Any HVAC guys here?

Jeremy K

We are looking to upgrade our furnace and install A.C. as well. The current furnace is 20+ years old and will probably need to be replaced soon . Is there certain brands to stick with or stay away from? Is there certain features that are worth spending more for? Do yoiu have a guy or place you would recommend? We are gonna get one more winter from this one and most likely pull the trigger in the spring time.

There are only a handful of big name furnace brands out there, and even fewer manufacturers. At the same price point, I don't think they are materially different. It's arguably more important to select an installation company that is going to do the system sizing and install right, and then back up their work with a warranty and future service on the unit. I'm loyal to Capital Heating and Cooling (capitalheat.com). They are probably not the cheapest option. They have an annual service plan that costs about $350ish a year, and that includes an two checkups per year, free labor and discounted parts and filters. I do it for the peace of mind. First year is free on a new install. Large crew of techs, so if you do need them to come over, they send someone quickly.

• Like 1

As far as features, depending on the size of the house you are heating and cooling, I believe you can choose single speed, two-speed, or variable speed on the fan blowers. The more control you have on the fan blower, the less hard the a/c compressor or furnace has to work to maintain temps, iirc. (HVAC guys, call me on this if I'm wrong.) I also am a big fan of a whole house humidifier as an add-on option. They are a PITA to keep clean, but really need it for the winter. Last upgrade, get a programmable thermostat that you can control via wifi.

• Like 1

When you add ac you have to extend the return ducts high near the ceiling and have registers with dampers that close .High open in summer and low closed opposite in winter. I have been in houses that didn't do that and top floor never gets cool. In fact only need to do it in top floor. Good luck.

We have a high efficiency rheem that has worked well for 11years.  But, it does require an annual cleaning of the flame sensor.  I was told that its because we have a long vent line.  Other than that it works OK.  Don't forget a humidifier if its in the budget.  I hate being stuffed from dry winter air.

We use Boccacino for service but that's primarily because when my father was a builder, he used them.   They seem honest.  Not sure if they do work in Buffalo.

Edited by moog5050

Ok guys! U don't have to have return air dampers high In the wall! U should have one in each room yes. The furnace and a/c need to be sized properly to the house. Years ago everyone thought bigger was better! Not the case! 1st the furnace needs to be sized properly so that the heat exchanger isn't over heating! This is another reason for proper return air. But an over heating heat exchanger means premature failure. 2nd an a/c that isn't sized right will not let enough air over the coil and u will freeze part of it up. Which then u are losing efficiency! Also another reason to have enough return air! Also the humidifier. Yes! They are great for putting moisture in the air. But they can also save u money. U can turn the t-stat down a few degrees and still feels warm. Think about 70 degrees, 70 no humidity is cool. 70 with humidity warm. Air with moisture in it holds heat better! This is just my 2cents of being an Hvac guy for 20+years.