 20 footer to the tree.  That stand is a big deep for me, I wonder how the mini viper is.  I prefer ladder stands, but do like the versatility of a climber,  and being able to move around and be choosy with it.  

I have my eye on the Summit Razor.  It has the gun rail, where you sit on to climb,  it can be adjusted to lower itself, out of your way.

I just like the ladders stands since they are so easy to enter/exit. 

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

Stands look good man. I always try to hide with some sort of back drop to cover my outline. Looks like that one stand is in some young hemlock....perfect

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks TreeGuy.  I have never put much thought into stand placement other than for the thought of "oh, I see lots of deer scat, and I can shoot in many directions".  This time, I listened to what I read on here, and tried to setup with good cover, and to not be skylined.  The first pic with me in the stand, I am very concealed,  the pic makes it look otherwise,  but I am very concealed.   I have a very good feeling about it.

I have one, or 2 days of worth left on my home restoration,  and I will finally be hunting as much as possible 

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

everything has a pattern , some habitat manipulation and you have your own little hot spot

I do not see any repetitious movements here on my cameras ever.  I am not looking to put in plots here, not my thing.  However, I am not a good hunter, first to admit it, but I rather sit, and be patient, even if it take me years between good bucks, I feel amazing when I do connect, and it means the world to me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bionic said:

I do not see any repetitious movements here on my cameras ever.  I am not looking to put in plots here, not my thing.  However, I am not a good hunter, first to admit it, but I rather sit, and be patient, even if it take me years between good bucks, I feel amazing when I do connect, and it means the world to me.

You have the two best tools for being a great hunter.  Patience. Determination. 

New stand setups look great!

Best of luck to ya sir!

27 minutes ago, Bionic said:

plots arent nessary. but dropping a tree, blocking a trail. hingecutting all are easy . even something as simple as tying a few strands of a fence to make a low spot makes places easier and better with minimal.effort. there is a circut movement may repeat 2 or 4 days or even 10 days apart . the bear my nephew took came thru every 10 days or so  north to south but returned south to north every 2 to 4 days.. got pics of it on wed night thursday early am and he got it sat am.. not a hard pattern but its there.. same stand he was in has yeilded sighings every year with shot oppertunity every 2.. i hit a bear 2 years ago on halloween with archery same stand .two years previous i killed bear within 50 yards of same stand .. long term pattern...

8 hours ago, G-Man said:

plots arent nessary. but dropping a tree, blocking a trail. hingecutting all are easy . even something as simple as tying a few strands of a fence to make a low spot makes places easier and better with minimal.effort. there is a circut movement may repeat 2 or 4 days or even 10 days apart . the bear my nephew took came thru every 10 days or so  north to south but returned south to north every 2 to 4 days.. got pics of it on wed night thursday early am and he got it sat am.. not a hard pattern but its there.. same stand he was in has yeilded sighings every year with shot oppertunity every 2.. i hit a bear 2 years ago on halloween with archery same stand .two years previous i killed bear within 50 yards of same stand .. long term pattern...

That is good info, this is where i need to let cams soak lomger than 2-3 weeks at a clip.  I should start jotting down times/dates on a paper, as I watch my videos.  Everything just seems so sporadic here, like I said I am not a great hunter as far as scouting, and other prep tactics go, but as far as patience,  and seat time, I am great with.  

I did have a bad blizzard here in March, about 3ft of heavy wet snow fell, and laid over acres of the small 3" and smaller diameter pines.  It was so think from it back here, that it was practically not huntable, as is as far as shooting goes.  I cleared all the pines out that fell on my property up to the line where I have the permission to hunt out back.  This is where my that tall stand is.  That area I hope is now a path of least resistance.  

Thanks Gman, that was good info.  

8 hours ago, grampy said:

You have the two best tools for being a great hunter.  Patience. Determination. 

New stand setups look great!

Best of luck to ya sir!

Thanks Grampy, really trying to make a difference this year.  Good luck to you as well!

5 minutes ago, Bionic said:

That is good info, this is where i need to let cams soak lomger than 2-3 weeks at a clip.  I should start jotting down times/dates on a paper, as I watch my videos.  Everything just seems so sporadic here, like I said I am not a great hunter as far as scouting, and other prep tactics go, but as far as patience,  and seat time, I am great with.  

I did have a bad blizzard here in March, about 3ft of heavy wet snow fell, and laid over acres of the small 3" and smaller diameter pines.  It was so think from it back here, that it was practically not huntable, as is as far as shooting goes.  I cleared all the pines out that fell on my property up to the line where I have the permission to hunt out back.  This is where my that tall stand is.  That area I hope is now a path of least resistance.  

Thanks Gman, that was good info.  

i enjoy the scouting and prep more than hunting the older i get. most fun i had was seeing my nephew enjoy his day out of the rain under a roof i just installed  and getting a bear because he was able to stay comfortable and dry.. now if turkeyfeathers would just kill his 1st with bow my season would be complete..

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, G-Man said:

i enjoy the scouting and prep more than hunting the older i get. most fun i had was seeing my nephew enjoy his day out of the rain under a roof i just installed  and getting a bear because he was able to stay comfortable and dry.. now if turkeyfeathers would just kill his 1st with bow my season would be complete..

I can see that, my dad always has, and always wants me to see, and have the opportunity at the bigger bucks, or see that big old bear roam through.  Besides, it seems as if you have been successful many many times.  I am with you on that, I am routing for TurkeyFeathers too.  Looking forward to hear his enthusiasm when his first bow deer comes, I remember how excited I was.  

Congrats to your nephew by the way.

Edited by Bionic

On 10/8/2018 at 10:17 PM, Bionic said:

I do not see any repetitious movements here on my cameras ever. 

You just need to follow the sign. This means you will be moving stands every year to wherever the rub lines and scrapes are. Movement patterns change year to year in the woods I find. If you have natural pinch points, obvious creek crossing points etc, you could keep a semi permanent set-up near those. I have one such stand. All the others get moved regularly 

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1