Rattlin'

nybuckboy

Rattled in my first buck last year.  I rattled and hit grunt tube a few times while doing that. Right after in the thick brush I see a small tree moving all over that a buck was raking.  Pissed him off for sure.  He came out down the trail 80 yards .  He started going the other way and I grunted again and he came on a rope to me.  A big body buck and was a short tine 7 point.  I passed on him but shouldn't have.  It was really cool.  

A week later rattled an 8 point to within 50yards . He was chasing and snort wheezing at a 4 point.  So tried rattling to get him to come over after he disappeared in the brush.  He came back out 20 minutes later but too far away and he saw me move to turn in stand. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Rattled in my first buck last year.  I rattled and hit grunt tube a few times while doing that. Right after in the thick brush I see a small tree moving all over that a buck was raking.  Pissed him off for sure.  He came out down the trail 80 yards .  He started going the other way and I grunted again and he came on a rope to me.  A big body buck and was a short tine 7 point.  I passed on him but shouldn't have.  It was really cool.  

A week later rattled an 8 point to within 50yards . He was chasing and snort wheezing at a 4 point.  So tried rattling to get him to come over after he disappeared in the brush.  He came back out 20 minutes later but too far away and he saw me move to turn in stand. 

What time of year was this? What time of day? How long did you rattle?

13 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

What time of year was this? What time of day? How long did you rattle?

The 7 point was late Oct and the 8 was the first weekend in Nov.  Both were am hunts.  During times of increased buck pics and pre rut/rut.  

I rattled with grunt call in my mouth.  I would rattle a little and throw in a couple of grunts. Only rattled for maybe 30 seconds.  The 7 was a blind rattle. The 8 I saw just a couple minutes before chasing that 4 so I knew he was wound up.

Like buck master said .... Have tried it on bucks I have seen, to try and get them to come over and they have just ignored me. But I usually try it a couple of times a season.  Don't know why it works and why it doesn't.  But if they are fired up already it seems to work better .  

• Like 1

I feel like It depends on how pressured the deer are... Last weekend i rattled in a fork buck around 830am in the rain. He started to rub some small trees and wondered where the action was. Last year a friend and i rattled in a massive 8 pt. Our stands on this property we strictly bow hunt are no more than 50 yds apart. We saw him come running in from about 200-250 yds away and stood between us as neither of us had a shot lol. This was late Oct. I use the knight & hale little plastic 2 piece set...