NZ Muzzleloading opener

Culvercreek hunt club

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thanks, usually it is a "venison in the freezer" weekend with some does taken and 2 of our bears were shot in ML season opener so there is that hope too. 

Really wish I was going.  Send my best to Zach and Terry and send me photos of what I missed!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Who's headed up and/or out for the Opening weekend? I'll be hitting the woods up in 5H. should be cool but I see rain for Saturday

Im in 5H as well (Remsen) I'll be up there! No bucks on my small property yet but a lot of bear all over 5H from what I've heard and seen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

How'd everyone make out? I saw the bear in the "live" thread. How'd the rest of you guys make any sign of rutting going on?

I decided to bring my muzzleloader next week for the rifle opener.Friday can't get here fast enough.

I covered some miles and the deer sign was a lot less than usual on the property I was on. No scrapes and very few rubs. Areas with trails that use to look like cow paths are not worn in. The bear sign is crazy though. After I shot mine about an hour later another one ran by  a guy in our party and he couldn't get a shot. 

Saturday evening I was on a clover field and there was 4 does eating with a small 4 point buck. no chasing them and they were tolerating him fine. He was right in the middle of them all which I found odd given the chasing and fighting I have seen back home. 

• Like 1

My usual hunting party of (3) ended up going three for three in 5J.  My dad shot a spike, our friend got a doe and I shot a doe Sunday morning 10 minutes after getting off my stand and deciding to still hunt along the adjacent ridge.  Last year, I didn't even see a single deer and the last time I shot one in 5J must be 5 years ago.

• Like 4

The deer and the perfectly mushroomed Barnes removed from her.  The bullet entered the right shoulder, went through 1 lung, the liver, the stomach, and barely punctured the opposite wall of the stomach.  When I removed her innards, I saw the bullet in the stomach wall and of course when I went to grab it it sunk into the contents

This is was a free standing +/- 50 yard shot down a +/- 20 deg slope with her slightly quartering toward me.

567B3822-ADEB-4A7A-AB6C-AFB404B592C0.jpeg

D23ABCBB-7DB8-4C26-A420-61CDCF2AA2B9.jpeg

• Like 6