Bionic's 3 handed adventures.

Bionic

You keep saying your not a great hunter.... Think of it this way, after your all day sit today, do you think your any better a hunter than you were yesterday ? I'll bet you thought about doing something, like checking the wind, moving the stand, practicing moving slow, preparing in your head for a shot, keeping yourself motivated to stay on stand...etc. All these things may sound stupid but ill bet you did a few and more, and that's what makes you a better hunter than yesterday.

Listen to the woods, pay attention to the details, and soon enough you won't be able to tell us your not a good hunter. Your motivated, fantastic quality found in all "great hunters".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

You keep saying your not a great hunter.... Think of it this way, after your all day sit today, do you think your any better a hunter than you were yesterday ? I'll bet you thought about doing something, like checking the wind, moving the stand, practicing moving slow, preparing in your head for a shot, keeping yourself motivated to stay on stand...etc. All these things may sound stupid but ill bet you did a few and more, and that's what makes you a better hunter than yesterday.

Listen to the woods, pay attention to the details, and soon enough you won't be able to tell us your not a good hunter. Your motivated, fantastic quality found in all "great hunters".

I want to reply to each idea you mention,  but do not want to sound as if I have given up, because I most definitely have not, and wont quit trying.  Speaking of wind, I have truly checked wind often last year, since I never bothered to, due to not having many choices due to only having 1 tree stand here at that time.  It always seemed as if the winds changed direction several times within say an hour or so, when forecasts predicted a certain direction only.  Just seems to constantly be a shifting wind where I hunt.  I stopped paying attention for that reason, but this year, I have 2 stands up, and will put my 3rd up very very soon, and I would like to try paying attention to wind again.  As far as moving slowly, I do take a few steps, and stop, few steps...stop, and gentle steps.  However, this stand I sat in today, is only about 100 yards behind my house, my house is also 300ft off the road, and each neighbor is hundreds of feet away, all dense woods.  I chose this spot because in years past I have seen some nice bucks, but as always mentioned, they are soooo rare.  The opening day of regular season in 2014, my dad killed a decent 7 pointer in the morning, and that is within 50 yards or so of this stand site.  As we were in my yard talking, after dragging his deer to his truck, a real nice 8 pointer with pale colored antlers was walking through my backyard, within a stones throw of us, it was so exciting.  Anyways, we both went back to our stands, and 2 hrs later I shot a big 7 point that dressed at 175.  Point is, both these deer killed within yelling distance of the spot I sit in now.  I was sort of justifying why it is so close to my house.  We have never had such an experience hunting,  where we were both successful on the same day.  I also am concerned with going deeper in the woods, but I do, I have a stand about 1500' back roughly.  The land is a long rectangle.....where this old dried up pond is so I really only have a small window to access this long chunk of land.  It is difficult to explain.  Point is, I always feel like I am so exposed trying to access the stand way out back, that I worry I blew the area out long before I reach my other stand site...i should draw up a pic showing the geography of the land.  Basically, I walk along a slight hill, then it drops down steep maybe 25' then the land is perfectly flat for about 150 yards to a rise of about 25' after crossing a 6' wide creek.  I have a stand dead center of this flat area, behind me by about 100 or 125 yards is that dried up pond, and I feel it could funnel deer around that, dumping them in my vicinty....ahead of the stand in the direction I face, is a spot a couple years ago, I saw a couple 2 rubs in a line, and over a weeks period, had 4 or 5 bucks on camera, in the morning.  They all headed in the same exact path, with was headed away from the creek side, and to a house that has about a dozen or so apple trees.  They head straight to that house.  It was only that weeks time though, never another rub near, and never pictured on cam again.  Hopefully this painted a bit of a picture, sort of just thought out loud for you.

Thanks Treeguy

Also, for the past few years I have finally been washing clothes in scent free detergent,  a d keeping them stored in a clear regular plastic bag, to keep as scent free as I can.  Funny, but never bothered before a few years ago.  Once I got my big deer, I have a total different mindset. 

Edited by Bionic

My girlfriend, and I just came back from the pizzeria.  Well 2 houses up...which is roughly a thousand feet up the road was a big 8 pointer! He had a body that reminded me of my big deer I got here in 2014, which was weighed in at 175 lbs dressed.  This deee had a nice symmetrical rack, with what appeared to be 4 or 5 inch tines.  The body on that deer did not jiggle AT ALL.  He was headed from my side of the road, but as we approach in our vehicle he went back the way he came.  Behind these 2 homes, is where i have sole permission.   I needed to see that tonight, definitely boosted my hopes.  I never give up regardless until seasons over though.  Had to share with you guys.

• Like 2

Just now, Steuben Jerry said:

Sounds like you've got a nice slice of deer woods there, even if the action can run cold at times. Now that you've got three stands up, you can play the "which stand is right" game that I do all the time. Hope you get out tomorrow and whack that buck that you saw tonight!

I appreciate that, and I will definitely be out.  I will look at the wind etc, and try to make the best choice.  I can only base it on where I assume the deer are though.   Trail cams never really give me any consistency.   I might buy a couple cameras tonight, even though its late.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Nice Bionic.  Good luck!

Thanks Moog! Just wanted to share my excitement.  Even on my 37 miles commute through the woods dsily, I have not seen many bucks.  This particular deer was honestly the largest I have seen this year.  

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

Thanks Moog! Just wanted to share my excitement.  Even on my 37 miles commute through the woods dsily, I have not seen many bucks.  This particular deer was honestly the largest I have seen this year.  

That will keep you in the stand.  Only takes one opportunity 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I would assume at this time of year he's fairly local and not out wandering. Stay after em and u may just get the chance !

That is what I am hoping, i had a cam in the area he came from, and headed back too.  I have a card to swap when I get out of my stand next to that cam.  I will do my best!

• Like 2

Friday I ordered a Mission MXB 400 crossbow.  I cannot wait for it to come in.  The bow shop, and I will figure out a way for me to pull it back.  The dealer really dislikes the Mission RSD crank, but I may just buy it, I cant imagine it is that bad, once you get used to it.  I dont wear my prosthetic arm while rifle hunting, and do not plan to wear it for crossbow hunting either.  I think I can pull it back easily with a custom strap for my left arm to compensate the length differences in my arms.  

I also bought two more trail cameras, so I set them up today as well.  4 behind my house now.  

Friday I head up to thr Adirondacks to our cabin, to hunt with my dad.  

• Like 7

The deer I have been chasing for 2 seasons is ALIVE! I had eyes on him twice last bow season, and once was at full draw, a waiting a few steps.  He had his eyes locked on me, my arms were burning like no other! He was watching ne, but did not spook, hes big, and must have known something was not right, but coukdnt place it.  He ended up turning around, and walking away.  I then saw him the second time, behind me 4 days later, out of range for me.  I nick named him Brutus, because he shears off saplings, just snaps them.  I have never seen this before, so it is incredible for me.  Anyways, he popped up on camera at 9:21am this morning! And I swapped cards at 10:38am....so happy he made it.  I feel like his rack is smaller this year, but the video wasnt of the clearest view.   I have a pic of him on cam from a couple years ago...video from him I took by phone in the stand when he was out of range, and now of today.  This feels like a tv show, i love it!

Here he is from a few years ago, pretty sure same deer.  The color pic was last year, he looks a lot closer then it appears, plus I am only confident out to 20 yards with my bow.  Tough keeping the bow steady for long...

Screenshot_20171122-154129.png

20181025_212322.png

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

Ok, so this deer, LAST SEASON came through in the evening on November 3rd, and November 7th.....5:15pm and just after 4pm.  Never saw him again, and not on camera.  

Fast forward to today, I had that trail can uo for about 3 weeks.  He did not show on cam until this morning at 9:20am....headed toward my stand.  Is there anything that suggests the buck would be walking through in the timeframe, and direction tomorrow morning, as he did this morning? Or is it more likely it maybe a few days like last season? 

Also, the direction he came FROM, I scouted LAST year when season ended.  A pond runs parallel to the path hes walking on the ridetop top(only about 15-20ft elevation rise).  Anyways, i found a rub line, and eventually what appeared as a bed, with hair, and a few big rubs right at the bed.  This is on another gentle rise that allows him to overlook the area.  Well each time I saw him, and in this trail cam pic of today, he is always headed from that spot, but I am setup about 500 feet away.  I have permission for the entire area.  

Any input on this, I have been dreaming of this this deer practically. 

Ok, so this deer, LAST SEASON came through in the evening on November 3rd, and November 7th.....5:15pm and just after 4pm.  Never saw him again, and not on camera.  
Fast forward to today, I had that trail can uo for about 3 weeks.  He did not show on cam until this morning at 9:20am....headed toward my stand.  Is there anything that suggests the buck would be walking through in the timeframe, and direction tomorrow morning, as he did this morning? Or is it more likely it maybe a few days like last season? 
Also, the direction he came FROM, I scouted LAST year when season ended.  A pond runs parallel to the path hes walking on the ridetop top(only about 15-20ft elevation rise).  Anyways, i found a rub line, and eventually what appeared as a bed, with hair, and a few big rubs right at the bed.  This is on another gentle rise that allows him to overlook the area.  Well each time I saw him, and in this trail cam pic of today, he is always headed from that spot, but I am setup about 500 feet away.  I have permission for the entire area.  
I would suggest hunting closest stand to the camera you saw him on recently and as long as you can. While deer patterns vary at this time of year, i have had success with using the most recent info. To determine sramd location and even if not in range, you may be able to grunt him in.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cdbing said:

I would suggest hunting closest stand to the camera you saw him on recently and as long as you can. While deer patterns vary at this time of year, i have had success with using the most recent info. To determine sramd location and even if not in range, you may be able to grunt him in.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thank you.

In today's trail cam pic, he was headed right to my stand that is about 250ft away. Its about 30ft in from that small "ridgetop" he pretty much has to stay on the top of that hill.  I am going to hunt it in the morning.  Thanks again.

I will report back with how it went, hopefully in the harvest thread!

15 hours ago, Bionic said:

I have been chasing one the last two years as well but haven't got a pic of him this year.  I would say your in the right area.  But only hunt it with the right wind and be careful of your scent. Maybe pick a day when you can get in quiet.  He's big and old cause he's smart.  Your in his area definitely, just right time hasn't happened. 

Maybe an all day sit in the rut esp if you usually have a lot of does. 

• Thanks 1