Bionic's 3 handed adventures.

Bionic

• 2 weeks later...

Started on a new shooter shack today.  My dad, Jenn, and I all worked together to set this up.  I am loving the result this far, and it will only get better.  The outer dimensions of the box is 4’ x 6’ which I feel will be pretty good for me, and for the occasional sit with Jenn.  The floor is 12.5’ off the ground, and we are siding  the box with rough cut board & batten pine.  The roof will be tin, with a 6” pitch across. We will add bracing to the other two sides tomorrow, and finish the framing.  Siding will be cut next weekend, etc.  We have to take off the rear board that holds the future trusses, because we let it slip our minds to allow for an overhang for the sides.  We will replace that tomorrow.  The one floor joist you see that is lower than the floor, is timber bolted through the brackets, so it helps add strength from bracket to bracket.  We used 2x8 for the border of the floor, and 2x6 for floor joist.    The prior mentioned support is a 2x4.

AB0D3DF6-CDD7-4208-A367-044641813205.jpeg

0241BFD9-4CCD-46C0-9E0D-1F7C08682EA7.jpeg

088C75CE-769C-4E30-B84F-A1D164AF3F9B.jpeg

7078A6B1-4C1B-47DD-BE7B-BE4B6504CD21.jpeg

7EED87C0-7C49-4181-AC42-EE07EC8B5EE7.jpeg

6DE7219D-A569-43C7-9CE7-1DA7952E7FBD.jpeg

B178104C-8A9D-4856-9FAF-0D514BAC6A57.jpeg

714A8F02-06DE-412E-B1F4-59855FA40C2F.jpeg

4B8FC822-7523-41CB-A8B8-E942F09084D7.jpeg

91D8B713-DCCA-4A2B-A00F-688F7C6B41F1.jpeg

BC6B6BE7-FB4D-4029-A7CC-09B25D3BAB71.jpeg

0C2887FB-2776-441B-9193-36D89E1B9EA7.jpeg

B11210D1-687D-4762-A90A-2C1611536B2B.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Looks awesome. When do I drop my chair off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! But...Oh you don’t want to hunt here, lol.  I do need a chair though, and I am currently looking into them online, haha.

Thanks! But...Oh you don’t want to hunt here, lol.  I do need a chair though, and I am currently looking into them online, haha.

I wish I could remember the ones I bought. But they are 360 swivel with no armrests so good for bow hunting. But if you’re going with xbow / gun, maybe you want arm rests?

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The shack looks great.  Those cold days you'll be loving it.  Is Jenn gonna go out too?  She will def like that better. 

Thanks Rob, that was the idea behind all this.  I spend a boat load of hours like you do, out waiting for an opportunity to harvest.  This has been on my mind the last 2 seasons, and never really think about it until I’m frozen in mid-November, thought popped into my mind last weekend, so we jumped on it.  Yes, Jenn will definitely be going, not everyday, but more often, she gets colds very easily, so this will be great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

Thanks Rob, that was the idea behind all this.  I spend a boat load of hours like you do, out waiting for an opportunity to harvest.  This has been on my mind the last 2 seasons, and never really think about it until I’m frozen in mid-November, thought popped into my mind last weekend, so we jumped on it.  Yes, Jenn will definitely be going, not everyday, but more often, she gets colds very easily, so this will be great.

That's awesome. She will bring you some lady luck too.  Great project! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's awesome. She will bring you some lady luck too.  Great project! 

I hope so, definitely need it, lol.  Also, by being enclosed, I hope to see more big legal bucks in this AR zone, since our scent is encapsulated.  I always refer to this area as a mini-big woods, since the area is heavily forested, not a ton of homes for the size of the chunks of woods here.    I wonder if the older deer are less tolerant to odd scents, like human scent, in this type of environment, rather than hunting near more populated areas by neighborhoods, since human scent is that much less common.  I don’t know really, just trying to look at all ends.  Can’t hurt....

Looks great! On tip buy at least one chair that’s adjustable height. If different shooters are going to use the stand. The adjustment will let different height shooters be at the perfect height which makes for better accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Looks great! On tip buy at least one chair that’s adjustable height. If different shooters are going to use the stand. The adjustment will let different height shooters be at the perfect height which makes for better accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir!

• Like 1

Made more progress today.  A lot of tedious odds n ends today like front window, finished the other braces, etc.  We framed in the front window, for a dual slider plexiglass window.  Ran 2x3 through the table saw so the plexiglass sits inside a channel.  We cut a channel deeper up top incase we need to replace a piece of plexiglass in the future.  Coming along amazing in my opinion for a bunch of grass cutting, tree splitting, mechanics. 

Once we complete this, I am going to remove all the blow down saplings, and cut shooting lanes.  This is a hot rutting path this tower overlooks.

9FFFCC8C-00C1-4CFC-84FB-7130809026B1.jpeg

8287C1F6-D1A9-459B-92C7-A9FBBC038671.jpeg

E54A1FC6-6B99-4B58-A2E9-9685EF801D37.jpeg

B6970BF1-5A4B-43E3-9E62-B31A9E7F65FA.jpeg

A8BAFD53-A339-45E8-803A-57C1B483E379.jpeg

00A99688-C851-4534-946E-F33094B8527C.jpeg

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How long have you thought about this spot for this project? My concern everytime I think about a permanent stand is that something changes in a year or two lol

About 4 days...lol.  Its on my property, I know monster bucks rut through there, and I shot my best buck to date there.  It’s a great spot, can see in all directions, i feel great about it.  So much land here, that you cannot pattern animals here, so if you can see/shoot long distance, it’s simply a waiting game.  

• Like 1

Looks like a great spot! How're you planning on getting the roof on? Just a thought on the chair (assuming you're still looking) - an old office chair works great. swivels and has the adjustable seat. I found one on Craigslist for free. It's comfy, quiet, and can't beat the price. 

2 hours ago, Bolt action said:

Looks like a great spot! How're you planning on getting the roof on? Just a thought on the chair (assuming you're still looking) - an old office chair works great. swivels and has the adjustable seat. I found one on Craigslist for free. It's comfy, quiet, and can't beat the price. 

I hope it produces this year! We plan to use a longer extension ladder I have here, and ropes, etc to put the roof boards, and tin up.  Going to be scary as hell but we’ll get it somehow, as safe as we can.  Great idea as for a chair, thank you.