Steaks

A roast

Inner loins

Backstraps

I think that's a fair price

No ticks at my house ...lol

2817a56af33328ff29cd189241a6e284.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

No ticks but are you sure that’s your deer??

• Like 5

No ticks but are you sure that’s your deer??
Yes...he has only processed 4 so far .. .too warm I guess
Mine was only one last weekend ...hung til tuesday am....cut it up Tuesday pm...I picked it up after work today....I'm happy

Vacuum sealed too. I think you got a good deal, with what you got.

During these warm temps, you did good to get your deer to a cooler and cut up. We do our own, and are prepared to cut one up from the first hunt.

Yum! Can't wait to get some fresh stuff in the freezer too!

• Like 3

I pay about $5 per deer in vacuum bags, i do them in the garage, immediately skin and tie off that garbage bag, then change out of my permethrin treated clothes into clean ones to butcher. Never had a tic. I do go to a processor from time to time though, $98 is a fair price out the door for what you got. 

• Like 1

In my neck of the woods there's a fairly large packing plant that does several hundred deer a year. Price is ~$80. Don't believe they charge xtra for special cuts, but token $ for seasonings &/or pork added. Obviously, they don't do all the specialty meat sticks, Salamis, hot-dogs, etc.

After using them for a couple years, dropping my deer inside their facility and adding mine to the pile of 20+ deer that were already there - wondered about what am I getting back?? So I asked and got a tour. Each meat cutter does one deer at a time and every vac sealed pkg is ID'ed with tag/invoice#. Not sure how they deal with the ground venison for each order? They claim each order is done completely, but have to wonder if they grind each order regardless of size or just wait until there's a ton of meat and dole out your order in a proportional size.

Clearly, processing a deer yourself is the cheaper and ideal way to go, but not everyone has the s/u to do this at home!

9 hours ago, DanielT said:

No ticks at my house ...lol

There shouldn't be a worry about bringing in ticks.   Ticks can be latched on to you or your clothing in fact.  There are plenty of trees in the woods where you can hang a deer from to skin it BEFORE you put it into your vehicle to take home.  Even if you are hunting alone, I think most hunters could manage to pull up a deer at least part of the way to prop it up enough for skinning.  Plenty of videos on youtube showing how it can be done on the ground also.  That's all you need to skin and quarter it up and then put the meat into a cooler or box until you get home to complete the processing and packaging.   And all you need to do that is a kitchen table.  It's not a difficult process and you get a lot of satisfaction doing it all yourself from field to fork!!  For the price of getting two or three deer professionally processed you can instead save the money to buy some nice hunting equipment or whatever else you might need or want.  I know which route I'd prefer.

• Like 2

There shouldn't be a worry about bringing in ticks.   Ticks can be latched on to you or your clothing in fact.  There are plenty of trees in the woods where you can hang a deer from to skin it BEFORE you put it into your vehicle to take home.  Even if you are hunting alone, I think most hunters could manage to pull up a deer at least part of the way to prop it up enough for skinning.  Plenty of videos on youtube showing how it can be done on the ground also.  That's all you need to skin and quarter it up and then put the meat into a cooler or box until you get home to complete the processing and packaging.   And all you need to do that is a kitchen table.  It's not a difficult process and you get a lot of satisfaction doing it all yourself from field to fork!!  For the price of getting two or three deer professionally processed you can instead save the money to buy some nice hunting equipment or whatever else you might need or want.  I know which route I'd prefer.

Cut my own up for 20 years now...but with work and the heat the way it was ....I made the call to have it done....that's why I was just checking price with you guys. .......
When its colder and i can let it hang in my own tree for 3 to 4 days....I will be back to cutting my own

• Like 2

I have always processed my own from deer one but there are times I would prefer to pay a processor.  Ex. was this week.  Killed doe on Sat. morning and butchered immediately but living in the suburbs, the carcass went into my garbage tote in a tarp.  The tote was not picked up until yesterday.  To say it was a bit ripe was an understatement.  After garbage picked up the tote yesterday morning, we put it on the side of my house until I could clean it later.  I get a call from my buddy that cuts the neighbor's lawn.  They called fire dept because they thought there was a natural gas leak from the smell.  He asks if I killed a deer.  Yep.  He says I knew what it was but didn't want to blame you so I kept my mouth shut.  Needless to say, I spent an hour scrubbing the tote yesterday.  Smells fresh now but it would have been nice to have a processor with that heat over the past 4 days. $100 would have been money well spent.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ha ha ha that’s funny , Moog ! Next time get up around 4 AM and put it in a neighbors tote .

I pay $80 and he does a top job, cut wrapped frozen . Plus I look forward to going there each year he’s a great guy , and tons of bucks to see .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3

When I take mine to a processor, he charges $75 or $80/deer and that gets you all the cuts plus some ground in butcher wrap and frozen. He's a 3rd generation butcher and has a commercial setup in his garage. He told me once that they process between 300 and 400 every year. Whether I use him or break it down myself, I then take some over to a sausage guy in Wayne county. He has probably 35 or 40 options that you can choose from. fresh or smoked sausages, pepperoni, slim jims, summer sausage, breakfast sausage, etc. his prices vary by product. He isn't cheap, but worth every penny. I usually spend $300ish on him every year. I've seen guys walk out with orders that were $1,000+.

https://www.costanzasausage.com/venison.htm

• Like 2

I've been processing my own since I was in my 20's. That way I know it's done right and I am consuming meat that I took great care with from shot to freezer.

My buddies have a guy on the NY/NJ border that turns theirs into fantastic breakfast sausage, snack stix , hot dogs and kielbasa. We always share meat back and forth and they are very generous, but if I fill a second tag this year, i think I might have them take it to this guy. I don't know what he charges and I don't care. This organic free range protein that we harvest would be worth a fortune if you could even buy it retail.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Hey now ! Tony’s in Monroe county , my town of Webster actually . I’ve been going to,him since he stared in his garage ,when he lived off Bay rd.

Great guy and products .

I thought he was over the line in Wayne.. Either way a great guy running a good business. He's built a solid reputation around here and for good reason.