So whats the best shot youve ever made?

Robhuntandfish

Probably one of my favorites was Mr. 505. As his name would suggest he was taken at 505 yards through his heart. It was quite a poke and my furthest shot to date. Shot near Sheridan, Wyoming with my .300 weatherby using 180 grain Barnes TSX handloads

FB_IMG_1521668268818.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

This goes back probably almost 10yrs ago. It’s gun season and my brothers hunting maybe 100yrds away over a hill on one side and I’m over on the other side (in mature woods) both in stands. He shoots a doe and he quickly radios it’s coming my way. I see it coming but I have no clear shot, now it’s past me running towards a field and now i have a better shot. It’s running directly away from me and hits the field edge and angles to the left just enough and I squeezed the 12ga trigger with iron sights and she dropped like a ton of bricks. Shot was about 70 yrds right thru the cage.

19 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Probably one of my favorites was Mr. 505. As his name would suggest he was taken at 505 yards through his heart. It was quite a poke and my furthest shot to date. Shot near Sheridan, Wyoming with my .300 weatherby using 180 grain Barnes TSX handloads

FB_IMG_1521668268818.jpeg

That's a poke for sure.  Nice!

• Like 1

That's a poke for sure.  Nice!
The day before I smoked a bedded mule deer from 324. His name is Dies Downwind for obvious reasons...he was downwind from me and he definitely knew I was there he just never saw me belly crawl up to the lip of the crest where I shot him from. I think for that one if I got any lower to the ground I'd have been in China

• Like 5

The one that sticks out for me was on a goose hunt a few years back. I was sitting in cattails on the edge of a pond. A flock of geese took off and flew toward me. As they were approaching I lined one up and took the shot. One of them folded up and sailed right toward me. Literally hit the ground about 2 feet from my seat. That was fortunate for me because I realized after the fact that I didn't have a way to get it out of the water if it fell in the pond.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, airedale said:

I have had a few memorable shots but a hunt and shots taken that still stands out today in my mind after many years have past. As a young fellow I was on a general small game hunt along with a friend. We were pushing through an Alder thicket-swamp to see what we could jump out, my gun that day was a Mossberg three shot 16 Ga bolt action that had a poly type adjustable choke on the end of the barrel. Three Woodcock flushed one after another and I dumped all three.

Al

i bet i could have missed them all!! 

nice shooting thats awesone

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I was standing along  a beaver pond waiting for some duck action....

Three mallards, two drakes and a hen, came gliding in broadside from my right...I dropped a drake, and the remaining two birds flared, the drake  turning 180 degrees and the hen continuing straight ahead...I  reversed my swing, killed the second drake, and then reversed again and shot the hen before she got out of range, so I made a LEFT,  a RIGHT and another LEFT  in a matter of 3-4 seconds...All 3 birds hit the water stone dead... A few minutes later a drake Woodie came by and I dumped him with one shot...

I was feeling pretty darn cocky until a flight of teal made two passes over me....I emptied my gun  both times and never turned a feather !!…..Hehehe...

thats some fine shooting !  always impressed by wing shooters!  Im not bad on a deer, thank goodness they dont have wings though!

• Like 2

Opening day of archery I had a buck coming towards my corn pile and I knew he was old because his long nose and gray face. He was about 90 yards out and turned offering me a shot at his ass. Knowing my crossbow was more than capable I squeezed one off. Good day for sure. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Opening day of archery I had a buck coming towards my corn pile and I knew he was old because his long nose and gray face. He was about 90 yards out and turned offering me a shot at his ass. Knowing my crossbow was more than capable I squeezed one off. Good day for sure. 

Gives a new meaning to "corn holed" I believe

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Waait a second you aren't wolc incognito are you?

• Like 1

I did not want to brag here, but since TF just brought it up I will:

To me a good shot is (in order of importance):

1) Safe (does not put people, or other unintended targets at risk) 2) Kills the animal with minimal suffering and minimal tracking 3) Taken at a point which allows a maximum room for error, based on the shot angle 4) Strikes close to the point of aim 5) Destroys little edible meat 6) Allows for a "clean" gutting job 7) Allows for an "easy" recovery.

The best I ever did was on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2016 with a "Texas Heart Shot" on a 1-1/2 year old Adirondack 6-point.   That would have been a "perfect" shot, were it not for a couple of glitches on #5 (the top of the heart was bloodied and had to be trimmed away and a neck roast was destroyed by the expanding bullet on its way out).

The bullet struck within 1/64" of the point of aim from 50 yards, from a good rest, using a 150 gr Federal Classic 30/06 bullet.   Had it been any farther than that, the "but-out" would not have worked as advertised.  Also, there was no bruising on the tenderloins and the guts came out as clean as a whistle.    

When I pulled the trigger, I fully expected to loose considerable meat and/or have a messy gutting job, and I was pleasantly surprised when nether occurred.  2 or 3 others on this site have claimed to have killed animals with that shot but none so cleanly.   My boss at work had asked for some venison, just before my trip, it was late in the season, and a paper tag does not provide much nurishment.  That is why I risked some mess and meat.   I estimated that my odds of a recoverable kill was about 97 %, given the 1 foot diameter kill zone at that angle, with my rifle that always holds a 3/4" group at 100 yards.  Anyone who says that is "unethical" needs their own head examined.    

I will not take any of the credit for that shot, but give all of it to my Lord and Savior (who quite regularly blesses me with good shots), Jesus Christ- The Guy who determines the fate of all living things.

Edited by wolc123

Never had any truly impressive shots like heart at 40 in pouring rain. On the contrary I've had some bad shots when they were actually not difficult :( 

Best shot ever was around 30 yards xbow and it was good because it was the only deer I've ever hit that actually went down within sight. Normally even when they don't run far they make it into thick brush, but this one last year didn't make it far at all, so I had instantaneous feedback that it was proper and terminal.

• Like 1

hunting is hard to say. back in highschool i took a pair of 2 young (small) coyotes on the run at a paced off 250 yards, with 1 shot each with my dad's Remington 7600 pump. another had a buck on a dead run through the timber took 2 shots to put it down but both were perfect and less than 2" apart.

for hunting related by target shooting, last target shooting for a 3D championship was a mountain goat down a steep ridge at about 80 yards through the tree limb filled canopy and i pin wheeled it on the 10 ring. another was a guys outing shooting sporting clays.  i was offered someone else's shotgun to try, while everyone else looked on. it had just one shell and i was offered the chance to load it up with more in case i missed. like an ass i said "nah. we're good. i only need one". well i said pull, powdered the bird, and every guy there got fired up and shouted like crazy.

• Like 1