ny bear attack

G-Man

That is a bumme

From the Adirondacks down to the Catskills, human-bear interactions and nuisance complaints involving bears are up compared to last year. The reason? 

It's been a dry summer so far, with blueberries, raspberries, black berries and other things consumed by bears in the wild in shorter supply so far. As a result, bears are more likely to seek food from human sources and are appearing more frequently at campsites, or around homes raiding bird feeders, garbage cans, pet food dishes left outside, etc. seems like they have been talking about increased bear call all summer to the drought.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2018/07/upstate_ny_black_bear_nuisance_complaints_rising_due_to_drought_dry_conditions.html

528bb31f875bef27a32f5814284e1090.jpg527176a4a1b6369357669d5a58d9e88b.jpg. We have them in every field this year. 4 have been taken so far this fall. Pistol goes for a walk anytime I am in the woods. How stupid to have a law that says you can carry during bear but not deer season. Like the best cares what season is open. Rather take a chance on a ticket then a pissed of bruin I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i hunted up here in Indian lake for bears and never saw a thing.  But this gal hiking up there sure did.  Shes tough!  https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Three-bears-and-one-tough-hiker-4847473.php#photo-5242034

She was recommended to have a rabies shot simply because she got bear blood on her. Is this something bear hunters do as a matter of course??

Got tons of bears on cam this year.. And the 2 color phase bears keep showing up! I went for walk yesterday, and forgot to bring my piece with me.. that is all i could think of not having it on me.. Getting bear pics every couple days it seems. On almost every cam.. 

39 minutes ago, Papist said:

Interesting article, and seems to rebut the common assumption (that I always held) that the most dangerous black bear is a mother protecting her cub(s).  

Still, it doesn't say anything about the comparative likelihood or instance of brown vs black bear attacks.  ?

Edited by jmark

11 minutes ago, jmark said:

Interesting article, and seems to rebut the common assumption (that I always held) that the most dangerous black bear is a mother protecting her cub(s).  

Still, it doesn't say anything about the comparative likelihood or instance of brown vs black bear attacks.  ?

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/MAP-Fatal-Bear-Attacks-in-North-America-432734333.html

3 minutes ago, Papist said:

OK, yeah, that article says, of bear attacks in the 2000's - 

"Of the 46 total fatal incidents, black bears perpetrated 25 of the attacks, while brown bears perpetrated 21 of them."

That seems to me a close call and hard to make generalizations.  I do take your point, apparently black bear fatal attacks are more common than I thought.  

Interesting comment on wikipedia:

The number of black bear attacks on humans is higher than those of brown bears, though this is largely because the black species outnumbers the brown rather than their being more aggressive. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_attack

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Salmon_Run said:

The incident was investigated by ENCON and no bear was involved....

Alcohol most likely- a rogue black bear....NOPE  :negative: 

Said on the news this morning the guy wrecked his atv . Why lie ? I don’t get it.must be he was a democrat ... 

• Like 2

More around every single year.  Buddy who owns the property next to mine had 5 different bears on his cameras last year.

In one of the overgrown fields I hunt, there are acres of striped maple that are about 8 to 15 feet tall.  I've noticed bears have been ripping the top off some of them, at around 6 feet up.  Is that a territorial marking thing?

48706.jpeg

3 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

More around every single year.  Buddy who owns the property next to mine had 5 different bears on his cameras last year.

In one of the overgrown fields I hunt, there are acres of striped maple that are about 8 to 15 feet tall.  I've noticed bears have been ripping the top off some of them, at around 6 feet up.  Is that a territorial marking thing?

48706.jpeg

My son and I would be happy to drive over from Greenville and try to reduce the bear population there, if ya like.  He's dying to get a bear, now that he got his first deer (this past weekend).  :)