2018 Rut Report

Canis Latrans

I post this every year under the same title and the data is starting to become useful. In this thread I'm asking people to post the rut related activity in their area in a clear and concise format. In the later phases it's important to describe the activity you actually saw, because it avoids confusion of people using terms such as seeking, chasing and peak rut differently. Over time, these threads will gather enough information specific to this state to help predict future ruts.

The below example is what I'm seeing and the format to be used. Lets help ourselves and each other better understand the rut and save it here for next year. If you are someone who has always thought about keeping a journal, but you never actually write stuff down, you may be surprised at how much what you write here can help you next year. 

Area: Capital Region, around 4J
Phase: October Lull

Description: Limited movement just before sunset. A few small bucks are seen in pairs and light sparring has been observed. So far no rubs or scrapes have been found in my area. 

Edited by Canis Latrans
  • Like 2

Oct 1st afternnon

9W

had a small fork come back with a tallish spike that was under me earlier,  two small doe nearby .  fork horn was gently dogging one of the small does. chase her for 30 yards, she'd trot off, he'd chase a little more etc   don't think he knew what he was really doing but fun to watch

no scrapes or rubs found yet as of October 13th

I keep rattling in fork and basket bucks. The 1.5 year olds are pretty active on the rub lines daytime. No trail cam pics or sightings of mature bucks yet in 8H or 8G. One day a couple weeks ago i had multiple bucks on cam mid day all a few minutes apart, makes me think they were bumped out of bedding for some reason.

4H.... Albany Hilltowns

Trailcam pic's are showing few older bucks, compared to late September. Small bucks are starting to become "interested" in the doe's, but not really chasing them.

Rub lines and scrapes are really starting to pop up over the last three days, from a week ago.  I expect that to continue this week.

Drove the Taconic State parkway from Columbia County to the Sprain brook parkway in Yonkers late afternoon/early evening and saw ZERO deer. Pretty sure that’s a sure sign of October lock up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The “LULL”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 scrapes popped up in last few days 9w in general areas thet always do. bucks mostly noctournal on cam. does starting to get skittish around young buck who want to sniff anything that smells lije a deer.. 2 weeks till prime if i go by past years similar activities

• Like 1

4U

All does until last week, mostly at night. We have had this property mic'ed up since August when we signed lease. Now does coming out more in daylight, bucks at night. Just discovered a new 4, 6 and 10 pointer at night on our cams from last week. Only bucks coming out during day are our two spikes. Does are medium sized to large.